Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 03:57:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Feb 2013 German Blu-ray release of Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feb 2013 German Blu-ray release of Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More  (Read 27503 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »

Then, is there any reason to suppose the German blu will be superior to the Italian?

German audio, the best way to enjoy the film.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »

1) which sec is missing in the Italian?

2) Is the Italian FAFDM blu ray region-free?

1) Must be again in the beating scene, but who cares for that second?

2) No idea

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »

I purchased the Italian blu ray of FOD fro Ripley's Home Video  (mainly because I saw on Beaver's screencaps that in some instances, the image contains more information than in the MGM version. Also cuz it;s possible that image is better). I discus that blu ray more extensively here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=8877.msg157834#msg157834

though it officially says that  disc is Region B; in fact, I was able to confirm before purchase, that the main feature is region-free (the bonus features are indeed Region B, PAL, and in Italian with no subtitles. But I got it for the main feature. Looks beautiful).

The Blu-ray is region-free.

Some, but not all, of the extra features are SD and encoded in PAL which will often give people with Region A Blu-ray players problems due to NTSC locking on SD output.

Then, is there any reason to suppose the German blu will be superior to the Italian?

I assume it will include English audio.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »

The Blu-ray is region-free.

you referring to the German or the Italian?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »

Italian BD is region free.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 01:56:47 AM »

I assume it will include English audio.

It will, and maybe better picture quality.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 11:33:57 AM »

Hmm, I'm almost sold. I've got the MNIN blu on order. I guess if that turns out well, I'll be willing to take a chance on this.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »

Italian BD is region free.

this bluy ray disc here http://www.amazon.com/Per-Qualche-Dollaro-Clint-Eastwood/dp/B003N8OLN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357847604&sr=8-1&keywords=per+qualche+dollaro+in+piu+blu+ray

but will it play on my American blu ray player, or is the main feature in PAL only?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:00:13 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 07:28:49 PM »

Some of the bonus features on the region-free Italian BD of FOD are encoded at 576p (PAL) in Standard definition. Your Region A BD player most likely only outputs 480p (NTSC), hence it won't output the 576p signal. This is to do with your BD player and not your TV.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »

I got the Ripley's blu ray disc of FOD; the main feature plays just fine in my blu ray player. (I was told that the bonus features are region B-PAL; and they are in Italian anyway, so I have never tried them. I am not concerned about bonus features). I just wanna know if I can be sure that the FAFDM blu ray disc will be the same, that the main feature will play in my American  blu ray player?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:41:39 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »

I was told that the bonus features are region B-PAL...

The disc (which houses the movie and extra features) is region-free not region B. Some of the extras on the region free (not region-B) disc are encoded in PAL.

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 05:06:59 AM »

I have mentioned this in previous threads regarding this highly irritating issue but....

I bought the German boxed set of FOD and FAFDM a few years back (it came in a "dynamite box" with various freebies) and it was the most complete version of FAFDM on dvd I have seen.
It is NOT as complete as the old VHS you could get in the last century (I still have my copy) but it did have the beating scene in its entirety put back so was better than the terrible UK and US releases.

However....
It still had an out of sync Manco walking into White Rocks in the rain and the pointless cutting short of Indio's maniacal laugh post-breakout.

In short an improvement, but not nearly uncut.

I can only presume that as this new bluray is also a German release and from the same company (and with the same artwork as the dvd) that the cut of the film will be the same.
Hope I'm wrong....and I'm sorely tempted to roll the dice and give it a go but to be honest I think I've finally given up on this, my favourite ever film, being released unmolested.

Amazing, what just a few seconds less of film can do eh??

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »

I just wanna know if I can be sure that the FAFDM blu ray disc will be the same, that the main feature will play in my American  blu ray player?
I don't know if you're referring to the Italian or the German versions, but it is likely that both discs are Region B. Good thing I have a region-switching Blu-ray player.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »

I have mentioned this in previous threads regarding this highly irritating issue but....

I bought the German boxed set of FOD and FAFDM a few years back...

...but it did have the beating scene in its entirety put back so was better than the terrible UK and US releases.

The beating scene in the German DVD box set is not uncut. It's still missing a few seconds (e.g. Clint getting booted in the back).

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »

I can only presume that as this new bluray is also a German release and from the same company (and with the same artwork as the dvd) that the cut of the film will be the same.

It is not the same company as already mentioned in this thread.

Yet the fact of the "fully uncut for the first time worldwide" sticker on the cover indicates that they know about the cuts and have hopefully solved the problem.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM