Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 06:16:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  McSorley's
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: McSorley's  (Read 7422 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »

I guess this has been available for a while, but I just started noticing its presence in supermarket beer sections in Westchester County. I only saw the Irish Style Ale at first, but finally came across the Black Lager, which, in bottles, looks like this: http://www.epalla.com/2009/05/mcsorleys-irish-black-lager/

I'm not sure how these brews stack up against the stuff poured on the premises; it's difficult to say without doing a taste test in real time. Anyway, more research is indicated....

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

I guess this has been available for a while, but I just started noticing its presence in supermarket beer sections in Westchester County. I only saw the Irish Style Ale at first, but finally came across the Black Lager, which, in bottles, looks like this: http://www.epalla.com/2009/05/mcsorleys-irish-black-lager/

I'm not sure how these brews stack up against the stuff poured on the premises; it's difficult to say without doing a taste test in real time. Anyway, more research is indicated....

Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »

I don't think I tasted the dark brew at McSorley's, but I remember liking the light one  (is that what you call the "Irish Style Ale")?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »

I don't think I tasted the dark brew at McSorley's, but I remember liking the light one  (is that what you call the "Irish Style Ale")?
Yeah.

You didn't try the black lager? Are you kidding me? Were you born an idiot, or have you been working real hard on it lately?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

Were you born an idiot, or have you been working real hard on it lately?

Both. But I still don't like dark beers.

--

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer wheat beers.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:31:54 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
rexlic
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 03:17:01 AM »

Craziest thing: when I saw the film the other night at MOMA, I noticed for the first time that in the scene filmed at McSorley's--they skip the offer of a dollar to instead roll the drunk--there was a sign on the bar near the clock that said "128th."  1982 would have been the 128th anniversary of McSorley's opening in 1854 (this year is disputed by some NYC historians, but the bar has claimed it for decades), which would seem to be the time the scene was shot there.  The only reason I know such an obscure factoid is that a friend of mine cooked there for a few years in the early '90s and the bar's history becomes ingrained in your head like the sawdust on the floor clings to your shoes.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 05:49:20 AM »

Craziest thing: when I saw the film the other night at MOMA, I noticed for the first time that in the scene filmed at McSorley's--they skip the offer of a dollar to instead roll the drunk--there was a sign on the bar near the clock that said "128th."  1982 would have been the 128th anniversary of McSorley's opening in 1854 (this year is disputed by some NYC historians, but the bar has claimed it for decades), which would seem to be the time the scene was shot there.  
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel a new addendum to the SL Encyclopedia coming on..........

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:51:10 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:52:25 AM »

Craziest thing: when I saw the film the other night at MOMA, I noticed for the first time that in the scene filmed at McSorley's--they skip the offer of a dollar to instead roll the drunk--there was a sign on the bar near the clock that said "128th."  1982 would have been the 128th anniversary of McSorley's opening in 1854 (this year is disputed by some NYC historians, but the bar has claimed it for decades), which would seem to be the time the scene was shot there.  The only reason I know such an obscure factoid is that a friend of mine cooked there for a few years in the early '90s and the bar's history becomes ingrained in your head like the sawdust on the floor clings to your shoes.

Cool. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:03 PM »

stopped by here during my NYC film fest adventure. awesome bar. and it may be just because of my limited MA/NH upbringing, but is the McSorley's dark the most delicious beer ever or what? also the first time i've went to a bar by myself. awkward experience.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 04:21:12 AM »

Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:14:18 AM »

stopped by here during my NYC film fest adventure. awesome bar. and it may be just because of my limited MA/NH upbringing, but is the McSorley's dark the most delicious beer ever or what? also the first time i've went to a bar by myself. awkward experience.
Dude, you have friends in this town! No one should have to go to a bar alone if he doesn't want to. Next time, give us a ring.

The dark beer IS pretty tasty--even Drink would like it (it doesn't taste like a dark beer, D&D). Hmm, suddenly I'm kinda thirsty . . .

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »

it's not about whether or not you are alone when you go to the bar ... it's whether or not you are alone when you leave the bar  Wink

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »

should've thought ahead! I was there at 1PM so it was basically me, the townie drunks and some NYU hipsters. I'll definitely have to bring some friends down there when I visit NY next time I go / have more money...absolutely worth going back to

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 05:38:57 AM »

it's not about whether or not you are alone when you go to the bar ... it's whether or not you are alone when you leave the bar  Wink
Thank you, Casanova.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 12:11:21 AM »

Stopped by again with a few friends before Eric Clapton at MSG earlier this month... talked to one of the employees about OUATIA.

He claims that the scene filmed there was just a kid running into a bathroom. But here it sounds like it's the scene before they try and roll the drunk (which is what I previously thought). what was actaully filmed at McSorley's?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM