Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 04:38:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Naked Street (1955)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Naked Street (1955)  (Read 689 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048412/

The Naked Street (1955)

cast, courtesy of wikipedia

Farley Granger as Nicholas 'Nicky' Bradna
    Anthony Quinn as Phil Regal
    Anne Bancroft as Rosalie Regalzyk
    Peter Graves as Joe McFarland
    Else Neft as Mrs. Regalzyk
    Sara Berner as Millie Swadke
    Jerry Paris as Latzi Franks
    Mario Siletti as Antonio Cardini
    James Flavin as Attorney Michael X. Flanders
    Whit Bissell as Dist. Atty. Blaker
    Joe Turkel as Shimmy
    Joyce Terry as Margie
    Harry Tyler as I. Barricks
    Jerry Hausner as Louie

from the RTLMYS thread:
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg166795#msg166795
so sayeth cigar joe:

The Naked Street (1955) a re watch, good film, starts off strong with a couple of goons setting fire to a body under the Brooklyn Bridge then switches gears to Noir Lite. Anthony Quinn, Farley Granger, Anne Bancroft, Peter Graves, and a small walk on by Lee Van Cleef. It's got a bit of a Scarface vibe. Streaming on Netflix 7/10

Lee Van Cleef in this, compared to his Westerns, plays the closest I've seen to Col. Mortimer in FAFDM.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »

so sayeth cigar joe:

The Naked Street (1955) a re watch, good film, starts off strong with a couple of goons setting fire to a body under the Brooklyn Bridge then switches gears to Noir Lite. Anthony Quinn, Farley Granger, Anne Bancroft, Peter Graves, and a small walk on by Lee Van Cleef. It's got a bit of a Scarface vibe. Streaming on Netflix 7/10

Lee Van Cleef in this, compared to his Westerns, plays the closest I've seen to Col. Mortimer in FAFDM.

I just saw this on TCM

I give it a 7.5/10

Farley Granger (who somehow was first-billed, above Anthony Quinn, even though Quinn is a much better actor and, more importantly, clearly has the lead role in the movie) is hilariously bad as the gangster. He's trying to talk tough with some sort of Brooklyn Italian accent and fails miserably (just like Granger fails miserably at almost everything else he ever did, except somehow landing big movie roles). Yeah, this is one of those situations where he so hilariously bad that it's enjoyable to watch.

I don't see any Col. Mortimer here. To the contrary as I've noted elsewhere, Van Cleef used to speak very quickly until the Leone movies; he speaks much more slowly in the Leone films than he did before, like in Ride Lonesome, he speaks very quickly, and IMO it reduces his menacing-ness. In The Naked Street, (in which he has a very brief part) he also speaks really quickly. Can you elaborate on what you mean about this being the closest to Mortimer?

Of course this movie has to try (and usually fail) with the ethnic stuff, like the terrible Italian-gangster accent by Granger and Van Cleef playing a Jew who is a diamond fence has a bag of diamonds and says, "I have a guy who will take the whole shmear off my hands" - there has probably never lived a single Jew in the history of the world who has used "shmear" in that context. Another funny-bad moment  Grin

This movie was yet another case of an absolutely needless narration. They could have used the reporter character without him doing narration. Or they could have minimized his use of narration. As it is, he does so much useless narrating, and narrating the story instead of seeing action I think my single-biggest complaint about film noir (maybe my only one) is how much needless narration there is, and this movie is another example of that. And btw, when they do have narration, they should make sure the character has a voice that is pleasing to listen to. This narrator has an annoying voice.

Yeah, this movie definitely has some Scarface in it (the gangster obsessed with his sister; creepy but not as overtly sexually as in Scarface). You can also say there is some of The Public Enemy here, the gangster's mother (and sister) are sort of hear-no-evil see-no-evil about their son and brother who is now a big gangster.

In general, there seem to be lots of movies of the hotshot gangster coming back to the old neighborhood. Quinn driving his fancy car through the slums, paying a kid a few cents to watch it while he eats dinner by his mom, the jokes about seltzer, etc.

Also, a bit of the social consciousness that was in the gangster films of the late 30's, with Quinn talking about how the streets of the slums were his "college."

SPOILER ALERT TILL END OF POST

also, at the end, Quinn coming home and dying a violent death, that is reminiscent of The Public Enemy.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 03:23:58 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:13:43 AM »

I think I may have meant he looks like Mortimer, I'd have to watch it again

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:18:24 PM »

I don't see how he looks any more like Mortimer here than anywhere else. No mustache here, none of Mortimer's clothing, just one scene and he wears (as I recall) a white shirt and dark pants. No pipe, either. And none of the mannerisms or whatever. I don't see any comparison to Mortimer in any way, any more than any other early Van Cleef role.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »

something about the white shirt (tie I think too) and dark pants combo the way he moved it gave me an impression of Mortimer.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 12:07:11 AM »

here is the full movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXdbHPuca_Y

The Van Cleef scene begins around the 51-minute mark.
In fact, start watching it from a few seconds earlier, at 50:46. Because there is an interesting line right there: Quinn talks about how you've got to forget "personalities" -  "No personalities; just business." Everyone knows about the famous lines from The Godfather movies of a gangster saying it's not personal, just business (The Godfather: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qvpcfYFHcw and The Godfather Part III: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuelKjBlmqE). But 17 years before The Godfather, The Naked Kiss has a gangster talking about how something is not personal, just business although The Naked Street uses the word "personalities" rather than "personal." (IMO, "personal" fits much better than "personalities.")

Furthermore, I just also saw Tycoon (1947), released eight years before The Naked Street. Tycoon is not about gangsters; it's about John Wayne, an engineer, trying to blast a tunnel through a mountain, and Wayne's boss, played by Cedric Hardwicke, gets upset with Wayne when Wayne falls in love with Hardwicke's daughter (Laraine Day), and the Hardwicke starts making life miserable for Wayne and his crew. Wayne gets upset and screams that the boss "has no right to mix personalities with business."

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 03:29:05 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »

I just might pick this one up too.  Anthony Quinn and Farley Granger.  How can they mess this up?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »

I just might pick this one up too.  Anthony Quinn and Farley Granger.  How can they mess this up?
not hard to mess this up: Granger may get the hots for Quinn and decide not to marry Anne Bancroft after all ...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM