Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 03:55:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  He Walked by Night (1948)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: He Walked by Night (1948)  (Read 183 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040427/

He Walked by Night (1948)

A police procedural noir, based on a true story, about a dangerous "lone wolf" criminal (Richard Basehart) being hunted by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Also featuring:

Scott Brady as Sgt. Marty Brennan
    Roy Roberts as Captain Breen
    Whit Bissell as Paul Reeves
    James Cardwell as Sgt. Chuck Jones
    Jack Webb as Lee

I give this an 8/10, which I believe is the highest rating I've ever given a police procedural (unless you consider The Naked City a police procedural). The police procedural stuff is annoying, and Scott Brady is atrocious as the supposed co-star; (although, thankfully, his captain, Roy Roberts, probably does more of the poice work and is onscreen for as much time as Brady is). Basehart is a very memorable noir villain – this is not a typical, conflicted "in over his head" noir character; this is a crook, plain and simple.

How does Basehart's character hide and elude the police? By diving into LA's underground storm drains – in a movie released a year before Orson Welle's character used a similar tactic in The Third Man.

There's also an extended scene of Basehart in the bathroom doing surgery on himself to remove a bullet; perhaps this was an inspiration for Javier Bardem's character in No Country for Old Men.

This movie is available in a nice-looking MGM DVD, though there are no bonus features. There's also an atrocious disc from Alpha Video; forget about that. There's also a Region 2 DVD from the German company Koch Media. Beaver's page here http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/hewalkedbynight.htm

The MDM DVD s out of print, and the rare copies available are listed online for very high prices. I finally found someone selling it on amazon.co.uk for pretty cheap (under $20 including shipping to USA) so I bought it ... and just a few days later, I find out (thanks to a post by Novocento) that a BRD will be released in the fall.

The MGM BRD looks very nice, but I don't think there are any bonus features. I'll wait to see the reports on the BRD before deciding whether to double-dip.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/He-Walked-by-Night-Blu-ray/178067/

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22010

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=289003

The

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »

ClassicFlix will also release T-Men (1947) and Raw Deal (1948)... T-Men will have an audio commentary and some other bonus features... Fingers crossed the same goes for Raw Deal and He Walked By Night... Good times!

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »

Xh, do you have any idea if Raw Deal will be remastered? It's one of my favorites, I have a mediocre copy and I don't think there are any restored versions out there. That would be so exciting.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »

Xh, do you have any idea if Raw Deal will be remastered? It's one of my favorites, I have a mediocre copy and I don't think there are any restored versions out there. That would be so exciting.

Time to get excited, JR... Did some digging just now, and via: https://www.classicflix.com/blog/2017/02/20/more-classicflix-raw-deal-t-men-you-only-live-once-and-more
Film Noir fans should note that with Raw Deal and T-Men part of this deal, combined with another Anthony Mann/John Alton collaboration we’ve licensed (and will announce shortly [He Walked By Night]), a Mann/Alton set is likely to come to fruition.

We’ve accessed BFI prints for both Raw Deal and T-Men and will have more information regarding the potential set in the near future.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 02:13:10 PM »

Thanks! Can't wait.

Jessica Rabbit
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »

...a Mann/Alton set is likely to come to fruition.

We’ve accessed BFI prints for both Raw Deal and T-Men and will have more information regarding the potential set in the near future.

I wonder if we'll get all of the below:

1947: T-Men
1948: Raw Deal
1948: He Waked by Night
1949: Border Incident
1949: Reign of Terror
1950: Devil's Doorway

That would be so great.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »

Border Incident is part of Warner's Film Noir Classic Collection, Vol. 3. It's a good print.

Jessica Rabbit
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »

Already have:

1947: T-Men
1948: Raw Deal
1948: He Waked by Night
1949: Border Incident

All are pretty good prints.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM