Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 03:59:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hurricane Sandy 2012
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 7757 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »

Man, are you gonna have enough gas for the return trip? You might have a hard time finding fuel on the way back.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 04:26:58 AM »

How's your hangover CJ??? Grin

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 09:58:06 AM »

There are insane gas shortages; whenever a station gets a shipment, there are HUGE lines of people waiting to fill up.

I'd really wanted to volunteer to go to heavily-stricken areas to help  individuals recover; or to help organizations dedicated to relief. Unfortunately, several factors have not allowed me to do so yet, though I may try to do so later. But in the meantime, I did what I think may be the next best thing: I took care of the traffic lines at the gas station near my house  Smiley during the two times since the storm that they received shipments of gas late at night (sold out each time in 6 1/2 hours).

The police dep't is stretched too thin now to have any cops maintaining traffic control on the line. So I just borrowed a reflective vest from a friend of mine who is an EMT, and I went out into the street to maintain order on the line Wink

I have to say, it was fun. Helping people can often be fun.

Talking to people on the line, many were crying to me about their situations; it was heartbreaking listening to some of the people's stories. of people who had lost everything, homes destroyed, severely damaged, etc. It was all I could do to keep from crying along with them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I often think about the question, are most people good or evil? I don't know the answer.
It's times like these that show you what a person is made of. 95% of the people were great, kept order, and just wonderful. There were only  few jerks who were selfish, tried cutting in line, etc. (Needless to say, NOBODY succeeded  Wink) But most people were great.
One car was full, with (3 hot chicks  Wink and) a bunch of clothing they were donating to a church that was collecting them for hurricane victims.
Many people are without electricity, have flooded homes, or destroyed homes. So one website asked people to sign up if they can host a family until they can return to their homes. They soon announced that more people signed up to host families than there were families that needed hosting.
 Deep in their hearts, when nobody else is watching;  when nobody is going to give them credit or blame. When it's just the person and his/her conscience: are most people genuinely good or evil?
I still don't know the answer. But in times like these, when I see how people care for each other, are kind and decent even under great stress, it gives me great hope that humanity is good and decent.
And if so, we can survive any disaster thrown our way.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I am sharing this story because I just want to encourage anyone who can to do whatever they are able to to help. If you are able to donate money, please do so (I provided the Red Cross link in a previous post). If you live near the area and can help anyone in any way, or any organization, please do so. So many people need help, literally putting the pieces of their lives back together. Let's be thankful for our good fortune, and help those less fortunate.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:13:19 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »

The police dep't is stretched too thin now to have any cops maintaining traffic control on the line. So I just borrowed a reflective vest from a friend of mine who is an EMT, and I went out into the street to maintain order on the line Wink
Good on ya!  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »

Nice one DD!  Afro Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

Was that you on the news the other day? Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »

Was that you on the news the other day? Afro

in handcuffs?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »

Ok - back home again - no gas = no traffic we took an extra 5 gallons but got to our destination with a bit over a half tank left  so we had enough to get all the way back the worst area affected was Nassau County no power and no gas - Suffolk County (Eastern tip of Long Island) was much better off lines for gas but they had gas same with Queens - The storm surge on Eastern tip of Long Island was only 7 feet compared to the 14 feet that hit the West end of Long Island Sound - took a different route through jersey on way back jersey also had gas  lines 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 03:42:07 AM »

I am hoping to go volunteer today in the recovery effort in one of the hard-hit coastal areas.

People's basements still need to be pumped from water -- the basements must be torn out and completely re-done, at a minimum. Many houses will have to be torn down completely, as hey are unsalvageable and have been condemned. The people are living no with no electricity. There is a private safety patrol group that is organizing a massive recovery effort; they set up a command center, with generators so people can plug in their electronic devices -- that's the only place to plug anything into the entire area.

There are people living without heat, it has been incredibly cold during the past few nights

It looks like a war zone.

Based on the pics/vids I have seen, it doesn't look like it'll be pretty.. It's terribly sad. I'm going to see what i can do

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:35:12 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 03:47:42 AM »

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 02:39:40 AM »

spent a few hours volunteering in one of hard hit coastal areas today... it's unfrigginbelievable what's going on there.

Everyone's basement was flooded; you can see how high the water went cuz there's a black line on the wall; at a minimum, everyone had 4-5 feet of water; in at least a couple of instances, I saw lines that went well above 6-7 feet. The entire basements are destroyed. And it ain't just plain water, the sewer lines all bursts, it's awful. Everything in everyone's basement has to be thrown out. In front of every house is an enormous pile of what is now trash -- what used to be the family's belongings. Sanitation trucks are making rounds constantly to pick this stuff up. I was insanely busy all day; I didn't have time to take many pictures, I really wasn't there for a photo op.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:03:34 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »

these are some of the pics I took from my volunteering in Sea Gate; thanks to cj for posting them (I sent them to him to post since I have no clue how to post stuff here).

The top photo is of what used to be the Sea gate Beach Club; it is now GONE.

the bottom photo is of people from that town (as well as surrounding towns like Coney Island and Brighton Beach) lining up at a distribution center to get clothing, food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, and other essential items that were donated and brought here by people, organizations, and companies from across the country.

eg. one truck laden with supplies came from some town in Pennsylvania; a busful of older women came from Florida to help the Red Cross distribute stuff. Duracell and Energizer each sent a truck with lots of batteries (as there is no electricity there, batteries and flashlights are at a premium). Some boxes with blankets showed up with messages like "With Love from the Midwest," and "Chicago is Thinking of You." Local individuals have been streaming in from neighboring communities with supplies. And the list goes on.

There is a very long way to go, but it's great to know that there are so many caring people around, who are sharing in the burden of others. It will be a long time before we are even remotely close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but seeing how many people are so dedicated to helping others, I know that God-willing, that light will come

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »

Your efforts are quite commendable drink. Afro I've done a small part by donating some food and supplies but I'm impressed seeing someone doing some real work on the ground. Hope the snowstorms aren't impacting your work too much.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »

Your efforts are quite commendable drink. Afro I've done a small part by donating some food and supplies but I'm impressed seeing someone doing some real work on the ground. Hope the snowstorms aren't impacting your work too much.

Thanks for the kind words  Smiley

We aren't getting any snow around here.

One day -- I believe it was Wednesday, November 7 -- there were some flurries, but otherwise we haven't had any snow yet.

I was actually thinking of you when those people from some Pennsylvania town showed up with a  truckful of supplies  Wink I forgot the name of the town, but i believe they said it was near Philadelphia; that's not near you, right?

---

p.s. I have lots more pictures, but I really don't know how to post them here, I'm not very technologically knowledgeable. cj has posted some but he couldn't post all cuz the files are large. If anyone here wants to take the time to post some, you can PM me your email address and I will send them to you to post. Thanks

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:04:09 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM