Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 11:52:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Laura (1944)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laura (1944)  (Read 2552 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 06:13:43 AM »

Part of the reason I don't much esteem  Laura is because of the "lying" narration. Notice the filmmakers saw a problem too: halfway through the picture the narration disappears.

can't they have avoided the problem of the "lying" narration by just making it the thoughts of a man who is dying, rather than dead. so if, instead of Clifton Webb being killed instantly and lying on the ground dead, how about if he was shot and is slowly dying, and recounting the story as he lay there dying, and then he actually dies only once the story ends. Kind of like how it's done in Carlito's Way (I didn't much like that movie, and there are other problems with the narration there; but the point is that if you have it as someone's dying thoughts rather than his dead thoughts, you basically accomplish all that you set out to accomplish, but don't have the problem that the narration is a LIE

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:15:24 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 06:21:10 AM »

Lying narration or a narration by a dead guy, I like those ideas as long as not every film does it.

But having a narration only in one part of the film sounds pretty inconsequent. That's probably why I forgot that it was narrated by a dead.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 06:35:28 AM »

can't they have avoided the problem of the "lying" narration by just making it the thoughts of a man who is dying, rather than dead. so if, instead of Clifton Webb being killed instantly and lying on the ground dead, how about if he was shot and is slowly dying, and recounting the story as he lay there dying, and then he actually dies only once the story ends. Kind of like how it's done in Carlito's Way (I didn't much like that movie, and there are other problems with the narration there; but the point is that if you have it as someone's dying thoughts rather than his dead thoughts, you basically accomplish all that you set out to accomplish, but don't have the problem that the narration is a LIE
Isn't that done in Double indemnity ?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 06:43:18 AM »

Isn't that done in Double indemnity ?

well, he was shot and is trying to escape, he doesn't realize that he is dying

my problem with the narration in DI is a whole separate issue: it's that the narration gives away the entire movie, as its happening. There's no suspense at all. Basically, MacMurray says what's going to happen, then we see the scene where it happens. Then MacMurray says another bit of the story, and we see the scene where that bit is acted out, then it returns to MacMurray's teling another bit of the story, and we see the scene where that happens....... MacMuray's narration tells the whole story bit by bit, just before each scene. So when we actually see the scenes being acted out, there's very little suspense. It's absolutely ridiculous, the worst sort of narration ever. if they wanted to use narration, they could have used something like The Postman Always Rings Twice, in which the narration is a  Death Row confession, but gives away very little.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 06:44:36 AM »

Lying narration or a narration by a dead guy, I like those ideas as long as not every film does it.

I think that in this instance, what dj is referring to as "lying narration" is the fact that the narration is done by a dead guy. It's not two separate things: the narration is lying BECAUSE it is done by a  dead guy

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 07:26:19 AM »

Lying narration would be that the narrator tells lies. An example is the flashback lie in Stage Fright, which probably wasn't done before.

A dead narrator is no problem if one excepts that films are not the reality.

Oliver Stone's new film starts with the narrator's doubts that she will survive the story she tells:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC2zbOwbeEs

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »

can't they have avoided the problem of the "lying" narration by just making it the thoughts of a man who is dying, rather than dead. so if, instead of Clifton Webb being killed instantly and lying on the ground dead, how about if he was shot and is slowly dying, and recounting the story as he lay there dying, and then he actually dies only once the story ends.
They did that in the Ida Lupino film The Hard Way. The problem with that approach for Laura is that the narrator has, not to put too fine a point on it, a rather arch way of speaking. It's hard to imagine him maintaining that tone if he knew he was dying and/or he was in pain.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »

Beaver on the Blu: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews10/laura_.htm

Looks to me like I can be content with my DVD, but others might want to upgrade.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM