Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 07:43:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Goodfellas (1990)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodfellas (1990)  (Read 6663 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 02:10:31 PM »

5/5/15
Goodfellas 25th Anniversary Blu-ray (from a new "4k scan of the original camera negative, supervised by Martin Scorsese.")

This will be a 2-disc Blu, and will include a mix of old and new bonus content.

Kiss

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »

I have no problem buying this movie a third time (for a 4K transfer) but that cover is an eyesore if I ever saw one.

Great news though.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »

I have no problem buying this movie a third time (for a 4K transfer) but that cover is an eyesore if I ever saw one.
Not only that, but . . . where the hell is Joe Pesci?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 02:56:13 PM »

Good point.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 03:32:50 PM »

I bought the bare-bones BRD a little while ago; I was surprised that such a famous/great movie didn't have a more robust release like this new one looks to be.
Nevertheless, I won't buy the new BRD unless it's clear that there is a significant upgrade in image quality of the movie. I'm not buying the movie again just for an extra disc of bonus features or for a barely noticeable upgrade in image quality that would only be visible on a 60" screen. I'll wait to see what the comparison-screencap people have to say about this.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »

So "4K scan of the OCN supervised by the director" means nothing to you, huh? Yeah, don't trust Marty, he's the American Andrea Leone.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »

So "4K scan of the OCN supervised by the director" means nothing to you, huh? Yeah, don't trust Marty, he's the American Andrea Leone.

I didn't say it means nothing; I said I'll wait to see if there is a real noticeable difference. I'm not the most technologically knowledgeable person around, but my understanding that some of these upgrades are sometimes aren't very noticeable to the untrained eye especially if it's not on a huge screen. If there is a significant difference that I'd notice on my 32" TV, then I'll get it.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 06:59:44 PM »

The current transfer looks like dogfood.

For the new one they are going back to the OCN; they are doing a 4K scan; M.S. is supervising.

None of this was done for previous home video releases.

Yeah, you're going to notice a difference.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 10:47:06 PM »

Yeah, this is going to be worth the re-purchase and then some. Outside of seeing a pristine print in a theater, this is going to be the best way to see this movie. I'm pretty confident that it's going to be a noticeable upgrade and a new experience (to a point).

As someone who has purchased five copies of GBU, I can relate with drink's skepticism but 4K is definitely a legit reason to double dip (or triple or quadruple).

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 11:33:52 PM »

I'll get it when it's on sale at a Walmart Blu-Ray bargain bin for $7 in about six years. I love this film with the rest of the world, but 4K resolution or not, I probably catch this on A&E, Bravo, or AMC at least once a month and can't see myself paying money to re-watch it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 01:06:23 AM »

I'll cut and paste this post http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=6892.msg167161#msg167161 that I made in the "What Was the Last DVD You Bought?" thread when I bought the first BRD:

When I was 16 (in 2000), Channel 9 in New York played Goodfellas; I'd never seen the movie before, and I recorded it on videotape, on my 13-inch TV/VCR combo.

In the beginning of the movie, there was a short piece by Scorsese, explaining that they had trimmed some of the violence for TV, but that they had kept in enough to show how brutal the lives of the mobsters were. He emphasized that the movie wasn't attempting to glamorize the gangster life. He also emphasized that while the movie mostly focused on Italian gangsters, there were individuals of other ethnicities in the same mob, and the movie wasn't meant to stereotype Italians. Scorsese ended his introduction by saying I still remember this clearly "Finally, Goodfellas is the sad story of gangsters everywhere."

I watched that videotape (forwarding through the commercials, of course), of the pan-n-scanned movie with overdubs on the curses and toned-down violence, and musta re-watched it two dozen times over the next few years.

So, you might say that, as much as I love the movie, I've never seen the REAL Goodfellas. Well, I was in Best Buy in Union Square the other day and saw the Goodfellas BRD for like 9 or 10 bucks, and I bought it. I hope the movie will be as good in widescreen and with all the cursing and violence   Wink

I'm sure any BRD is better than the pan-and-scan videotape that I recorded off Channel 9 in 2000  Wink

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:08:27 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 01:24:38 AM »

As someone who has purchased five copies of GBU, I can relate with drink's skepticism but 4K is definitely a legit reason to double dip (or triple or quadruple).

For GBU, I have:
A) the MGM DVD (1998)
B) the MGM special extended cut DVD (first released in 2004; I got it in "The Sergio Leone Anthology" 2007 boxset)
C) MGM's original BRD (first released in 2009, I got it in "The Man With No Name Trilogy" 2010 boxset)
D) the Mondo BRD (2009)
E) MGM's second BRD (2014)

so yeah, I'm kinda nuts, too. And if they continue to release new versions I'll probably buy every one, even if they are awful.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:26:41 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 02:57:33 AM »

I'll cut and paste this post http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=6892.msg167161#msg167161 that I made in the "What Was the Last DVD You Bought?" thread when I bought the first BRD:

I'm sure any BRD is better than the pan-and-scan videotape that I recorded off Channel 9 in 2000  Wink

Which is most likely not pan and scan, but open matte. Pan and scan is usually only used for anamorphic shot films.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 07:48:29 AM »

Which is most likely not pan and scan, but open matte. Pan and scan is usually only used for anamorphic shot films.

so that means that I actually saw more on top and bottom of the screen (and the same on the sides) than what was in the theatrical version? I.e. they shot it in 4:3, cropped the top & bottom for theatrical widescreen release, but on TV showed the full 4:3 image?

IF this is so and filmmakers knew when making movies that they would be shown on TV in 4:3 I assume they composed the shots primarily for widescreen but also making sure that the full 4:3 image they shot looked decent (sort of like what filmmakers did in 1953-54, composing for both 4:3 and 1.85:1 cuz some theaters had the widescreen technology and some didn't) ... so I guess the open matte is much more legit than the pan-and-scan?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »

Scorsese even said (or was it Ballhaus?) he likes the open matte version of The Age if Innocence cause you are able to see in the dinner scenes much more of the delicate food on the tables. But that was a film shot in Super 35 (so I think), and there you see open matte much more on the bottom then on the top.

I think for open matte the Directors and DoPs only care that no mikes (or similar unwanted stuff) are in the picture. But the image composition is only done for the widescreen picture.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:08:22 PM by stanton » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM