Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 03:27:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)  (Read 17866 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »

there. now we got to p. 3, so please do not quote any posts from p. 1 or 2, and the width should be ok Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »

there. now we got to p. 3, so please do not quote any posts from p. 1 or 2, and the width should be ok Smiley
Ok  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »

Nice job drink Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 07:29:33 AM »

While I more or less agree with Groggy on the movie (that I'll give another shot soon), I wanted to say: CJ, you just earned a place in my quotes notebook.
Yesterday evening, I finished shooting a short that speaks about that:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102016858654402308311/albums/5790183756148488097

I know you understand a bit of French, CJ, so here is the greatest Belgian song ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDi5TyWG-9o

"Jojo
Nous parlons en silence
D'une jeunesse vieille
Nous savons tous les deux
Que le monde sommeille
Par manque d'imprudence
Six pieds sous terre, Jojo, tu espères encore
Six pieds sous terre tu n'es pas mort"

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »

Alfredo Garcia is a plotless mess but there's something compelling about it as an experience.
Plotless mess? Not the version I saw. Maybe you forgot to turn on the subtitles?

If I remember the story goes something like this. Benny hears about the reward on Alfredo Garcia's head. Then he hears that "Al" is already dead, so he figures he can go and dig up the body and take the head back and claim the reward, no problem. He brings along his old lady who knows where to find the body. She gets cold feet but it doesn't matter cause some other guys ambush them, kill her, knock out Benny, and take the head. Benny gets the head back, but in the hot weather it's starting to attract flies so he stops to get some ice to chill the thing down. While he's doing that the guys he took the head from overtake him, see what he's up to, then go on a ways to lay an ambush for him. When Benny gets to the ambush things look bad for him, but Robert Webber and Gig Young, 2 homosexual hitmen, show up and save the day. With just about everybody in the movie dead, Benny goes back to claim the reward. The killing continues.

Hmm, pretty simple, no? I didn't mention the Kris Kristofferson cameo, but then, why should I? Plotless mess? I DON'T THINK SO.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 04:01:56 PM »

While I more or less agree with Groggy on the movie (that I'll give another shot soon), I wanted to say: CJ, you just earned a place in my quotes notebook.
Yesterday evening, I finished shooting a short that speaks about that:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102016858654402308311/albums/5790183756148488097

I know you understand a bit of French, CJ, so here is the greatest Belgian song ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDi5TyWG-9o

"Jojo
Nous parlons en silence
D'une jeunesse vieille
Nous savons tous les deux
Que le monde sommeille
Par manque d'imprudence
Six pieds sous terre, Jojo, tu espères encore
Six pieds sous terre tu n'es pas mort"
  some of it  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »

Plotless mess? Not the version I saw. Maybe you forgot to turn on the subtitles?

If I remember the story goes something like this. Benny hears about the reward on Alfredo Garcia's head. Then he hears that "Al" is already dead, so he figures he can go and dig up the body and take the head back and claim the reward, no problem. He brings along his old lady who knows where to find the body. She gets cold feet but it doesn't matter cause some other guys ambush them, kill her, knock out Benny, and take the head. Benny gets the head back, but in the hot weather it's starting to attract flies so he stops to get some ice to chill the thing down. While he's doing that the guys he took the head from overtake him, see what he's up to, then go on a ways to lay an ambush for him. When Benny gets to the ambush things look bad for him, but Robert Webber and Gig Young, 2 homosexual hitmen, show up and save the day. With just about everybody in the movie dead, Benny goes back to claim the reward. The killing continues.

Hmm, pretty simple, no? I didn't mention the Kris Kristofferson cameo, but then, why should I? Plotless mess? I DON'T THINK SO.
  Its maybe a age thing something like a deer in the headlights reaction for d&d and Groggy they see a woman's jugs and  they loose focus on everythig else Cheesy

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »

"I love the Young People!" - Old Man Jenkins

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »

Its maybe a age thing something like a deer in the headlights reaction for d&d and Groggy they see a woman's jugs and  they loose focus on everythig else Cheesy

I'm more turned on by girls who like TCM. Kiss

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 05:12:22 AM »

It certainly is not plotless. If it is a mess is another question.

And it certainly is not a film which contains violence for the sake of violence. Leone's Dollar trilogy, and Leone in general (and the SW in general too) belongs to that category. Of course, violence for the sake of violence is always great.
Peckinpah's films are different, but also great. Mostly.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 01:13:19 PM »

so here is the greatest Belgian song ever:

Brel was a noted Belgium nationalist. Apart from the fact that he made at least 30-40 songs just as excellent.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »

I wouldn't exactly call it a "plotless mess," but I'd say that the movie is about violence first and foremost, and just doesn't interest me. At the beginning, Benny has some sort of direction, but once his babe gets killed and he starts traveling with the head, he gets nuts. But ultimately it's about violence violence violence. And it gets pretty tiresome. I am not fascinated by any of Peckinpah's movies.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »

I wouldn't exactly call it a "plotless mess," but I'd say that the movie is about violence first and foremost, and just doesn't interest me. At the beginning, Benny has some sort of direction, but once his babe gets killed and he starts traveling with the head, he gets nuts. But ultimately it's about violence violence violence. And it gets pretty tiresome. I am not fascinated by any of Peckinpah's movies.
wrong---- it has violence yes But it also has so much more I would say it has one of the most poignant doomed love stories in all of cinema

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »

wrong---- it has violence yes But it also has so much more I would say it has one of the most poignant doomed love stories in all of cinema

yes the "love story" is interesting, but is really a sideshow. I mean, the babe doesn't even show up until a quarter into the movie, and is dead by the time we hit the halfway or two-thirds mark. The failed love, with Benny screaming "it wasn't worth it, it wasn't worth it!" leads to his madness, along with "Al" traveling next to him. But I certainly wouldn't say it is a story ABOUT doomed love.

Maybe I can't understand it cuz I've never visited a whorehouse, shot a gun or drank a beer while driving a car. In that case, there's a very high number of people who can't enjoy the movie.

p.s. to the extent that society has attempted to eradicate drinking-and-driving, that is entirely a good thing

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:57:48 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2012, 07:25:34 AM »

yes the "love story" is interesting, but is really a sideshow. I mean, the babe doesn't even show up until a quarter into the movie, and is dead by the time we hit the halfway or two-thirds mark.
But she never leaves the movie. She's there with Benny up to the end. That's why he does what he does.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM