Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 08:17:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Screenings of the new extended version
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Screenings of the new extended version  (Read 10715 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »

Just to fuck with you, Drink, why else?

It does say: "this is the fully-restored Leone-sanctioned version released in Europe. Approx. 229 minutes, with 20 minute intermission. DCP." Did Leone come back from the dead to sanction a cut never possible in his lifetime? And how is it possible to add 25 minutes and end up with a running time of 229? You're being had, dude.

well I figured exactly the same thing you figured with the MoMA showing: that some dipshit just copied the standard "229-minute running time" that is listed for the movie.

Anyway, maybe the answer is that Andrea Leone Films, the Film Foundation, Cinema di Bologna, et al. bought the rights to the movie. Even though they bought the rights because they wanted to do the restoration, the bottom line is that now they own the movie, period. So from now on, anytime the movie is screened in any version, it will always say "Presented by Andrea Leone Films, Film Foundation, Cinema di Bologna, et al." ?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:03:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »

Okay, so I decided to just call Film Forum's box office (between 1-10 PM EST, a person will actually answer the phone, (212) 727-8112

the guy who answers says he is pretty sure that the version they will be showing will indeed be the version that premiered at Cannes, with the extra scenes restored. He is not certain about why the running time is listed as 229 minutes, but he says he is pretty sure that it's the Cannes version that will be showing.

He also suggested if we have any further questions, to email them to one of the following addresses:

info@filmforum.org

filmforum@filmforum.org

The screening is still a month away, but for now, I am pretty satisfied, the guy seemed to be sure of himself. I guess that as it gets closer to November 23, maybe we'll get more info.
As of now, there are no guests listed, and the guy I spoke too wasn't aware of any that will be there. But I am hoping that as it gets closer to the screening date, maybe they'll actually book a guest, and that's the showing I'd go to.
Scorsese? De Niro? I can dream. If De Niro came to MoMA, maybe he'd come to Film Forum.

btw, there is one thing I am still unclear about: did anyone here attend the screening at MoMA a week ago? If yes, what version did they show?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
rexlic
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 11:10:17 PM »

btw, there is one thing I am still unclear about: did anyone here attend the screening at MoMA a week ago? If yes, what version did they show?

I went, and as I've posted elsewhere, it was the 229 minute "European theatrical cut," or what's on the DVD.  And my guess is that that is what's coming to FF.

I think the MOMA screening, as part of their annual film preservation series, and this FF engagement were booked with the intent of showing the extended version.  But with the reports of the technical issues stalling that, they've settled for the restored--but not restored AND extended--version.  The Melbourne festival in July cancelled screenings since the extended version wasn't ready yet.

I hope to be proven wrong.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:27:07 PM by rexlic » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:20 AM »

I went, and as I've posted elsewhere, it was the 229 minute "European theatrical cut," or what's on the DVD.  And my guess is that that is what's coming to FF.

I think the MOMA screening, as part of their annual film preservation series, and this FF engagement were booked with the intent of showing the extended version.  But with the reports of the technical issues stalling that, they've settled for the restored--but not restored AND extended--version.  The Melbourne festival in July cancelled screenings since the extended version wasn't ready yet.

I hope to be proven wrong.

yeah, that makes sense; release of the extended version was delayed cuz they needed to do more work on it, so you think the venues that booked showings just decided to show the regular 229-minute version in the time slots that they'd originally intended to show the new version? That's an interesting point, although if that's the case, that FF is just going to show the 229-minute version, then why are they waiting until Nov. 23 to show it, instead of just showing it now, as MoMA did?
 Maybe the extended version is supposed to be ready by that time?

I guess there's no use worrying about it yet; I'll just call FF in 3 weeks and see if they have any updates...

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »

I think that L’Immagine Ritrovata Laboratory at Cineteca di Bologna restored the whole movie not just the additional unpublished scenes.

At MoMA they showed the restored version minus the additional scenes.  Possibly there are still copyright issues with these scenes.

Of course Warner Bros already has its own 229 minute version and from what I've seen and read the Cineteca di Bologna restored version may not be that much better than Warner Bros' own version.

rexlic
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 04:24:35 AM »

yeah, that makes sense; release of the extended version was delayed cuz they needed to do more work on it, so you think the venues that booked showings just decided to show the regular 229-minute version in the time slots that they'd originally intended to show the new version? That's an interesting point, although if that's the case, that FF is just going to show the 229-minute version, then why are they waiting until Nov. 23 to show it, instead of just showing it now, as MoMA did?
 Maybe the extended version is supposed to be ready by that time?

I guess there's no use worrying about it yet; I'll just call FF in 3 weeks and see if they have any updates...

MOMA's screening was set up in advance, being part of their now-concluded annual film preservation fest.  FF books their schedule well in advance; each calendar shows three months of repertory programming.  The current calendar goes from August 10-November 8; the upcoming one, with OUATIA, runs November 9 to February 7.  Who knows how far ahead it's booked?  If Melbourne cancelled in late July, maybe FF decided to go ahead anyway.

And maybe it will be the extended version.  Or maybe the "restored" 229 minute version is offered to meet contractual obligations, or maybe it means the extended version is a long way from being ready.  We'll see.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 06:24:17 AM »

This sounds right to me. The DCP of the European Theatrical Cut would be worth viewing though, even at only 229.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »

Umberto L. saw the new extended version at a theater in Italy about a week ago.  He found some of the new scenes a bit dark and seems unsure whether they improve or detract from the movie.  Some comments about "bright and intense colours, the usual deep contrast and a greater definition. Daylight scenes have never looked so beautiful and the camera movement got even more noticeable than in the past."

His score is as follows:

RESTORATION: 10/10

NEW SCENES:  8/10

http://mubi.com/topics/once-upon-a-time-in-america-2012-version-on-the-spur-of-the-moment-discussion-thread

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 02:23:33 AM »

The screenings in Italy last month were very successful and more than 10,000 tickets were sold.  The Space Cinema circuit have announced further screenings for 8th to 11th November 2012.

http://tinyurl.com/bpaz634

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:25:01 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 03:17:06 AM »

The screenings in Italy last month were very successful and more than 10,000 tickets were sold.  The Space Cinema circuit have announced further screenings for 8th to 11th November 2012.

http://tinyurl.com/bpaz634

did those screenings include the new footage?

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 01:47:05 AM »

did those screenings include the new footage?

Yes of course a 259 minute version including about 26 minutes of additional scenes.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:49:35 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 02:06:45 AM »

then I guess it's safe to assume that the upcoming screening at the Film Forum at the end of November will also have the new footage

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 04:10:41 AM »

then I guess it's safe to assume that the upcoming screening at the Film Forum at the end of November will also have the new footage

I hope for your sake it does but I'd be surprised.  In this case delays may not be a bad thing.  More time may allow the additional scenes to be enhanced further, the restoration of the 20 minutes or so of other additional scenes mentioned by Scorcese and some interesting bonus features.

Nominatrixx has uploaded all six blocks plus De Niro, Scorcese, Connelly, Taratino and Cool In Your Code clips:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Nominatrixx?feature=watch

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:13:03 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 05:34:08 AM »

I hope for your sake it does but I'd be surprised.  In this case delays may not be a bad thing.  More time may allow the additional scenes to be enhanced further, the restoration of the 20 minutes or so of other additional scenes mentioned by Scorcese and some interesting bonus features.

Nominatrixx has uploaded all six blocks plus De Niro, Scorcese, Connelly, Taratino and Cool In Your Code clips:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Nominatrixx?feature=watch

but if they are showing the additional footage at the Italian screenings then why would they not show it at the American screenings?

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 09:42:59 AM »

but if they are showing the additional footage at the Italian screenings then why would they not show it at the American screenings?

Just a guess but probably for the same reason that the new Blu-ray and DVDs are only being released in Italy at the present time.  The Leone family have only acquired the Italian rights.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:44:41 AM by chris » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM