Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 15, 2018, 11:42:07 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cry Danger (1951)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Cry Danger (1951)  ( 2113 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #15 : March 18, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »

Again your lack of English understanding is telling. Here "must" is not prescriptive, but shows probability.

Sorry my American friend, you're wrong here. You should have written, "You must HAVE WATCHED this ..." You were trying to say that you assumed that he watched it that way.

The way you wrote it, it sounds like you were telling him to do it that way.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #16 : March 18, 2017, 08:35:22 PM »

Sorry my American friend, you're wrong here. You should have written, "You must HAVE WATCHED this ..." You were trying to say that you assumed that he watched it that way.

What I was trying to elicit from Herr Professor himself. But, as usual, as he realized his glaring mistake, he changed his course. After all these years he still thinks I'm Japanese.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #17 : March 18, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »

And can't imagine the kind of PM he's going to send to his lawyer.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #18 : March 18, 2017, 10:00:48 PM »

What I was trying to elicit from Herr Professor himself. But, as usual, as he realized his glaring mistake, he changed his course. After all these years he still thinks I'm Japanese.

So Mussolini had a Jap cousin after all? :o

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #19 : March 18, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »

So Mussolini had a Jap cousin after all? :o

Ask Herr Professor.
(These are the times I miss the late Groggy. :-\)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20 : March 19, 2017, 09:12:15 AM »

Sorry, my journalist friend, but you are an idiot. I used simple present tense to indicate a habitual activity, because I know titoli has watched the movie more than once and will probably do so again. "You must watch it" means: "when you watch it, you probably watch it with the Italian dub or with bad subtitles . . ."

Do you really make your living writing in English?

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #21 : March 19, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »

As I indicated above, I made no mistake. There are 12 verb tenses in English and I am master of them all. Not so Mr. Dipshit and Destroy. At least you have the excuse of not being a native user of the language. Your bad English comes naturally.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #22 : March 19, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »

Sorry, my journalist friend, but you are an idiot. I used simple present tense to indicate a habitual activity, because I know titoli has watched the movie more than once and will probably do so again. "You must watch it" means: "when you watch it, you probably watch it with the Italian dub or with bad subtitles . . ."

Do you really make your living writing in English?

The way you wrote it would only make sense if he is constantly watching this movie, rather than referring to a specific time that he watched it. Who the hell watches CRY DANGER regularly besides you, captain of the one-man Richard Erdman Fan Club?

Let's leave it to titoli to answer: have you seen this movie more than once? If yes, you are an idiot along with my idiot friend who teaches Jap kids how to bungle the Engrish ranguage

« : March 19, 2017, 10:20:51 AM drinkanddestroy »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #23 : March 19, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »

Let's leave it to titoli to answer: have you seen this movie more than once? If yes, you are an idiot along with my idiot friend who teaches Jap kids how to bungle the Engrish ranguage

As I said, this is an occasion where I miss the twice-dead Groggy so much: he really knew how to take Herr Professor Un-rat master of 12 tenses for a ride leaving him no quarter (I have no heart for that. And no time). Anyway, you're taking me for a fool, watching again a movie I rated 6/10? To watch again a movie it must score from 8/10 up. If I find the time). And when I wrote here that I had seen it again? You believe in jinx bullshit? But here's the correct use of the verb I take from some site:

Expresses positive logical assumptions (Must + have + past participle)

That must have been my mother calling me last night, nobody else has my number.
    He must have won the lottery with the new house and car he has just bought.
    She must have been at home - her car was there.

Of course, if I quote from Webster (but I won't waste time this time like it happened a few years ago) he will say that the daily use of the language is different from the one found in grammars or dictionaries, so I will leave it at that.  Let him teach japs.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #24 : March 19, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »

As I said, this is an occasion where I miss the twice-dead Groggy so much: he really knew how to take Herr Professor Un-rat master of 12 tenses for a ride leaving him no quarter (I have no heart for that. And no time). Anyway, you're taking me for a fool, watching again a movie I rated 6/10? To watch again a movie it must score from 8/10 up. If I find the time). And when I wrote here that I had seen it again? You believe in jinx bullshit? But here's the correct use of the verb I take from some site:

Expresses positive logical assumptions (Must + have + past participle)

That must have been my mother calling me last night, nobody else has my number.
    He must have won the lottery with the new house and car he has just bought.
    She must have been at home - her car was there.

Of course, if I quote from Webster (but I won't waste time this time like it happened a few years ago) he will say that the daily use of the language is different from the one found in grammars or dictionaries, so I will leave it at that.  Let him teach japs.

exactly my point: nobody (other than dj and cj) would watch this movie more than once. Therefore the way Jenkins wrote is wrong.

Anyway, he is wrong for other reasons, which an English teacher should know: a speaker has to speak in a way that he will not be misunderstood. If he speaks in a way that can be easily misunderstood, he is wrong - listeners should not have to analyze and debate his words.

If I ever have a child with a Japanese girl, I will not send the kid to learn English by Jenks.

« : March 19, 2017, 04:47:23 PM drinkanddestroy »

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #25 : March 19, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »

Good noir, proving once again that (IMHO) Dick Powell was one of the best at delivering hard-boiled lines. It's an easy 8/10 for me.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #26 : March 19, 2017, 03:41:11 PM »

Not a noir.

The Sweet Smell of Success is a noir in my book

Spikeopath

« #27 : October 14, 2017, 12:03:57 AM »

Weeping Wit.

Cry Danger is directed by Robert Parish and written by William Bowers from a story by Jerome Cady. It stars Dick Powell, Rhonda Fleming, Richard Erdman, Regis Toomey and William Conrad. Music is by Paul Dunlap and Emil Newman and cinematography by Joseph F. Biroc.

It often makes for most interesting conversation in film fan circles, that of film noir, what constitutes it? what does each viewer demand? what is your favourite strand to this most desirable style of film making? Rarely does a group of noir heads agree wholesale, which of course only further strengthens the argument on why many love it so. I raise this as a point of opening reference because the first review of Cry Danger that I happened upon questioned its noir worth! Madness I tell you...

Plot is on the surface simplicity, Rocky Mulloy (Powell) is a man wrongly imprisoned for five years and now is out and now out to nail the real perpetrator of the crime. Cops are interested in his whereabouts, as they are the missing money from the crime he was locked up for. So far so standard crime revenger then? Not so for we are in noirville, in a less affluent part of Los Angeles, where the tale is spun out from the center point of a trailer park. Here we find Mulloy armed with calmness, toughness and always a dry quip on the lips. He's accompanied by Delong (Erdman), a crippled alcoholic army veteran, himself full of witticisms as he takes his alcoholism in a resigned stride. The cops are led by Detectice Lt. Gus Cobb (Toomey), a wise head, grizzled and not shy of razor sharp dialogue himself. And the babe of the piece, Nancy Morgan (Fleming), she's an ex of Mulloy, but husband of Mulloy's pal, a man who himself is rotting in prison for the crime at the core of this all. Add in creepy mustachioed villain Louie Castro (Conrad) and a weasel ukulele playing trailer park manager (Jay Adler), and you get a noir stew ripe for sampling.

As the dialogue pings about the story with waspish glee, the narrative holds tight via strong thematically noir traits such as greed and betrayal, with the added bonus of an ending worthy of the noir name. Production wise it's a job well done, the moderate budget not a worry, in fact it's only come the end of the show you realise you just had a pic running at 80 minutes that was without padding and pointless filler. All scenes are relevant here, and such is the sharpness of this character driven piece, you need to hang on every word and character interactions and reactions. In an ideal world there would be a ream of chiaroscuro to aid the mood, but Biroc and Parrish show skills to compliment a number of scenes via lighting and useful back and foreground locations. Cast are on top form, led by a superbly laconic Powell (sarcasm in a suit), to which this rounds out as one for noir lovers to put on their to see lists. 8/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #28 : May 06, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »

Eddie Muller's intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAeytSqzFpg

Eddie Muller's afterword https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rw1Co17bW4

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines