Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2018, 05:44:52 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Robert Osborne (1932-2017)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Robert Osborne (1932-2017)  ( 965 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« : March 06, 2017, 04:12:23 PM »

I suspected this was coming: https://twitter.com/TCMPR/status/838826170183462912

« : March 06, 2017, 04:14:07 PM dave jenkins »

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : March 06, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »

RIP  :'(

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #2 : March 06, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »

Not the sort of news I enjoy hearing.

May he rest in peace.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #3 : March 06, 2017, 11:00:33 PM »

Obituaries:

NY Times https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/movies/robert-osborne-dead-turner-classic-movies-host.html

LA Times https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-robert-osborne-dies-20170306-story,amp.html

Associated Press https://www.google.com/amp/losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/03/06/robert-osborne-genial-face-of-tcm-dead-at-84/amp/

« : March 06, 2017, 11:12:56 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #4 : March 07, 2017, 06:34:01 AM »

I always liked Osborne's intros on Turner. His book of the Academy Awards is very useful; I consult it frequently.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #5 : March 08, 2017, 02:38:30 AM »

TCM will honor Osborne on March 18 and March 19 by showing 48 hours of his interviews

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/98866572/

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #6 : March 08, 2017, 02:50:08 AM »

Is it too soon or inappropriate to ask about who will replace Osborne?

I really hope that TCM does not expand Tiffany  Vazquez's role. She is not a good host. She sounds just like she is reading off a teleprompter. She is not enjoyable to watch. I  have no doubt that she loves classic movies, but so do many other people. In order to be a good TV host, you have to have that talent of speaking in a way that people enjoy listening to her. And IMO she absolutely does not have that.

I know that TCM is trying to branch out and not iust be for a bunch of old people who like old movies. Hiring a young (Hispanic) girl is a way for them to reach out and hopefully bring in more young people. Fine. As annoying as I find her, I can live with her one day a week. But I hope they do not expand her role. And I do not like Ben Menckewiecz either. And I do not want a bunch of subpar guest-hosts like they had been doing during Osborne's illness. I hope they find someone good to be the new permanent host - I do not give a damn what age, gender, or race he/she is. Just someone whom I enjoy watching. I enjoyed watching Robert Osborne. I do not enjoy watching Ben Menckewiecz or Tiffany Vazquez. You gotta have talent. Loving movies and knowing how to read a teleprompter is just not good enough.

« : March 08, 2017, 08:12:34 AM drinkanddestroy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #7 : March 08, 2017, 06:01:27 AM »

I really hope that TCM does not expand Vazquez's role.
Of course they will. The people in place are the ones who are going to fill the vacancy left by Osborne who is, as everyone rightly says, "irreplaceable". Expect more Ben also.

Finding good hosts is not easy. The people who hire hosts don't know what to look for. Osborne himself only got his gig on a fluke--he happened to be at the right party at the right time and impressed some guy with his knowledge of cinema. Then he had a meeting with Ted Turner and the two hit it off. That was it. There was no screen test, no self tape. It's a nutty industry.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #8 : March 08, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »

I always liked Osborne's intros on Turner. His book of the Academy Awards is very useful; I consult it frequently.

I'm not a huge fan of the Academy Awards for reasons with which I'm sure many people here will empathize. However, it does provide a wonderful snapshot into movie history. I just looked up the book on Amazon and it certainly looks good. I think I'll add it to my ever-growing shopping cart...

Of course they will. The people in place are the ones who are going to fill the vacancy left by Osborne who is, as everyone rightly says, "irreplaceable". Expect more Ben also.

Finding good hosts is not easy. The people who hire hosts don't know what to look for. Osborne himself only got his gig on a fluke--he happened to be at the right party at the right time and impressed some guy with his knowledge of cinema. Then he had a meeting with Ted Turner and the two hit it off. That was it. There was no screen test, no self tape. It's a nutty industry.

Isn't that how essentially every profession works? Being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people is worth more than anything these days.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #9 : March 08, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »

TCM will honor Osborne on March 18 and March 19 by showing 48 hours of his interviews

Thanks for the heads-up. Time to set the DVR...

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #10 : March 09, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »

TCM will never be the same without him. He was a great TV presence that was very knowledgeable and just as likable.

He will be missed.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #11 : March 19, 2017, 12:13:38 AM »

TCM is in middle of showing a marathon of interviews conducted by Robert Osborne. It will end on Monday at 6:00 a.m.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines