Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:50:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Screenings of the new extended version
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Screenings of the new extended version  (Read 11057 times)
SimRob
Chicken Thief

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »

I know there's already a thread on the new version of the film but since that already goes to 30 pages I thought it'd be useful to separate out some of the elements of it. So this is just for information about actual screenings of the new version. As far as I can tell there have been just three screenings of the film:
May 18 and 19 at the Cannes Film Festival
June 22 in Bologna (a public screening in the Piazza Maggiore. according to a posting on Facebook there were 7000 people there!)

It is to be shown at:
Locarno Film Festival in August 2012
France in September 2012

If anyone has any further info on screenings, or corrections to the above dates, please post! (which evidence to support)

Simon

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »

The restored version will be distributed in 70 theatres all over Italy for 4 days starting tomorrow.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »

The restored version will be distributed in 70 theatres all over Italy for 4 days starting tomorrow.

Shocked

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »

Shocked

The new official trailer:

http://www.primissima.it/film/trailer/trailer_ufficiale_di_c_era_una_volta_in_america/

(But why the face?)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »

cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
rexlic
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »

I saw a trailer listed elsewhere on the board, on YouTube, that looked extremely sharp.  But has this trailer for the restored version, with Scorsese narration, been listed here?  If so, I apologize; if not, enjoy.

www.gucci.com/us/worldofgucci/articles/once-upon-a-time-in-america-gucci-restoration

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »

In all this time I ain't heard nuthin about nuthin in America, whether theatrical screenings or dvd/BR release  Cry

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 07:05:09 PM »

OUATIA PLAYING AT FILM FORUM IN MANHATTAN NOVEMBER 23- NOVEMBER 29!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/sergio_leones_once_upon_a_time

But only a month till we'll be seeing this movie

YEEEEEEHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (or since this is OUATIA, Leone's non-Western, maybe "Mazel Tov" is more appropriate?)

btw, the description says 229 minutes, but it also says Andrea Leone films and Conematagrapheque de Bologna (or however you spell it), so I am sure it's the new restored version

if it plays, I'd prefer to see it on a real big screen (rather than on Film Forum's mini screen). But that's not terribly important either wat.

But wherever we see it We definitely have to take a Leone Board trip one of the screenings. maybe we can do another locations tour beforehand, leaving plenty of time to visit McSorley's?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:59:46 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:20:31 AM »

...btw, the description says 229 minutes, but it also says Andrea Leone films and Conematagrapheque de Bologna (or however you spell it), so I am sure it's the new restored version...

I hope for your sake it is the extended version but it sounds the same version as Rexlic saw at MoMA.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1302.msg160084#msg160084

The movie at MoMA had a similar description:

Restored through funding by Gucci and The Film Foundation, and in partnership with Cineteca di Bologna at L’Immagine Ritrovata Laboratory, Andrea Leone Films, The Film Foundation, and Regency Enterprises. 229 min.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:26 AM »

I hope for your sake it is the extended version but it sounds the same version as Rexlic saw at MoMA.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1302.msg160084#msg160084

The movie at MoMA had a similar description:

but didn't rexlic say he saw it at MoMA 5 years ago? 5 years ago, there was no restored version.

if anyone saw the version that played at MoMA last week, that is probably the same version that will play at Film Forum next month, no?

If Film Forum is now showing a version that has credits of Andrea Leone films, Cinematagraphique Bologna, et al., that would seem to be the restored version, no?

rexlic
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 05:50:56 AM »

I think we're all being confused by other people's phrasing and definitions.

The film I saw at MOMA is the 229 minute version, same as on the two-disc special edition DVD.  And that's the version I saw at MOMA five years earlier, which is before I owned the DVD.  So the montage near the end--Noodles looks down at the gun Max has put on the table, and fades into scenes from their childhood--was new to me in 2007, but it was the only difference that I recall between that and the two tape VHS version.

Per the Scorsese trailer I put up a couple days ago, Marty emphasizes the "restored" quality of the film, while also talking about additional scenes.  There is a very beat-up print of the scene where young Deborah dances in the back room, and then an overlay of what the cleaned-up print looks like.  So a cleaned-up version of the 229 "European theatrical cut" is being called "restored," at the same time that a "restored" version extending the film with the additional footage which has circulated on the board is being prepared.  This is where the confusion, it seems to me, comes from, and it was either disingenuous or plain wrong of Scorsese to not clarify that.  Similarly, the MOMA print from two weeks ago, with its credits to those who helped "restore" the movie, punts on the issue, and neither DeNiro nor the other two speakers spoke of the extended version at all, not ackowledging its existence, and not conceding that what we were going to see was the unextended result.

I presume at some point the board will develop some nomenclature for the two versions, but I wonder which of the two will be considered the standard movie going forward?  When the film comes out on some future technology, will it be the best possible print of the 229 minute cut as the standard, or will the extra scenes permanently be considered the standard?  And, as someone else has posted, what of the implications from Scorsese's remark that we've gotten closer to what Leone wanted, suggesting that even more could possibly be added at a later date?

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 05:58:08 AM »

but didn't rexlic say he saw it at MoMA 5 years ago? 5 years ago, there was no restored version.  if anyone saw the version that played at MoMA last week, that is probably the same version that will play at Film Forum next month, no?   If Film Forum is now showing a version that has credits of Andrea Leone films, Cinematagraphique Bologna, et al., that would seem to be the restored version, no?

My reading of Rexlic's post was that he saw the recent screening at MoMA which was 229 minutes long and similar to the two-DVD set version.  In his opinion it didn't look much better than a version he saw 5 years ago.  Fairly dark at times.

It was the "European theatrical cut," or the film as it appeared on the two-DVD set.  DeNiro spoke briefly--of course--and did say that he worked a year on the picture, and that Sergio seemed to never want to stop making the movie, the implication being so great was his enthusiasm for it.  I will say this: I saw OUATIA at MOMA about five years ago, and this didn't seem to be in better shape than I remember that print being, although it's quite possible the quality of the DVD has obscured my sense of its quality on the big screen.  Maybe it was just the projector's illumination, but it seemed fairly dark at times.  MOMA's presentation of Scorsese's restoration of OUATITW a few years back was a noticeable upgrade over my previous theatre-going experiences of that film.  Almost forgot: Burt Young was in attendance, and stood up to good applause prior to DeNiro's appearance.

Regarding the additional scenes, I've only seen mention of a deal on the Italian rights so perhaps some further negotiations need to take place.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:03:54 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »

why the fuck would they be showing all these screenings now of OUATIA, giving credits to Andrew Leone Films, Cinema di Bologna, et al, if it's the same version we've been able to see in America for the past 20 years?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:01:50 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »

Just to fuck with you, Drink, why else?

It does say: "this is the fully-restored Leone-sanctioned version released in Europe. Approx. 229 minutes, with 20 minute intermission. DCP." Did Leone come back from the dead to sanction a cut never possible in his lifetime? And how is it possible to add 25 minutes and end up with a running time of 229? You're being had, dude.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:17:32 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM