Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 04:04:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  D.O.A. (1950)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: D.O.A. (1950)  (Read 2455 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:07:38 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042369/

D.O.A. (1950)

Previous posts from the Film Noir Discussion Thread, beginning here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg135248#msg135248

----------------

titoli: D.O.A. (1949) - Half ot the time one doesn't know what's going on and when you know it it's a let down. Still this is one of the faster-paced movies I know, with O'Brien always, literally, on the run. The italian distributor found smartly a good italian title fitting the original acronym : Two hours more (Due ore ancora). 7\10.

-----------------

dave jenkins Great ending though, what?

-----------------

titoli Bah...

-----------------
cigar joe: Just caught it again tonight on TCM I'll go one more point than titoli 8/10

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:53:58 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:18:35 AM »

Just saw the movie. I rented the dvd off Netflix; the quality was absolutely atrocious, both image and sound, one of the worst you'll ever see.

Beaver lists 5 dvd's of this movie (3 in NTSC) http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/doa.htm

the one that Netflix sent me isn't any of these: all the screen caps Beaver shows are FAR better than the image was on mine.With all those nice screencaps that Beaver shows, it appears that there are some good versions of the movie out there. So WTF does Netflix have to have such a crappy version of it  Angry

I don't know what company made this dvd that I got, cuz there is no logo that appears before the opening credits; on the physical disc is printed "Copyright 2007 Westlake Entertainment." But on the Netflx dvd sleeve, it says it's "Killer Classics, Disc 1," so I searched on Amazon and wonder if this may be it http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Classics-D-O-A-Stranger-Scarlet/dp/B0001MMGRW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340194420&sr=8-1&keywords=killer+classics+d.o.a.
however, some of the reviewers of this boxset on Amazon are saying the quality of the D.O.A. DVD is pretty good, so I wonder if this is really it, cuz the disc I saw was pretty bad

------------------------------------

As for the movie itself: it's hard for me to fairly rate this movie cuz, as mentioned above, the picture and audio quality on the dvd Netflix sent me was awful. But I think it's approximately in the 6/10 range. In other words, I wouldn't rush to see the movie even if I had a beautiful version of it....

O'Brien was good for this role. And Neville Brand -- in his first film role -- is actually skinny! But still the bad guy, of course  Wink

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:12:54 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:58:09 AM »

The last version I watched was out of the 10 Noir DVD tin box set (bought at Sam's Club), its a watchable version nothing to boast about.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:58:53 PM »

just saw the movie again, this time on TCM, and my opinion is very different now, I really really like this baby, I give it an 8.5/10. The stuff with the whiny girlfriend was a little annoying, and the scene where he finally professes his love to her was the worst one in the movie, slowing everything down at that moment, but otherwise this was a very good movie. The TCM print looked pretty good, perhaps that's a big reason why I liked it so much more  Wink I really loved O'Brien here, this was one of his best performances. Of course, nothing can beat his roles in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Wild Bunch (in which he is unrecognizable!) but from his pre-60's roles, I think this is my favorite  Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 05:55:09 AM »

Yea, the TCM print was the best I've seen. Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »

Yea, the TCM print was the best I've seen. Afro Afro Afro

in that case, how about TCM releasing it on DVD? Have they ever released a DVD of a public-domain film?

or else, maybe we should write to The Film Foundation or The Film Noir Foundation; perhaps Martin Scorsese or Eddie Muller will be interested in working on a proper release for this very good movie  Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:28:45 PM »

looking again at the 3 NTSC DVD's of this movie on Beaver's page http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/doa.htm

Two of them look decent: the ones from ROAN and Image Enetrainment. The Image Entertainment one is a little cropped, but in one of the screencaps the ROAN image has combing. So I decided to just buy both DVD's - they're so cheap anyway, I ordered both new on Amazon for $20.47 including shipping.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »

I was just looking at D.O.A.'s wikipedia page, it says, "The Internet Movie Database Shows that 22 companies offer the VHS or DVD versions..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.O.A._%281950_film%29 Wink anyway, as I mentioned in the previous post, I decided to order both the ROAN and Image Enteratinment DVD's, since they were so cheap anyway.

I received the ROAN version in the mail today. I didn't sit through the whole movie, but I flipped through the chapters just to check the quality. And I have to say that I am very pleased: Considering that it's a public-domain movie and there are so many bad versions out there, this one is pretty good. Far from perfect, but I wish that all public-domain movies had a release that looked at least as good as this does. There is one period where there is bad quality: from 1:12:36 until 1:21:05. Other than those 8 1/2 minutes, I am very happy with both the image and sound.

(In addition to a brief text-piece about the film), the ROAN DVD has a 7-minute bonus feature, a piece with Beverly Garland talking about the film (her first)   Garland (who died in 2008) spends part of the piece telling how she believes she was basically blackballed from Hollywood for 3 years: she says that after the movie was released, it was up for an Academy Award, and she was taken around by the studio's PR department to plug the film, and when a reporter asked her if she thought the film would win the Academy Award, she - being young, naive, and honest - said No, she thought another nominated film would win. Garland says that her agent found out that when it got back to the studio that she had said that she didn't think D.O.A. would win the Academy Award, the studio execs  advised everyone who asked about her not to hire her she even says that when she found this out and went to the execs to apologize, she says the execs flatly denied having ever blackballed her, but she believes that despite their denials, their blackballing was indeed responsible for her basically not working in Hollywood for 3 years.

This story takes up a nice chunk of Garland's 7-minute piece, but there is just one problem: D.O.A. WAS NEVER EVEN NOMINATED FOR AN ACADEMY AWARD! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin maybe they were asking if she thought it would get nominated for an Academy Award. Or maybe she confused the Academy Award nomination with some other award nomination. But whatever it is, this movie never got any Academy Award nominations. In fact, according to IMDB (and they list any stinkin award any movie ever gets,) the only award this movie ever got was that the National Film Preservation Board put it in the National Film Registry in 2004   Grin Grin Grin Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »

This story takes up a nice chunk of Garland's 7-minute piece, but there is just one problem: D.O.A. WAS NEVER EVEN NOMINATED FOR AN ACADEMY AWARD! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin maybe they were asking if she thought it would get nominated for an Academy Award. Or maybe she confused the Academy Award nomination with some other award nomination. But whatever it is, this movie never got any Academy Award nominations. In fact, according to IMDB (and they list any stinkin award any movie ever gets,) the only award this movie ever got was that the National Film Preservation Board put it in the National Film Registry in 2004   Grin Grin Grin Grin
Does this mean she wasn't blackballed by the studio either? What a nut!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »

I received the ROAN version in the mail today. I didn't sit through the whole movie, but I flipped through the chapters just to check the quality. And I have to say that I am very pleased: Considering that it's a public-domain movie and there are so many bad versions out there, this one is pretty good. Far from perfect, but I wish that all public-domain movies had a release that looked at least as good as this does. There is one period where there is bad quality: from 1:12:36 until 1:21:05. Other than those 8 1/2 minutes, I am very happy with both the image and sound.

Let us know how the IE disc looks too  Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 02:55:38 AM »

okay, I just received the Image Entertainment disc, and again, I skipped through a few chapters, watched a little to get an idea of what the disc is like.

Well, I definitely prefer the ROAN. Firstly, with the IE disc, every time someone speaks, there is a little vibrating sound in the speaker. That alone is enough to make the ROAN preferable.

Also, I think the IE has a lot more scratches and speckles, etc.

Btw, there is one major damage spot that shows up (during the scene where the band is playing at The Big Fisherman) on both discs, as well as on TCM's version, which means they all come from the same source. ROAN's DVD says they did a restoration, I have no idea if IE attempted any restoration.

As discussed previously, Beaver's screencaps show that ROAN has some more info in the image than IE does; the only reason I even considered the IE is that in one of Beaver's screencaps, there is some combing in the ROAN cap. But in the scenes I skipped through in the ROAN (and I watched a lot more of that disc than the IE one), I didn't notice any combing.

The ROAN image is windowboxed, the IE image is not.

Anyway, between the ROAN and IE, I definitely prefer the ROAN.

Btw, this film was preserved by the National Film Registry - shouldn't it have a normal DVD release with a major restoration?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:20:56 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »

okay, I just received the Image Entertainment disc, and again, I skipped through a few chapters, watched a little to get an idea of what the disc is
Btw, this film was preserved by the National Film Registry - shouldn't it have a normal DVD release with a major restoration?
Yeah, ideally. But PD titles rarely pay to have them restored. You have that kind of work done, you have to charge $25 a unit to make your costs back. Meanwhile the non-restored discs undercut your price and take your customers.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »

Yeah, ideally. But PD titles rarely pay to have them restored. You have that kind of work done, you have to charge $25 a unit to make your costs back. Meanwhile the non-restored discs undercut your price and take your customers.

yes, but isn't the whole point of a National Film registry to preserve a film for the sake of preservation of an artwork, and not out of a profit motive? (Believe me, I am not advocating for government to be involved in the arts in any way, but the sad fact is that) there IS a National Film Registry to preserve important films supposedly for the goal of simply preserving great artworks and not for profit. So what does the NFR accomplish if they don't even do a proper restoration/DVD release? Is it just that they have a copy of the film sitting in some archive in Washington? Big friggin' deal  Roll Eyes Yeah, I guess that means the film will never be "lost," there will always be at least one copy available, but still, the point of film preservation is so that it should be enjoyed by everyone, not buried in some vault in a big fancy building in Washington.
 I guess maybe the NFR only acts as a backup - to make sure there will always be a copy in existence and they don't release DVD's unless the film is totally unavailable otherwise.
I mean, I'm not expecting them to release DVD's of movies that have normal releases (in fact, they couldn't do that, cuz most movies are under copyright). But in the case of a movie in the public domain that doesn't have a great release yet.....
Considering that they have a NFR, it doesn't make much sense (but hey, I prefer it that way; the less taxpayer money spent on art, the better  Wink )

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:33:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 04:14:54 AM »

are you jive-crazy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMs4awnZ2pM  Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM