Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 10:32:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Who would´ve preferred a cut with a bit more action?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who would´ve preferred a cut with a bit more action?  (Read 2803 times)
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »

The only thing about OUATITW there´s a bit TOO much dialouge for my liking between the main characters.... Which I felt compromised the balance of the film.

I would have prefered a cut where you see Mr Choo Choo´s train getting raided and maybe Cheyenne´s escape....   We were spolit for action in GBU.

But everyone is different  Cheesy

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:37:46 PM by emmo26 » Logged

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »

Nah.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »

Never

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »

well Leone loved doing what Frayling says he called "cinema indirecto" or something like that, meaning "indirect cinema." Nothing is given to you directly. eg. It's more powerful when Frank just shows up and sees the aftermath of the fight between his men (now working for Morton) and Cheyenne's men. Similarly, it's only a few minutes after Cheyenne arrives at the trading post and raises his arms that we see he is in handcuffs, and realize he is an outlaw. So things are told indirectly; that is one of Leone's trademarks, and what makes him IMO the greatest storyteller in movie history.

No doubt, OUATITW features far less action than the Dollars films. (Frayling always quotes a critic who says that the movie is like an "opera where the arias aren't sung, but stared.") I guess Leone figured that by this time audiences trust him, and don't require a shootout every ten minutes to stay interested. Coincidentally or not, this film wasn't nearly the success that the Dollar films were, upon initial release (although the severe cutting that Paramount did may well have affected that; the movie did exceptionally well in France, where I believe it was not cut at all).

OUATITW is Leone's homage to the American Western; that's why it features the stock characters from the AW that Leone generally avoided in the Dollars films. Perhaps that's another reason why he had limited violence until the final showdown -- just like many AW's did.

And there was a scene of Harmonica getting beaten up by the sheriff's deputies that was cut. Anyway, while bit more violence wouldn't have hurt the film, it's great as is, and certainly, I wouldn't want any reduction in the "cinema indirecto" just for the sake of more violence. There is a reason this film placed highest among all westerns on the directors poll of Sight & Sound  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »

Yeah, OUATITW is a much more leisurely-paced, elegiac sort of film than the Dollars movies. More action is the last thing it needs.

Saturday nights with Groggy
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »

"cinema indirecto"

Everyone praised the cut where Angel eyes visted the outpost...opposed to everyone´s suprise when he just turned up at Batterville.

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:56:59 AM »

"cinema indirecto"

Everyone praised the cut where Angel eyes visted the outpost...opposed to everyone´s suprise when he just turned up at Batterville.

OUATITW deviates a lot from the "dollars" trilogy. I would leave the movie the way it is in it's current cut.

Also, if I remember correctly, the scene you mention from GBU was always in the Italian cut, but was never included in the English version.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:27:01 AM by O'Cangaceiro » Logged
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:57 AM »

You don't run the halfback up the middle every play....

Fine as it is.  The opening scene - the waiting - so typical then, as train may show up 6 hours off schedule or more.  Nowadays, an airplane machine is 10 minutes late, and people get impatient....

The McBain ranch - well outside of town, yes, took a long time to get there, no 10-minute commute, again, much more true than not for "them days"...

Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »

This is Leones most complete film, and in my opinion his greatest. Trying to change a mastepiece like this would be so futile that only a complete fool would try it. Or a complete madman Wink

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »

Maybe an explosion here or there  Grin

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM