Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 05:49:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Greatest Biopics
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest Biopics  (Read 754 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2012, 04:36:39 AM »

Inasmuch as nothing agitates people more than a good old-fashioned.... LIST, here is Entertainment Weekly's list of the 50 Greatest Biopics of all-time http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20649427,00.html#20503694

For my money, any list in which The Pride of the Yankees (about Lou Gehrig) does not appear is completely worthless.

Since I love all my Leone friends so much, I'll click on each page one at a time (yes, 50 clicks are required to get through this list) and copy 'em here so you don't have to. Consider that my holiday gift to you.

Now, enjoy the agitation! (Groggy, you can skip to #3  Wink)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50. STAND AND DELIVER (1988)
SUBJECT: Jaime Escalante

49. THE NOTORIOUS BETTIE PAGE (2005)
SUBJECT: Bettie Page

48. PRIVATE PARTS (1997)
SUBJECT: Howard Stern

47. WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT (1993)
SUBJECT: Tina Turner

46. BEFORE NIGHT FALLS (2000)
SUBJECT: Reinaldo Arenas

45. LA BAMBA (1987)
SUBJECT: Ritchie Valens

44. GORILLAS IN THE MIST: THE STORY OF DIAN FOSSEY (1988)
SUBJECT: Dian Fossey

43. GANDHI (1982)
SUBJECT: Mohandas Gandhi

42. GIRL, INTERRUPTED (2000)
SUBJECT: Susanna Kaysen

41. NORMA RAE (1979)
SUBJECT: Crystal Lee Jordan

40. NIXON (1995)
SUBJECT: Richard Milhous Nixon

39. PATTON (1970)
SUBJECT: Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

38. DEAD MAN WALKING (1995)
SUBJECT: Sister Helen Prejean

37. BRAVEHEART (1995)
SUBJECT: William Wallace

36. ALI (2001)
SUBJECT: Muhammad Ali

35. THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (2006)
SUBJECT: Idi Amin

34. A BEAUTIFUL MIND (2001)
SUBJECT: John Forbes Nash

33. CHAPLIN (1992)
SUBJECT: Charlie Chaplin

32. BASQUIAT (1996)
SUBJECT: Jean-Michel Basquiat

31. THE AVIATOR (2004)
SUBJECT: Howard Hughes

30. A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (1966)
SUBJECT: Sir Thomas More

29. DOWNFALL (2004)
SUBJECT: Adolf Hitler

28. THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY (2007)
SUBJECT: Jean-Dominique Bauby

27. SERPICO (1973)
SUBJECT: Frank Serpico

26. SHATTERED GLASS (2003)
SUBJECT: Stephen Glass

25. WALK THE LINE (2005)
SUBJECT: Johnny Cash

24. YOUNG MR. LINCOLN (1939)
SUBJECT: Abraham Lincoln

23. ERIN BROCKOVICH (2000)
SUBJECT: Erin Brockovich

22. RAY (2004)
SUBJECT: Ray Charles

21. COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER (1980)
SUBJECT: Loretta Lynn

20. THE LAST EMPEROR (1987)
SUBJECT: Pu Yi

19. REDS (1980)
SUBJECT: John Reed

18. HOTEL RWANDA (2004)
SUBJECT: Paul Rusesabagina

17. SILKWOOD (1983)
SUBJECT: Karen Silkwood

16. LA VIE EN ROSE (2007)
SUBJECT: Edith Piaf

15. ED WOOD (1994)
SUBJECT: Ed Wood

14. PERSEPOLIS (2007)
SUBJECT: Marjane Satrapi

13. MILK (2008)
SUBJECT: Harvey Milk

12. MONSTER (2003)
SUBJECT: Aileen Wuornos

11. THE ELEPHANT MAN (1980)
SUBJECT: Joseph Merrick

10. AMERICAN SPLENDOR (2003)
SUBJECT: Harvey Pekar

9. MALCOLM X (1992)
SUBJECT: Malcolm X

8. CAPOTE (2005)
SUBJECT: Truman Capote

7. MY LEFT FOOT: THE STORY OF CHRISTY BROWN (1989)
SUBJECT: Christy Brown

6. ELIZABETH (1998)
SUBJECT: Queen Elizabeth I

5. SCHINDLER'S LIST (1993)
SUBJECT: Oskar Schindler

4. GOODFELLAS (1990)
SUBJECT: Henry Hill

3. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962)
SUBJECT: T.E. Lawrence

2. AMADEUS (1984)
SUBJECT: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

1. RAGING BULL (1980)
SUBJECT: Jake La Motta

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:57:20 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:21:48 AM »

Looking through the list again, I now see that there are only 3 movies that were released prior to the 1970's: A Man for All Seasons (1966) Lawrence of Arabia (1962), and Young Mr. Lincoln. So, just one from the 30's, none from the 40's and 50's, 2 from the 60's, (and actually very few from the 70's as well -- the vast, vast, vast majority are from the 80's onward) this basically shows me right off the bat that the list is bullshit: it's not really a list of all-time movies, it's basically a list compiled from the movies that a few voters remember during their lifetimes, with a couple of all-time classics thrown in there as well. The only way this list is even remotely legitimate is if the voters have at least seen every important biopic that's been released. But after seeing how their list is almost entirely comprised of recent movies, I can't even be certain if they've ever even bothered to watch the earlier ones. The least these illegitimate skunks (yes, calling them illegitimate humans or legitimate skunks would be  granting them too much respect) could have done is to at least just call the list e.g. "Greatest Biopics in the past 40 years," rather than try to pretend that they actually know about early cinema.

(Kind of reminds me of when ESPN makes a highlight reel of eg. "10 Greatest Basketball Dunks," or "10 Greatest Baseball catches," etc., the "list" will invariably include 8 entries from the past 20 years, plus 2 very famous ones from earlier years to make the list seem legitimate and fair. I hope nobody takes this shit any more seriously than they take those  ESPN highlight lists Wink)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:58:51 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »

Looking through the list again, I now see that there are only 3 movies that were released prior to the 1970's: A Man for All Seasons (1966) Lawrence of Arabia (1962), and Young Mr. Lincoln. So, just one from the 30's, none from the 40's and 50's, 2 from the 60's, (and actually very few from the 70's as well -- the vast, vast, vast majority are from the 80's onward) this basically shows me right off the bat that the list is bullshit: it's not really a list of all-time movies, it's basically a list compiled from the movies that a few voters remember during their lifetimes (with perhaps one or two famous classics thrown in there as well. The only way this list is even remotely legitimate if if the voters have at least seen every important biopic that's been released. But after seeing how their list is almost entirely comprised of recent movies, I can't even be certain if they've ever even bothered to watch the earlier ones. The least these illegitimate skunks (Yes, calling them illegitimate humans or legitimate skunks would be  granting them too much respect) could have done is to at least just call the list e.g. "Greatest Biopics in the past 40 years," rather than try to pretend that they actually know about early cinema.

(Kind of reminds me of when ESPN makes a highlight reel of eg. "10 Greatest Basketball Dunks," or "10 Greatest Baseball catches," etc., the "list" will invariably include 8 entries from the past 20 years, plus 2 very famous ones from earlier years to make the list seem legitimate and fair. I hope nobody takes this shit any more seriously than they take those  ESPN highlight lists Wink)

agreed no Muni (Juarez-The Life of Emile Zola- The Story of Louis Pasteur) or Robinson (Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet) or Tracey (Young Tom Edison - Edison, the Man) biopics

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:11:18 AM »

Is every listed film a biopic?
I had the feeling Elephant Man, for instance, was more "inspired by a true story" than a biopic. Ed Wood is also a disputable choice.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:09:14 AM »

Good point Noodles. I'd be hard-pressed to consider A Man for All Seasons, Amadeus (which, of course, focuses more on Salieri than Mozart), Braveheart, Reds, Serpico or Persepolis biopics either. The primary concern of none of those films is how the person lived his/her life but specific events therein. I guess it's a gray area.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM