Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 05:01:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)  (Read 3432 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »

I watched it that morning before I went-the bridge with the wooden deck is still there too [img]http://i841.photobucket.com

is there really a pharmacy or coffee shop around the corner from the bank?

Also, is that bank building still a bank?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »

Are you thinking of knocking it over yourself, Drink? Now that you know what NOT to do . . . ? Evil

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »

did you have some resource instructing you as to the locations of specific shots in the movie, or is this all your own detective work?
on my own

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »

Nice work, CJ. I wouldn't mind visiting myself, but Google tells me Hudson is 2 hours away. I'd go if there were another compelling reason beside trainspoting some film locations. Like, ferinstance, if McSorley's was opening up a branch office or something . .  .
Its a neat town it has The Iron Horse Bar http://www.yelp.com/biz/iron-horse-bar-hudson Mexican Radio http://www.mexrad.com/ and Cafe Helsinki http://helsinkihudson.com/

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »

is there really a pharmacy or coffee shop around the corner from the bank?

Also, is that bank building still a bank?
yes bank is still a bank didn't look for the coffee shop or the pharmacy

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »

Drink FYI the corner where belafonte drives up in his sports car is 145th St & Westside Drive (from ImDb)

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »

So-so crime movie, which just doesn't make much sense. So you set up a heist and find nothing better than hire a racist and a black who is to boot a reluctant criminal. And the racist is really so? How comes he shows friendliness toward the black kid at the beginning? Belafonte is not an actor, Poitier would have been better (though they should have found another profession for a not singer). Still it is Cigar Joe who let me down this time: he didn't post the best shot of the movie: Roll Eyes

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 11:13:33 PM »

many heist movies have a reluctant group getting together, gathering the group, they are briefly reluctant, and then agree to do it (maybe cuz they REALLY need the money) and then we move on to the heist. But this movie is different in that the whole "gathering the group, which is reluctant but finally agrees cuz they REALLY need the money" takes half the movie. This movie focuses more on that getting-the-reluctant-group-together than the actual heist. So it is unique in that regard. Better or worse, that is a matter of opinion.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 11:25:13 PM »

So-so crime movie, which just doesn't make much sense. So you set up a heist and find nothing better than hire a racist and a black who is to boot a reluctant criminal. And the racist is really so? How comes he shows friendliness toward the black kid at the beginning? Belafonte is not an actor, Poitier would have been better (though they should have found another profession for a not singer). Still it is Cigar Joe who let me down this time: he didn't post the best shot of the movie: Roll Eyes

Afro

This gets me thinking ...  Azn
Off the top of my head, I can't think of a movie prior to Psycho (1960) that, above the waist, shows a woman wearing nothing but a bra. Even here, you can see Grahame's bra, but she is wearing an open shirt; maybe this 1959 movie is the earliest that showed that? But I can't think of any movie prior to Janet Leigh in Psycho in which the woman is wearing just a bra and not even an open shirt over it. (Of course, there are earlier films that showed women wearing bathing suits whose top was no bigger than a bra, but I am not talking about that).
There are plenty of earlier movies that show women in corsets, or maybe even older-style bras that covered much more than the modern bras, [Killer's Kiss (1955)?] but in Psycho, Janet Leigh is wearing a more-or-less modern bra; was there any movie prior to that that showed a woman wearing just a modern-style bra?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 03:29:38 AM »

There are plenty of earlier movies that show women in corsets, or maybe even older-style bras that covered much more than the modern bras, [Killer's Kiss (1955)?] but in Psycho, Janet Leigh is wearing a more-or-less modern bra; was there any movie prior to that that showed a woman wearing just a modern-style bra?

In European films there were already plenty of naked breasts to marvel at in the 50s, so I'm sure there were also lots of bra scenes.

In Hollywood there were surely also some more. Janet Leigh in Touch of Evil? Cat on a Hot Tin Roof maybe.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »

Yes, I should have explicitly said American movies

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »

Now, I was curious about how the racial theme was treated in the novel, so I've read it. The movie takes only half of the novel's plot. All the Belafonte's private life story was written for the movie, only his gambling debt is kept from the literary source, but he's no singer but a professional gambler. The Grahame character appears in the novel only to ask for babysitting. The Begley character in the novel is duplicated: the hold-up is worked up by four characters. So after the hold-up fails Ryan and Belafonte escape while one of the Begley's characters is killed (the other manages to escape but is later apprehended). The couple makes it to an isolated house tenanted by an old and sick man with a crazy wife and they hole up there. The novel then concentrates on the relationship between the two, under the racial tension created by the white's prejudice: and it is even goofier than in the movie. 5\10      

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:46:45 PM by titoli » Logged

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:33 PM »

Looks like the blu-ray is good. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_73/odds_against_tomorrow_blu-ray.htm

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM