Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 05:32:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)  (Read 17918 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »

I'll repeat what I said to d&d watch again when you are older. Currently on TCM there is a spot running on Bacall with Kelsey Grammer droning on about the chemistry  between Bacall and Bogart in To Have and Have Not and The Big Sleep he illustrates this with this bit of dialog from The Big Sleep--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                                                                                     Vivian: Speaking of horses, I like to play them myself. But I like to see them workout a little first, see if they're front runners or comefrom behind, find out what their whole card is, what makes them run.
Marlowe: Find out mine?
Vivian: I think so.
Marlowe: Go ahead.
Vivian: I'd say you don't like to be rated. You like to get out in front, open up a little lead, take a little breather in the backstretch, and then come home free.
Marlowe: You don't like to be rated yourself.
Vivian: I haven't met anyone yet that can do it. Any suggestions?
Marlowe: Well, I can't tell till I've seen you over a distance of ground. You've got a touch of class, but I don't know how, how far you can go.
Vivian: A lot depends on who's in the saddle.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------It sounds so scripted compared to the dysfunctional and very believable dialog between Bennie and Elita. It is part of the magic of the film as a whole if don't relate to it you are missing a key ingredient.   

I think that was one of the scenes in the Big Sleep that was added in at the behest of the producers or something. The original version (available on DVD with the more well-known theatrical release that includes the scene above) is rather more elusive in terms of plots and characters.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »

Any way to re-work the size on this page? It's waaaaaaaay to wide  Wink

I do agree that the lines in The Big Sleep sound way too scripted. But as for BMTHOAG, my issue is not with the relationship between Oates and the girl. It's just that I don't share Peckinpah's fascination (or whatever term you want to use) with violence for violence's sake. It's not that I am appalled in a moral sense; I just don't find it very interesting. Bllodshed and more bloodshed and more violence and more bloodshed. Yawn. I get it. Everybody gets blown apart. Peckinpah was a deeply disturbed guy. Yawn. Violence. Not very interesting. I've never been a fan of his. Maybe I will watch the movie again one day. Along with all the other Peckinpah movies I don't like  Tongue

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »

Alfredo Garcia is a plotless mess but there's something compelling about it as an experience. I need to see it again to draw a proper bead.

As for CJ's general comments on age/life experience I'm quite willing to believe he's driven across Mexico killing gangsters with a hooker by his side. Not all of us are that way inclined though. Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 04:50:05 AM »

Any way to re-work the size on this page? It's waaaaaaaay to wide  Wink

I do agree that the lines in The Big Sleep sound way too scripted. But as for BMTHOAG, my issue is not with the relationship between Oates and the girl. It's just that I don't share Peckinpah's fascination (or whatever term you want to use) with violence for violence's sake. It's not that I am appalled in a moral sense; I just don't find it very interesting. Bllodshed and more bloodshed and more violence and more bloodshed. Yawn. I get it. Everybody gets blown apart. Peckinpah was a deeply disturbed guy. Yawn. Violence. Not very interesting. I've never been a fan of his. Maybe I will watch the movie again one day. Along with all the other Peckinpah movies I don't like  Tongue
  looks ok here  Huh

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 05:19:22 AM »

No, it's extremely wide

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 05:49:28 AM »

Alfredo Garcia is a plotless mess but there's something compelling about it as an experience. I need to see it again to draw a proper bead.

As for CJ's general comments on age/life experience I'm quite willing to believe he's driven across Mexico killing gangsters with a hooker by his side. Not all of us are that way inclined though. Cheesy
Your loss. You do't get it. You've never had a wild hair up your ass.  You got to live a little you had to be there "60-70's" I've driven across Montana with a twelve pack on the pickup seat between us. You used to be able to go to a bar and ask for a to go cup and go right out the door. I've known several dysfunctional strippers and have been to whorehouses too.  I knew a woman who had a beat up purple 60 Cadillac coupe deville convertible that laid a Contrail plume of blue smoke down the highway. I've shot pistols out of moving cars/trucks. I landed at a Central American dirt airport and was picked up by a taxi with no doors.  I also have a few Mexican & Spanish friends. You guys have to get out of your safe PC Disneyfied little worlds.     Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 05:53:32 AM »

No, it's extremely wide
The whole thread or just near the end?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 07:12:30 AM »

The whole thread or just near the end?

the first page was wide  cuz of your first post. Then this page is wide cuz of the top post, which quoted a wide post from the previous page

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »

I've never spent time in a concentration camp yet I can appreciate Schindler's List. That's not much of an argument.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »

I've never spent time in a concentration camp yet I can appreciate Schindler's List. That's not much of an argument.
  for you no

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »

the first page was wide  cuz of your first post. Then this page is wide cuz of the top post, which quoted a wide post from the previous page
any better now?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »

Perhaps the movie's made only for people with your specific life expedience CJ. If so it has a very limited audience, but obviously an appreciative one. Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »

Perhaps the movie's made only for people with your specific life expedience CJ. If so it has a very limited audience, but obviously an appreciative one. Afro

Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »

l

o

n

g

p

o

s

t

t

o

g

e

t

t

o

n

e

x

t

p

a

g

e

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »

starting on p. 3, please don't quote anything from pages 1 or 2, so that the page won't be too wide  

Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM