Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 09:38:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Feb 2013 German Blu-ray release of Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feb 2013 German Blu-ray release of Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More  (Read 27518 times)
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »

I presume Universum Film GmBH's BD release of FAFDM (and FOD) will use the same HD master as the Paramount DVDs released back in 2005 and extensively discussed here.

Can anyone confirm that the beating scene is still cut?

Stanton, thanks for the heads up by the way. I was hoping to get an update on a BD release from Sebastian and others over at swdb but no one responded for months.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:17:33 AM by Honest Farmer » Logged

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

Can anyone confirm that the beating scene is still cut?

I guess it will probably be the same. Might want to confirm for others that while it is cut, it is less cut than the MGM release.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:21:13 AM »

No. I think it will be uncut this time.
At least they claim it on the cover: "for the first time worldwide in the uncut version"

But we have to wait until it is released to be completerly sure.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »

"Uncut" is what was claimed by TLE Films back in 2005 until those who know better viewed the DVD and noticed the beating scene was still missing some segments. My guess is that Universum has blindly accepted Paramount/TLE's false claim yet the film is still cut. I would be very happy to be proven wrong though.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »

When they say "for the first time" it must be different from the Paramount DVD.

And there was more missing. 3 or 4 short pieces. But nothing which was in any way important.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »

You're right, Manco's intro and Indio laughing after breaking out of jail are also cut on the Paramount DVD.

The Italian BD (Mondo Home Entertainment or MHE) of FAFDM has uncut scenes of Manco and the horse in White Rocks, Indioís laugh post-prison break and the missing dialogue post-beating of Manco and Mortimer.

However, there is is another unsual cut during the beating scene that I don't believe exists in any other home release. During the beating, Manco briefly fights back, gets punched and stumbles back, but there is a cut in the MHE BD at this point and you donít see Manco stumble. Itís a minor cut but just proves that there is not a BD/DVD out there that is totally uncut.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 08:30:13 PM »

At least they claim it on the cover: "for the first time worldwide in the uncut version"

My fingers are tightly crossed  Smiley

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:23 PM »

Agreed. From a business standpoint it makes more sense for Universum to release a BD using the HD master restored by TLE Films. After all, TLE did a fine restoration job nearly a decade ago. Wow, has it been THAT long??  Shocked

LINCOLNS GRANDFATHER
Bandido

Never seen so many men wasted so badly.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 03:04:54 AM »

Im just happy I kept hold of my VHS copy that has all the missing bits. Only problem is the sound is out of sync for the first kill and opening credits. Sad

So many of us have had a session in there.
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 04:49:25 AM »

Im just happy I kept hold of my VHS copy that has all the missing bits. Only problem is the sound is out of sync for the first kill and opening credits. Sad
I had that same version and I remember it being out of sync at the beginning.
I gave that and AFFOD to a friend when I bought them on DVD - how I wish I had kept it too............  Cry

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 05:33:52 AM »

Here is the "full length beating scene" courtesy of Leone Nut http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCQp9rnsuEk

Notice the shot of TMWNN getting a boot in the back at 1:39; shortly afterward is the extra line of dialogue, with Groggy asking Indio, "Why let 'em live?" There may be more that is extra; those are just the two that I noticed off the top of my head; I did not do a careful shot-for-shot comparison.

I do know that on the MGM dvd/br here in America, the scene of Indio laughing after he breaks out of prison -- as his face transitions to his Wanted poster -- is trimmed by a few seconds. I believe (but I am not certain) that the few extra seconds of laughter; and the extra shot and dialogue in beating scene, are both available in the bonus features of the dvd.

Other than the beating scene and laughter scene, are there any other scenes/shots missing from the main feature in the MGM disc?

---

I purchased the Italian blu ray of FOD fro Ripley's Home Video  (mainly because I saw on Beaver's screencaps that in some instances, the image contains more information than in the MGM version. Also cuz it;s possible that image is better). I discus that blu ray more extensively here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=8877.msg157834#msg157834

though it officially says that  disc is Region B; in fact, I was able to confirm before purchase, that the main feature is region-free (the bonus features are indeed Region B, PAL, and in Italian with no subtitles. But I got it for the main feature. Looks beautiful).

So, I am wondering if anyone knows if on any of the the European blu ray of FAFDM, the main feature will be region free as well?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:56:15 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
LINCOLNS GRANDFATHER
Bandido

Never seen so many men wasted so badly.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »

I know its been well documented in earlier posts, but I have to say it - they're filthy double crossing bastards for removing seconds from FAFDM, and as for changing the gun shots on GBU... whoever made that decision, well if ever get them down they're gonna need a lot of help to get back up again.
The only saving grace was when I watched FOD on satellite tv about twenty years ago and they put the cigar burning Clints hand in, I never new this even existed. I nearly had an out of body experience when I watched that scene. It was never on any showings of the film on tv when I was a lad.

So many of us have had a session in there.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 02:34:10 AM »

While the changing of the sound in GBU was done on purpose (for the sake of an unnecessary 5.1. sound), the missing sec. of FaFDM were apparently simply not in the master which was used for the DVD. It seems that there are different masters for FaFDM which are all slightly different. The Italian DVD contains all these snippets, but misses another small part. The Italian Blu seems to be complete, well nearly, there's one whole sec missing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 08:54:35 AM »

The Italian Blu seems to be complete, well nearly, there's one whole sec missing.
Then, is there any reason to suppose the German blu will be superior to the Italian?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »

While the changing of the sound in GBU was done on purpose (for the sake of an unnecessary 5.1. sound), the missing sec. of FaFDM were apparently simply not in the master which was used for the DVD. It seems that there are different masters for FaFDM which are all slightly different. The Italian DVD contains all these snippets, but misses another small part. The Italian Blu seems to be complete, well nearly, there's one whole sec missing.

1) which sec is missing in the Italian?

2) Is the Italian FAFDM blu ray region-free?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM