Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:56:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Goodfellas (1990)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodfellas (1990)  (Read 6658 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »

For GBU, I have:
A) the MGM DVD (1998)
B) the MGM special extended cut DVD (first released in 2004; I got it in "The Sergio Leone Anthology" 2007 boxset)
C) MGM's original BRD (first released in 2009, I got it in "The Man With No Name Trilogy" 2010 boxset)
D) the Mondo BRD (2009)
E) MGM's second BRD (2014)

so yeah, I'm kinda nuts, too. And if they continue to release new versions I'll probably buy every one, even if they are awful.

I think for me it's:

MGM DVD (1998)
MGM DVD Extended cut (2004)
Sergio Leone Anthology
MGM original Bluray
Remastered Bluray

I can see me buying a sixth copy if they release another trilogy or Leone anthology with remastered transfers for FOD, FAFDM and DYS. I've basically accepted it at this point.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:27 PM »

I think for me it's:

MGM DVD (1998)
Sergio Leone Anthology
MGM original Bluray
Remastered Bluray

I can see me buying a sixth copy if they release another trilogy or Leone anthology with remastered transfers for FOD, FAFDM and DYS. I've basically accepted it at this point.

isn't the "MGM DVD Extended cut (2004)" identical to the GBU disc in "The Sergio Leone Anthology" DVD boxset?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 09:50:52 PM »

Yeah. I bought the anthology because FOD, FAFDM were remastered and DYS was finally being released on R1 DVD.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »

I think for me it's:

MGM DVD (1998)
Sergio Leone Anthology
MGM original Bluray
Remastered Bluray

so you're missing the Mondo BRD.

It's region-free, but it only has Italian audio.

I haven't really watched the Mondo BRD yet; I've only watched a minute or two of the opening scene on the Mondo BRD, but comparing it from memory to the original MGM BRD, the dirt of the ghost town is redder in the MGM and browner in the Mondo.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:17:55 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »

Yeah. I bought the anthology because FOD, FAFDM were remastered and DYS was finally being released on R1 DVD.

so if I own The Sergio Leone Anthology boxset and the 1998 MGM DVD of GBU, there is no need for me to get any other DVD's of any of the movies in the dollars trilogy, correct? I.e., there is nothing to be gained by me getting the original MGM DVD's of FOD/FAFDM, or any of the European DVD's of FOD/FAFDM/GBU?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 03:35:22 PM »

DJ is probably your guy to ask about any European release, but sadly I really don't find any difference between the remastered DVDs of FOD + FAFDM and their blurays. I popped both into my TV and compared and I honestly didn't notice a difference. Some may disagree but sadly only the R1 blus of GBU (4K), West and America (which badly needs a 4K release) are really relevant.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:44:31 PM by T.H. » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 05:36:24 AM »

The latest German Blu/DVD of FAFDM is completely uncut, and was made from a different, master than the MGM stuff. FoD is also from a different master. But the bonus material was taken from the MGM discs.

GBU (just like OUTW and DYS) is always the same version worldwide, except Italy.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »

The latest German Blu/DVD of FAFDM is completely uncut, and was made from a different, master than the MGM stuff.
Does it look better, or pretty much the same? Is it worth having ONLY for the uncut footage?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 12:42:54 PM »

I haven't compared, and actually never considered to buy any other Blu.

The missing footage was not very important for me. Apart from being uncut I bought it because it has the 2nd German dub and was cheap.

The 2nd dub has changed some parts of the score (well, you know the Germans know everything better Wink ), and there is one scene I love with that whydidn'tLeonethoughtofthat scoring.

The Blu looks pretty grainy, more than it probably should look imo on a 42" TV, but then, some say it's the best release worldwide.

For FoD I keep my beautiful DVD for the next years, even if the Blu might be a slight upgrade. On a 42" TV good DVDs are still sufficient.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:49:26 PM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 05:42:02 PM »

DJ is probably your guy to ask about any European release, but sadly I really don't find any difference between the remastered DVDs of FOD + FAFDM and their blurays. I popped both into my TV and compared and I honestly didn't notice a difference. Some may disagree but sadly only the R1 blus of GBU (4K), West and America (which badly needs a 4K release) are really relevant.

you should get the Ripley's Italian BRD of FOD. Someone is selling it on Amazon for less than $26 inlcuding shipping http://www.amazon.com/Per-Un-Pugno-Dollari-Italian/dp/B00416RQLA/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1422491621&sr=1-1&keywords=per+un+pugno+di+dollari

the BRD is region-free and you will be able to watch the main feature on any US BRD player (the bonus features are in PAL so you may not be able to watch them)  it is absolutely gorgeous, this is the disc I use anytime I want to watch FOD. check out Beaver's screencap comparisons between the MGM BRD and this Ripley's BRD http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/man_with_no_name_trilogy_blu-ray.htm

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 05:42:29 PM »

I assume the uncut footage stanton is talking about features (some or all of) the longer beating scene, and that extra bit of dialogue at the end of it where Groggy asks Indio, "Why let them live" and Indio replies, "All things in the right time." LeoneNut has compiled this extra stuff into this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCQp9rnsuEk

stanton, can you tell us if the uncut footage in the German disc features anything that is not on this LeoneNut video? Thanks

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 02:37:56 AM »

It's all minor stuff, but the situation is chaotic as every version seems to be different, at least slightly.

The differences between the MGM Blu and the Mondo Blu:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=558168

As fas as I know all this stuff is now on the German Blu. One scene was only on the MGM Blu, not on the Mondo. The German Blu is therefore a few sec. longer than the Mondo.

But I'm sure the next MGM Blu will contain all these scenes also. Just wait.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 03:00:17 AM »

is there anything on the German BRD that is not on that LeoneNut video I linked to in my previous post?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 03:31:42 AM »

Haven't you checked the link to censorship.com? It's all there.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 04:24:09 AM »

yes I checked that link but that link compares the Italian and UK BRD's, not the US and German like we are discussing here. (The US version is never mentioned on that page is the UK BRD mentioned there the same as the US BRD?) They do mention the German BRD in that initial paragraph but there is a lot of stuff about the various versions for each of the trims and it would be so much easier for me if you were able to simply answer if you knew the answer to - this question: Is there anything missing from the American BRD that is also not on that LeoneNut video? I want to know if, between the American BRD and that LeoneNut video, I have every bit of footage ever released from FAFDM; or if there is stuff that is missing from the American BRD besides for what is in that LeoneNut video. Put differently, is there anything missing from the American BRD besides for the beating scene and the dialogue immediately following the beating scene?

p.s. are we to assume that the Italian version of this movie is Leone's intended version?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:27:52 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM