Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 12:55:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zero Dark Thirty (2012)  (Read 2494 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 07:50:53 AM »

Let's spell this out slowly:

1. The movies do not offer an explicit message re: American foreign policy.
2. The events depicted certainly do (or can) reflect badly on American foreign policy.
3. A distinction can be drawn between a movie's "message" and the implications of the events it depicts.
4. Savant hopes moviegoers will see the movie, think about the events depicted and draw their own inferences about foreign policy.

A forlorn, naive hope? Perhaps. But it's certainly not illogical or a misreading of the films. Savant is taking a broader view than textual analysis.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »

Let's spell this out slowly:

1. The movies do not offer an explicit message re: American foreign policy.
2. The events depicted certainly do (or can) reflect badly on American foreign policy.
3. A distinction can be drawn between a movie's "message" and the implications of the events it depicts.
4. Savant hopes moviegoers will see the movie, think about the events depicted and draw their own inferences about foreign policy.

A forlorn, naive hope? Perhaps. But it's certainly not illogical or a misreading of the films. Savant is taking a broader view than textual analysis.

I understood that possibility. But when he talks about those prior events and then talks about "the message" getting through, I took that to mean he believed that was the message of the movie (however implied).

If he meant that although the movie neither states nor implies this idea, he hopes people will still form this opinion from watching the movies, then he shouldn't have used the phrase "the message." Anyway, considering that this particular "message" is at least several steps away from the movie's story, I think the only people who will be getting this "message" will be people who already believed in this message before they ever watched Argo or ZD30.

In other words, I don't think either or those movies will sway anybody either way on the question of American interventionism in the Middle East.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »

In other words, I don't think either or those movies will sway anybody either way on the question of American interventionism in the Middle East.

I think we can agree on that. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 09:00:02 AM »

Film was "OK".  Chastain was "OK".  Thought film and Chastain were way over-rated.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 12:20:37 AM »

Two days ago - May 2, 2017 - was the sixth anniversaryf the raid in which bin Laden was killed.

Robert O'Neill, the SEAL Team 6 member who claims to have been the one who shot and killed bin Laden has written a book describing his SEAL career and that raid. (Not every SEAL agrees with O'Neill's version.) Yes, Robert O'Neill is his real name; he has been on TV.

Here is an article about it, published last month in the New York Daily News https://goo.gl/VP4acv

There was lots of talk after the raid  about why the governemnt never realeased the pictures of the dead bin Laden. According to the article's excerpts from the book, it's because, after bin Laden was shot dead by the author, the other team members pumped bullet after bullet, hundreds of them, into bin Laden's face.
---
I've previously read a book by a member of that team, called "No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Raid That Killed Osama bin Laden," by Mark Owen. The author says name "Mark Owen" and all other names in that book are pseudonyms.The author had problems withe the government over that book, because the gov't said he revealed secrets. The author subsequently went public, on TV. His real name is Matt Bissonnette.
He ended up having to pay millions of dollars to the government, in addition to penalties to settle a claim that he had done consulting work for military contractors while a SEAL, violating conflict-of-interest laws.

He later wrote another book (also under the name Mark Owen) called "No Hero: The Evolution of a Navy SEAL."

Here is an article on it from The NY Times https://goo.gl/A59Hyb

You can read more about him here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Easy_Day

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:56:59 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM