Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 06:39:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Wolfman (2010)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wolfman (2010)  (Read 10079 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 12:00:54 AM »

I wish I can read Groggy's article but it says "Internet cannot open this page" for some reason.

Here, bitch....

Rumors of reshoots have been dogging the Wolf Man movie for months. Now we know the truth: instead of paying homage to the original film, the film-makers have reshot key scenes to put Benicio Del Toro on all fours.

Turns out the the reshoots have wrapped at last, and the key man-into-wolf transformation scene will no longer have the Wolfman running around on two legs. Instead it sounds like he will bound around, similar to X-Men Origins: Wolverine's Sabebretooth (and we all remembered how great that worked out for everyone.) And then he faces of a much fiercer CG-ed up werewolf. Yes that's right the crew that made a movie based on the Wolf Man now think the Wolfman is lame and did bounding reshoots, so the Wolf Man could be scarier and face off with a werewolf.

The Daily Mail is reporting that the 6-weeks of reshoots were due to the ridiculous notion that the wolfman didn't look good as an actual wolf man. Instead, they just decided to lump him on the pile of been-there-done-that, has-been crap, and turned their backs on classic monster representations of yesteryear, which allowed them to have a film in the first place. An actor from the movie Baz Bamigboye gave quotes saying

The Wolf was on its heels and it looked daft.

So they brought in a new director and a whole crew of CG artists to make sure this film will in no way shape or form stand from the pack of werewolf films Hollywood is churning out. And pinned the now boundier Wolf Man against a werewolf, because remember, the Wolf Man is lame, and CG werewolves are cool.

What better way to pay homage to the classics like Lon Chaney Jr., than by completely pissing all over it like a fire hydrant? What did Chaney and Michael J. Fox both have in common, besides their legendary pop culture status? They both walked on their hind legs. God spare me from another CG beast that looks just like the rest of the pack.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:34 AM »

The only odd part of that article is the assertion that Hollywood is "churning out" werewolf films. I can't remember any theatrically-released ones since Cursed a few years ago.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 01:19:36 PM »

Yes that's right the crew that made a movie based on the Wolf Man now think the Wolfman is lame and did bounding reshoots, so the Wolf Man could be scarier and face off with a werewolf.
Typical of Hollywood these days. When the Hulk has to face off with a foe, it's another muscle-bound being of similar dimensions. Iron Man's final confrontation is with a guy in another metal suit. Let's not even mention Transformers. These like-on-like contests are boring. I seem to remember in the comics that the Hulk's nemesis was a little guy called The Leader, who was physically puny but had a gama-ray enhanced brain. The contest between brains and brawn was interesting, because of the *contrast* the contest provided.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 02:04:13 PM »

Typical of Hollywood these days. When the Hulk has to face off with a foe, it's another muscle-bound being of similar dimensions. Iron Man's final confrontation is with a guy in another metal suit. Let's not even mention Transformers. These like-on-like contests are boring. I seem to remember in the comics that the Hulk's nemesis was a little guy called The Leader, who was physically puny but had a gama-ray enhanced brain. The contest between brains and brawn was interesting, because of the *contrast* the contest provided.

Hollywood serves to the audience what they want, it's not like they're re-inventing the wheel or something, they don't even set trends, they merely exploit them. Nowadays the majority of the audience (especially in the US) consists of horny teenagers with their girlfriends, that are looking for a place to spend time together watching something that won't distract them too much. Hence, we get what we get. The big players just adopted what Corman was doing back in the middle of the century and took it to the next level. That's the whole story, there is no point discussing it because the only logic behind is the logic of profit.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 04:41:10 PM »

Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »

Yawn. Same old crap. Lots on night scenes with unmotivated light sources. It's the 21st Century, and we're still having to put up with lazy filmmaking.

Aw come on, you're just spoiled after watching the brilliant lighting in the Jesse James movie.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »

Extremely disappointed with this film.  The cinematography, set designs, Rick Baker's make-up and Hugo Weaving's Abberline were all great.

But the characters had no weight whatsoever. It made the story slow and the action scenes anti-climatic.

Plus there was no real direction to where the story wanted to go. Was it about the father/son relationship? What was the Lawrence/Gwen dynamics? Is Lawrence tortured by the realization he's killing these innocent people. None of these and other points were given the proper treatment to care about.

A missed opportunity to what could have been an excellent horror movie.

Also, why hire Rick Baker if you're going to rely on CGI?

5/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »

That about squares with what I've been hearing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »

Also, why hire Rick Baker if you're going to rely on CGI?
To give it that early 80s feel?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »

That about squares with what I've been hearing.

What worries me is if Universal is that careless with its legacy then imagine how the Creature From The Black Lagoon remake is going to turn out. Sad

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 10:20:58 PM »

To give it that early 80s feel?

No, just why waste the money?

The name?

I doubt it.

Only a small percent of horror nerds would care if Baker was attached to a project.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 07:47:37 AM »

I sorta enjoyed it, I must say. Yes, all the flaws mentioned already are basically there. The drifting story for instance, but it didn't bother me at all. The acting is nothing special, but overall okay. The locations make it worth more than anything, I think.

6/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »

Now THERE'S something original for a change! There aren't many of those around, are there? Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:07:10 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 07:51:05 AM »

Though, to be honest, some of the fighting scenes are ridiculous.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM