Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 03:04:25 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Yojimbo
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4
: Yojimbo  ( 20097 )
Kurugen

« #15 : October 14, 2006, 06:29:33 PM »

Umm . . . no they didn't.

was the era pre civil war or after?

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #16 : October 14, 2006, 06:32:57 PM »

If you are talking about American Civil War, the time in "Yojimbo" is roughly 200 years prior to that.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Kurugen

« #17 : October 14, 2006, 07:17:49 PM »

i see.Anywase im still dissapointed.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #18 : October 14, 2006, 08:41:39 PM »

If you are talking about American Civil War, the time in "Yojimbo" is roughly 200 years prior to that.

I thought Yojimbo took place in the 1800s, man I'm lost. How could that guy have a revolver if it took place in the 1600s?

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #19 : October 14, 2006, 10:16:04 PM »

I thought Yojimbo took place in the 1800s, man I'm lost. How could that guy have a revolver if it took place in the 1600s?

Most of time (but not always) samurai movies are set in the period of Tokugawa shogunate that is from 1603 through 1867. Unless noted, times of samurai movies are set in sometime in 17th century or 18th century.

In case of "Yojimbo", the time is not really specified in the Japanese print although I'm aware that the time is more specific in the opening subtitle explanation in foreign prints. So, I made a rough guess without paying attention to that subtitle.

But I guess you are right. I just checked the official novelization of "Yojimbo". Although the original screenplay does not specify the time, the novelization says it's toward the end of Tokugawa shogunate. Around this time, there were many foreigners in Japan. It's quite possible that Unosuke got his scalf and gun from foreigners while he was out of town.

But semiautomatics? No. That's way too off. 

« : October 14, 2006, 10:44:02 PM Sanjuro »

Kurugen

« #20 : October 14, 2006, 10:46:04 PM »

Most of time (but not always) samurai movies are set in the period of Tokugawa shogunate that is from 1603 through 1867. Unless noted, times of samurai movies are set in sometime in 17th century or 18th century.

In case of "Yojimbo", the time is not really specified in the Japanese print although I'm aware that the time is more specific in the opening subtitle explanation in foreign prints. So, I made a rough guess without paying attention to that subtitle.

But I guess you are right. I just checked the official novelization of "Yojimbo". Although the original screenplay does not specify the time, the novelization says it's toward the end of Tokugawa shogunate. Around this time, there were many foreigners in Japan. It's quite possible that Unosuke got his scalf and gun from foreigners while he was out of town.

But semiautomatics? No. That's way too off. 

Anywase the ending still is dissapointing

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #21 : October 14, 2006, 11:25:15 PM »

Anywase the ending still is dissapointing

That's a shame.

Kurugen

« #22 : October 14, 2006, 11:35:55 PM »

That's a shame.

well thats what i felt like.It was all leading up to it and then i get nothing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #23 : October 19, 2006, 09:29:54 AM »

The Criterion remasters of Yojimbo and Sanjuro are scheduled for January release:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/coming_soon.asp

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #24 : October 19, 2006, 10:16:34 AM »

The Criterion remasters of Yojimbo and Sanjuro are scheduled for January release:

remasters of "Sanjuro"? I just bought that! (Groan).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #25 : October 19, 2006, 12:51:13 PM »

You bought "Sanjuro"? Good boy!! (If you want the remastered version, you can sell the old one on ebay anytime.)

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #26 : October 19, 2006, 12:54:01 PM »

I can't wait until I get the remastered editions. But I can't stand the cover design of the remastered "Yojimbo" DVD. What are they thinking?

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

« #27 : October 19, 2006, 11:09:02 PM »

Hey, I bought that Samurai Boxset.
$80 and I pretty much have to rebuy all of em except Hidden Fortress. Criterion really should consider discounts for their re-releases. Same thing happened to me with Brazil. But I don't think I can stuff in another view. I think I'm up to 10 on that film.

The Yojimbo transfer is ******, even for a bootleg it would be sub par. The Sanjuro is ok.

Also, I'm really glad I waited for Amarcord to get re-released. Best rumor I've ever listened to.

And by "bought" you mean borrowed from me, right? ;)

« : October 19, 2006, 11:13:12 PM Aguirre »

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #28 : October 19, 2006, 11:39:18 PM »

Hey, I bought that Samurai Boxset.
$80 and I pretty much have to rebuy all of em except Hidden Fortress. Criterion really should consider discounts for their re-releases. Same thing happened to me with Brazil. But I don't think I can stuff in another view. I think I'm up to 10 on that film.

The Yojimbo transfer is ******, even for a bootleg it would be sub par. The Sanjuro is ok.

I didn't want to buy Kurosawa films from Criterion. Japanese DVDs have the best transfer. But they are so expensive that I was hesitant to buy them. Now, the rumor from Japan has it Criterion is gonna have the better transfer for "Yojimbo" and "Sanjuro" than the Japanese DVDs.  Sometimes patience pays off. 

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

« #29 : October 19, 2006, 11:59:03 PM »

Late 1800's. Around 1890's I think. Anyway, the film had enough sword fights, this ain't Star Wars where everything has to be done with a saber. The ending to Yojimbo was very creative.

Imagine at the end of Fistful of Dollars that it was ended with Eastwood shooting the baddie. Acceptable, but not exactly creative.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines