Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:25:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Goodfellas (1990)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodfellas (1990)  (Read 6645 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »

Incredibly, there didn't seem to be a thread for this film until just now. But I needed somewhere to deposit this link, so . . .  http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/06/henry_hill_dead_dies.html

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:30:33 PM »

Incredibly, there didn't seem to be a thread for this film until just now. But I needed somewhere to deposit this link, so . . .  http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/06/henry_hill_dead_dies.html

and good riddance Henry Hill

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:41:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:17:44 AM »

Yeah, he was a scum-bag. My dad, who is a retired Deputy U.S. Marshal, had some dealings with him when Hill was in the WitSec program in Seattle (and my dad would want you all to know that there is no such thing as the "Witness Protection Program"--it's true name is the Witness Security Program). Hill got his new identity and his new life and almost immediately started dealing drugs again. A real piece of work.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »

Yeah, he was a scum-bag. My dad, who is a retired Deputy U.S. Marshal, had some dealings with him when Hill was in the WitSec program in Seattle (and my dad would want you all to know that there is no such thing as the "Witness Protection Program"--it's true name is the Witness Security Program). Hill got his new identity and his new life and almost immediately started dealing drugs again. A real piece of work.

Very interesting info, DJ. I remember Hill being arrested for drug dealing a few years back. Looks like he never kicked the habit, only he could only do it on a pathetic scale after turning coat.

Still, at least he helped put a decent number of mobsters away. And of course inspired a great film.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »

Like Sammy The Bull Gravano: he ratted everyone out, went into Witness Protection, then (after leaving the program) got busted for dealing Ecstacy. Now he's serving 20 years for the Ecstacy (which is about 10 times more than what he served for the 19 murders he participated in).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 02:18:01 PM »

Like Sammy The Bull Gravano: he ratted everyone out, went into Witness Protection, then (after leaving the program) got busted for dealing Ecstacy.
Witness Security.

I think in Hill's case he had to leave the program because he got busted dealing drugs.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »

Gravano decided to leave cuz it was too restrictive.

btw, he grew up 4 blocks from me. So I am very familiar with all the streets his book mentions. And I know one of his nemesis' -- it's the sister of the first guy he killed, since her brother was killed, she has this vendetta. She follows him around at every court appearance, is always bashing him on tv, always giving interviews.  It was a nice day for her when after all that, Gravano was finally put away for 20 years. She appears at 5:07 of this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1qXfEhvFk&feature=relmfu

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:05:34 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »

You know her from the neighborhood?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »

You know her from the neighborhood?

yeah

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:05:51 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 02:35:47 AM »

On Thursday, the FBI just arrested Vincent Asaro, a 78-year-old Bonnano family captain, and charged him with involvement in the 1978 Lufthansa heist immortalized in Goodfellas. (They actually arrested 5 mafiosi, and there are lots of other charges, including murder, but of course, the Lufthansa heist is getting the most press cuz of the Goodfellas connection.)

the story is, of course, all over the internet; here are just a few of the many available articles

The original news story from the NY Daily News http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/feds-charge-mobster-1978-lufthansa-heist-kennedy-airport-article-1.1588523

Here is another story, posted later Thursday, by the Daily News http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/vincent-asaro-mobster-linked-1978-lufthansa-heist-inspired-goodfellas-scene-article-1.1590840

CNN http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/23/justice/new-york-organized-crime-arrests/

Here's the initial story from the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/nyregion/arrests-in-cold-case-investigation-including-78-lufthansa-heist.html?hpw&rref=nyregion

Here's a later article from the NY Times about Asaro http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/25/nyregion/a-mob-life-on-the-margins-and-out-of-favor.html

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:58:48 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 04:24:16 AM »

I can't remember the role played by the Pesci character in the Lufthansa caper. As he helped in the eliminating of other participants I had assumed he got his share of the loot. While here it is said that The Gent De Niro took all. 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 06:12:13 AM »

It seems from these articles that Gent kept most of the money - he either killed the others involved or he cut them in for less than they should have gotten.... The Pesci character is based on Tommy DeSimone, i believe his body was never found (i.e. the way he is killed in Goodfellas is just the movie version). The movie doesn't say how much Pesci was involved in Lufthansa. But obviously, Pesci and Liotta had no problems with De Niro over Lufthansa

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:36:32 PM »

Well, DJ, what does Dad have to say about this?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 10:47:36 PM »

Titoli - I guess I didn't answer your question.... In the movie, I don't believe that Pesci is mentioned at all in connection with Lufthansa - no mention of planning the hesit nor of receiving any money.... However, i believe that the real-life Tommy DeSimone, on whom the Pesci character was based, just went missing one day and no one ever found his body, so who knows what really happened, and whether he was in fact killed by Gent over Lufthansa or by someone else over something else....... GET OUT YOUR FUCKING SHINEBOX

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 05:25:37 PM »

5/5/15
Goodfellas 25th Anniversary Blu-ray (from a new "4k scan of the original camera negative, supervised by Martin Scorsese.")

This will be a 2-disc Blu, and will include a mix of old and new bonus content.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:03:25 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM