Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 08:02:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hurricane Sandy 2012
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 8267 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2012, 03:39:30 AM »

Good luck to us all on the East Coast  Afro Afro Afro hopefully we'll stay connected  Undecided

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:29:12 AM »

Thanks CJ. Afro We're likely to get a lot of snow so who knows what could happen? Everyone on the Coast be safe.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:42:22 AM »

Who's directing it?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:45:48 AM »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpfcfdndMwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sjxx0Np77U

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:50:16 PM »

One high-profile casualty:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/29/14775512-14-rescued-1-unresponsive-and-1-missing-after-hms-bounty-sinks-off-nc-coast?lite

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:33:47 PM »

The highway shown in the first 10 seconds of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq-bJff7h30 (the Belt Parkway) now looks like a river. I visited it at 8:30 PM on Monday night,  a few minutes after high tide. I was standing behind a fence that is just behind the the trees shown on the right side of the first 8 seconds of this video; and the water was rushing across the highway and up to the trees (maybe 15 feet from the fence). Was quite a sight.

I hear Lower Manhattan is flooded, and much of it is blacked out.

I hope everyone is keeping safe and dry.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »

There are certain advantages to living on a hill.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »

We lucked out so far. Our area got lots of rain yesterday and about three inches of snow last night but it seems to have tapered off. Unfortunately, I have many friends and relatives in New Jersey and eastern PA who may not be so well-off.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »

Yeah, where I am in Brooklyn we've been relatively unscathed. Just a lot of rain and wind yesterday, some streets were blocked by downed trees, but that's basically all. (A few times, the electricity flickered for just a second, but that's all). No flooding, no power outtages. I know that many people, especially in the low-lying coastal areas, have not been so lucky. Restoration of power in New York City may take anywhere from 4 days in Manhattan to a week in the other boroughs.

Public transportation in New York is shot. They hope to restore some limited bus service at 5 PM today, but who knows how long it will take for the trains to get back; many stations were swamped.

The worst of the storm is over. Today was pretty calm. We expect a few more showers, and there may be more flooding tonight at high tide (about 8:15 PM), but the storm is pretty much gone.

But the recovery will still take a while for those who are flooded and/or without power. I hope everyone is okay, and the recovery is quick and smooth  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:47:03 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »

back on the grid - about 24 hrs without power - mostly wind  damage up here  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »

Just a lot of rain and wind yesterday, some streets were blocked by downed trees, but that's basically all. (A few times, the electricity flickered for just a second, but that's all).
That's the story here, too, although some of my colleagues' houses are without power.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »

That's the story here, too, although some of my colleagues' houses are without power.

my sis lives in Central Jersey (about an hour from Atlantic City, where the hurricane made landfall last night). She is without power, as is 80% of her town.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »

D&D image someplace Brooklyn

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »

Thanks for posting, cj  Afro

I emailed cj that pic to post, since I don't know how to post pics here

I took that photo on Sunday night at about 7 PM, before the storm really hit. At that point, there was no rain, just some wind. Went to the promenade at Gravesend Bay, where some waves were already crashing over the gate.

---------

I went back near the bay again last night, but by this time, the water was waaaay over the fence. The promenade was completely flooded, as was the grassy area next to it, the 6-lane Belt Parkway, and much of the grass on the side of that as well. Here is a satellitle image of the area  https://maps.google.com/maps?q=gravesend+bay&hl=en&ll=40.601584,-74.010896&spn=0.001963,0.003707&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Gravesend+Bay&t=h&z=18

You'll see all those trees next to the highway. Well I stood behind a fence that was right behind those trees;  the waves were rolling up to the trees, only about 15 feet away from us

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:37:32 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM