Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:08:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Finding The "First Version"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finding The "First Version"  (Read 7681 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »

The Holocaust sucked too (in my opinion) but there's still museums for it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »

The Holocaust sucked too (in my opinion) but there's still museums for it.

That's at least as valid an analogy as castration.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »

Are you sure?

Cause according to the detailed Video Warchdog article (http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10564.0) this scene was not part of the 1969 145 min version, and first appeared in the 16 mm prints of the then slightly altered 145 min version in late 1970.

Here's what I wrote:
"Paramount also restored Once/West in 1985, saw that at the same place.  They passed out a sheet that detailed the additional scenes at the theater.  I had scene Once/West first run in 1969, and I did notice most of the additions (such as Harmonica lying wounded at the train station)."
I meant that in 1985 I noticed most of the additions.  In 1969 they did NOT show Harmonica wounded at the train station.

BGMurphy2012
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 04:08:35 PM »

Thanks for the many responses to my inquiry.  Unfortunately, no one seems to be able to point me to a source for the 139 minute version, and most seem happy about it!

I am undeterred in my pursuit to find a copy of the Ladd Company version, however.  I am anxious to see the deletions and differences to the better/Leone version.  I wonder, for instance, if the editor of the shortened version was attempting to track The Hoods more closely than Leone wound up doing.  For those that have seen the Ladd version, do you recall if it was released on VHS or DVD, or both?  Looking at Amazon, E-Bay, and Albiris, there does not appear to be any copies of the Ladd version available.  Also, many of the listings for sale omit the length of the version, which for those of us focused on this issue, makes those listings useless.

On a totally unrelated note, by coincidence, my daughter lives on Washington Street in Brooklyn, NY, and looks at the iconic picture of the Manhattan Bridge from the OUATIA VHS/DVD cover everyday.  People frequently stand in the middle of the street with their cameras taking shots of the amazing view.

Thanks again.

BGM

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »

This might be it. Emphasis on "might."

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Once-Upon-Time-America-VHS-/3114896

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »

Thanks for the many responses to my inquiry.  Unfortunately, no one seems to be able to point me to a source for the 139 minute version, and most seem happy about it!

I am undeterred in my pursuit to find a copy of the Ladd Company version, however.  I am anxious to see the deletions and differences to the better/Leone version.  I wonder, for instance, if the editor of the shortened version was attempting to track The Hoods more closely than Leone wound up doing.  For those that have seen the Ladd version, do you recall if it was released on VHS or DVD, or both?  Looking at Amazon, E-Bay, and Albiris, there does not appear to be any copies of the Ladd version available.  Also, many of the listings for sale omit the length of the version, which for those of us focused on this issue, makes those listings useless.

On a totally unrelated note, by coincidence, my daughter lives on Washington Street in Brooklyn, NY, and looks at the iconic picture of the Manhattan Bridge from the OUATIA VHS/DVD cover everyday.  People frequently stand in the middle of the street with their cameras taking shots of the amazing view.

Thanks again.

BGM

according to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_upon_a_time_in_america#Abridgments

"This shortened version, while briefly on VHS in the 1980's, is in little demand and almost impossible to find. However, Encore used to air this version during 2009."

I think that "tracking The Hoods more closely" is the last thing The Ladd Company cared about. (If it did, it would have completely removed the 1968 scenes, none of which appear in The Hoods!)

Groggy -- that eBay link you provided has no available products; it's a just a page created for anyone that wants to sell it, but there's no one selling it.

And thankfully so.

If you're ever successful in finding it, let me know that I lost. Just knowing that a copy is floating around would drive me insane

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
MatViola
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »

I saw the short version sometime in the 90s. I think it was on AMC, but I can't be sure. Because I was already so familiar with the long version, watching the short one made for an odd viewing experience, right from the first scene, which (if memory serves) shows young Deborah dancing "among the brooms and the empties" as the opening credits roll.

No idea where you might find it today. Perhaps Mary Corliss has a VHS copy.

Mat

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:38:59 PM by MatViola » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »

AMC likes to show a three hour cut from time to time.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »

AMC likes to show a three hour cut from time to time.

i saw that on the wikipedia page. they say that "version" also has no flashbacks.

so BGMurphy2012, if you wanna see a bastardized "version" of OUATIA, the AMC one will have to suffice.

(I wouldn't know cuz I never watch AMC. They hardly ever play movies anymore; it's mostly tv shows and infomercials. When they do show a movie, it's always in 1.78:1, no matter what the movie's proper aspect ratio is. And with the commercials... fugghedaboutit. it's utterly useless. I just stick with TCM all day and night  Smiley)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Vnisanian2001
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »

Hi, this is my first post here.

Actually, if you look at the boxart, it says "The original motion picture, as shown at the New York Film Festival." Also, the movie is split into two tapes. I don't think this would be the case at all, if it was the 139 minute version. Martin Scorsese even said that America eventually got to see the longer version,  later that same year in 1984, four months after the initial American release. The 1984 New York Film Festival was in October.

Finally, I could have sworn that when this movie first came out on VHS, WHV offered consumers the choice of either the short or longer versions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONCE-UPON-A-TIME-IN-AMERICA-VHS-VIDEO-1983-CLAMSHELL-CASE-2-TAPE-SET-/380457663144?pt=VHS&hash=item58950b3aa8

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:21:29 PM by Vnisanian2001 » Logged
rot66
Road Apple

Helllloooo!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 03:13:49 PM »

I have a Warner US VHS of this that I got in a trade back before the first DVD came out.

Really it wasn't as bad as I feared, but that could be because I knew the long version so well that my brain added in the missing parts automatically...
There is nothing there that is not in the long version.

Anyway, although an orignal, the VHS was in such a bad condition that when I played it it almost killed my VCR  (picture was great but the weels hardly turned around). And that was some 15-17 years ago so I don't think I will attemt to play it again now.

I'd love to find a DL of it though, as I like to have anything I can find of this movie.

Tor

Martin K
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 06:11:04 AM »

I WANT TO SEE IT TOO.

It's not like Leone would be rolling in his grave if I watched it. Because I've seen his cut. And I love it. It makes no difference whether or not I see the American cut at this point besides out of curiosity of how much someone else ruined a movie.

I agree. I would also like to see it. Whish a BluRay would come with the new version, the original european cut, plus the butchered US version.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM