Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 04:23:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mexican Stereotypes in Western Movies
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mexican Stereotypes in Western Movies  (Read 2752 times)
Yellowhead
« on: October 13, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »

Hello! I'm pretty new here and I hope the question's not too naive...but I was just curious about Mexican Stereotypes in famous Western movies. I want to hear you people's opinions  Cheesy
Do you find that there are any Mexican stereotypes to begin with at all?
If so, do you think the Mexican stereotypes are "overdone", or do they kind of conveniently fit into the atmosphere of the movies?
Personally, I find a lot of the Hispanic characters have a bit of a quirky or mischeivous appeal, but maybe that's just me.  Azn
What do you guys think?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:45:49 AM »

Hello! I'm pretty new here and I hope the question's not too naive...but I was just curious about Mexican Stereotypes in famous Western movies. I want to hear you people's opinions  Cheesy
Do you find that there are any Mexican stereotypes to begin with at all?
If so, do you think the Mexican stereotypes are "overdone", or do they kind of conveniently fit into the atmosphere of the movies?
Personally, I find a lot of the Hispanic characters have a bit of a quirky or mischievous appeal, but maybe that's just me.  Azn
What do you guys think?

For the most part Mexicans in most Westerns prior to the 60's (that I've seen) were portrayed as buffoonish "Si Senior" Sancho Panza stereotypes in minor roles or ubiquitous interchangeable bandits  but I can think of a few where a Mexican part had some meat, Beery in "Viva Villa!", Anthony Quinn "The Ox-Bow Incident" & with Brando in "Viva Zapata!", the Westerns that featured Mexican actor Luis Antonio Damaso de Alonso, later known as Gilbert Roland,  Pedro Armendáriz in "3 Godfathers", Henry Silva in "The Bravados" in the 60's that changed to showing Mexican's more fleshed out and in a more broader spectrum in movies like "Hombre", "The Appaloosa", "Guns for San Sebastian" "For a Few Dollars More" "GBU" "Duck You Sucker" and quite a few Spaghetti Westerns where the lead roles were Mexican

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM