Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:25:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hurricane Sandy 2012
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 7798 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 07:32:42 PM »

D&D image someplace Brooklyn

Shocked

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »

Shocked

That's what you see in the videos I took as well (I posted 'em previously, here is one where you see waves like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sjxx0Np77U )
The vid is from Sunday night, before the storm really hit. By the time I came to the same area 24 hours later,  you couldn't even see the gate anymore, nor could I stand within 500 feet of this area, because the whole promenade in front of the bay (and far beyond) had simply become part of the bay.

So by Tuesday afternoon we're  thinking the worst of the storm is gone, when suddenly my uncle calls at about 9:00 PM -- he lives only 2 miles away from us in Brooklyn -- to tell us that the power had just gone out in his neighborhood, for the first time! So we're wondering if that may hit us too, but luckily we haven't had any problems. (And my uncle's power has since been restored  Smiley)

Groggy, they say on the news that the storm was passing Western, PA Tuesday. Did it hit anywhere near you? You guys alright?

-------

You have to watch this INSANE video  http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19959065/fox-5-crew-reports-from-flooded-queens-motel
made by a local Fox 5 New York reporter who was stuck in the second floor of a motel in Howard Beach, Queens on Monday night, as the surging waters rose dangerously close.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:00:28 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 01:06:42 AM »

Just read that Hurricane Sandy has killed 126 people worldwide, including 48 in USA and 18 in New York City  Cry  Cry  Cry

---

And there are so many people that have lost their homes, or whose homes have been severely damaged, or who are living without power.

Our thoughts and prayers are with them all

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 04:32:44 AM »

Really great footage Drink, though I have to wonder whether you have a death wish! Cheesy Glad you guys got off fairly lightly.

We received a decent amount of snow last night but nothing too bad. Eastern/Central PA got it much worse than us.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 05:21:24 AM »

Really great footage Drink, though I have to wonder whether you have a death wish! Cheesy Glad you guys got off fairly lightly.

I absolutely do.

going out in middle of hurricane winds, amid streets that were littered with toppled trees, was just like taking a stroll through a firing range. At any moment, beyond your control,  you may or may not die.

It was fun. I wish I'd been able to capture the Monday evening trip on camera (it was way too dark for a simple camera to capture; I'd have needed one of those thousand-dollar professional cameras for that). But it's not to hard to imagine what it looked like: just close your eyes and imagine an ocean with waves: that's exactly what the (area that used to be) the highway looked like.

My friend passed by the next morning and said all the water was gone from that highway, there was just a bunch of debris strewn about. Once the wind stops or the tide goes down or whatever, the water can recede as fast it arrived (as the reporter says in that Fox 5 News video I linked to previously, which I hope y'all watched).

Most of my sister's town in Central Jersey is still without power

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:30:46 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »

here is a 3-minute time lapse video showing Hurricane Sandy in New York City from 1:00 PM Sunday - 2:30 PM Tuesday  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUz-5Z9oroc

The video was taken in Brooklyn. You can see the Williamsburg Bridge, spanning the East River between Brooklyn and Manhattan; the landmass on the right of the video is Lower Manhattan, which, as you see, completely lost power on Monday night

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 12:08:01 AM »

Though Hurricane Sandy has gone, its effects will be felt for a very long time.

Most sadly, many people around the world lost their lives. (As of now, I've seen the numbers say something like 144 deaths around the world).  Some of the stories are too heartbreaking to even repeat.

Untold numbers of families are without homes; or homes that are flooded, homes that have incurred untold amounts of damage. Many people are still living without power.

Let those of us who were fortunate enough to make it through easily, help our brothers and sisters who were less fortunate. So much help is needed! Let us each do as much as we possibly can. From volunteering and physically assisting those in need, to providing funds for those who are doing so.

Here is a link where you can donate to the American Red Cross's disaster relief efforts https://www.redcross.org/donate/index.jsp?donateStep=2&itemId=prod10002 Of course, the Red Cross is merely the most famous of the many organizations that are aiding the victims; you can donate wherever you prefer.

WHATEVER YOU DO, PLEASE DO IT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AND AS BEST AS YOU CAN!

Here's praying we recover quickly, and never have to experience such horrors again.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:11:56 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »

I'm glad our east coast Leonistas made it through okay. All my family and friends near the storm appear safe if somewhat discombobulated. Thanks for the Red Cross link, drink. Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 04:16:56 AM »

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 09:30:59 AM »

I just hope that no East Coast SL board member got hurt or lost the home or anything.
In any case, hang in there: on behalf of all italian board members I wish all people affected by Sandy the best of luck! We've all been thinking about you guys!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Sounds like most of us escaped unscathed.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »

on behalf of all italian board members

meaning me and you?

We've all been thinking about you guys!

Except some. Angry

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »

I have a wedding to go to beyond Riverhead today should be an interesting trip

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 06:48:24 AM »

Let us know what you have seen on the way and don't forget to have a drink (or two or three...) on your italian friends (apparently meaning  just titoli and yours truly...)  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:50:10 AM by Leonardo » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 07:36:40 AM »

Afro

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM