Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 02:48:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Feb 2013 German Blu-ray release of Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feb 2013 German Blu-ray release of Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More  (Read 27308 times)
El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »

It is not the same company as already mentioned in this thread.

Yet the fact of the "fully uncut for the first time worldwide" sticker on the cover indicates that they know about the cuts and have hopefully solved the problem.

I stand corrected.
Still not holding my breath though.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »

any word on whether the main feature of this blu ray will be region free and playable on American blu ray players? (I assume it will have original English audio)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 05:08:12 PM »

Let's just wait until it is released. Then we will see.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 02:29:14 AM »

The disc (which houses the movie and extra features) is region-free not region B. Some of the extras on the region free (not region-B) disc are encoded in PAL.

Thanks!

So I purchased the blu ray http://www.amazon.com/Per-Qualche-Dollaro-Clint-Eastwood/dp/B003N8OLN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359278877&sr=8-1&keywords=per+qualche+dollaro+in+pi%C3%B9+blu+ray

I await it eagerly  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 02:39:38 AM »

1) Are all the versions of FOD currently on dvd/br in various countries identical? (I'm talking about scenes, not audio/video quality).  Frayling has spoken about at least one scene of FOD that was shot but then cut (the Baxters at dinner with the Rojos); I am wondering if that ever made it into any version of the movie that viewers were able to see? or are there any other scenes/shots in any dvd/br of FOD that is different from those versions in another country/region?

2) In America:  Are the MGM Special edition versions of FOD and FAFDM that were released in the past decade (and also packaged as part of "The Sergio Leone Anthology" boxset) identical to the versions of FOD and FAFDM released on individual, bare-bones dvd in the late 90's?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »

I'm afraid you misunderstood. I was quite clearly responding to your comments about the Italian Fistful of Dollars BD.

I don't own the Italian release of FAFDM. However, a quick check here says that it is region free with Italian audio only:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Per-Qualche-Dollaro-In-Piu-Blu-ray/9132/

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »

aiight, I'll see when I get it; if it's wrong, I can always sell it

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »

I have the Mondo BD of FAFDM. It's region free.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »

1) Are all the versions of FOD currently on dvd/br in various countries identical? (I'm talking about scenes, not audio/video quality).  Frayling has spoken about at least one scene of FOD that was shot but then cut (the Baxters at dinner with the Rojos); I am wondering if that ever made it into any version of the movie that viewers were able to see? or are there any other scenes/shots in any dvd/br of FOD that is different from those versions in another country/region?

2) In America:  Are the MGM Special edition versions of FOD and FAFDM that were released in the past decade (and also packaged as part of "The Sergio Leone Anthology" boxset) identical to the versions of FOD and FAFDM released on individual, bare-bones dvd in the late 90's?

1) Based on my scrutiny of FOD in DVD/BD format available around the world (and my recollection since I haven't watched them in quite some time), the cut is the same. I found no differences in any scenes. I recall reading that SL used all footage that was shot.

However, the beating scene on one of the laserdiscs is cut big time and the audio is out of sync as a result for a few minutes afterwards. Very crude. I'd have to dust my (MGM, MGM SE, CVC, Mondo) DVDs off and re-examine the beating scene to be 100% sure that none of them are cut (but I'm pretty confident it was only the laserdisc that was affected). I'm willing to do that if you wish. Let me know.

Is it known if the dinner scene was completed and subsequently cut? I don't think there's any definitive info on this.

2) FOD is the same but I'd have to re-watch the 90s DVD and compare it with the SE, but your answer can probably be found on this site:

http://www.forafewdollarsmore.net/

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:02:55 PM by Honest Farmer » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »

1) Based on my scrutiny of FOD in DVD/BD format available around the world (and my recollection since I haven't watched them in quite some time), the cut is the same. I found no differences in any scenes. I recall reading that SL used all footage that was shot.

However, the beating scene on one of the laserdiscs is cut big time and the audio is out of sync as a result for a few minutes afterwards. Very crude. I'd have to dust my (MGM, MGM SE, CVC, Mondo) DVDs off and re-examine the beating scene to be 100% sure that none of them are cut (but I'm pretty confident it was only the laserdisc that was affected). I'm willing to do that if you wish. Let me know.

Is it known if the dinner scene was completed and subsequently cut? I don't think there's any definitive info on this.

2) FOD is the same but I'd have to re-watch the 90s DVD and compare it with the SE, but your answer can probably be found on this site:

http://www.forafewdollarsmore.net/

Thanks.

I'm not worried about videotapes or laserdiscs, I'm just focusing on the dvd's and blu rays.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »

I have the Mondo BD of FAFDM. It's region free.

but there's no English audio? are there English subtitles?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:23:10 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »

No and no.   Cry

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »

okay, I just received that (Mondo) Italian blu ray of FAFDM http://www.amazon.com/Per-Qualche-Dollaro-Clint-Eastwood/dp/B003N8OLN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359278877&sr=8-1&keywords=per+qualche+dollaro+in+pi%C3%B9+blu+ray
As Novocento and Honest Farmer said, the disc is region free, but the only language is Italian; there's no English audio or subtitles. Kinda sucks (the beautiful Ripley's FOD blu ray had English audio; why couldn't the fuckers at Mondo do the same?!). Being such a huge fan of the movie though [and only a slight nerd about this shit], I'm still happy to have the various versions.

(As for image quality, it's hard for me to compare with the MGM American blu ray cuz I don't have 2 screens where I could compare 'em side by side; I am basically just comparing it from memory, which is not a very good way of doing things, but I think that the Mondo image is somewhat less sharp, like the color looks a little more faded, not as sharp and bright as the MGM. I only watched a few minutes of it, maybe the other reels are different, but based on this very cursory glance, I believe the MGM blu ray image is superior. Doesn't matter for me anyway, I'll only be watching the MGM one cuz I don't speak Italian).

depp91
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 01:28:44 PM »

There's a comparison between the US BluRay and the Italien BluRay here:
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=666#auswahl

Hopefully, they'll add a comparison to the German BluRay, too.
On this site you will also find comparisons für FOD and GBU, by the way.

I live in Germany and have preordered both the FOD and FAFDM BluRays and if I'm not busy I will give you a quick info on the quality when I've received them!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »

Interesting. Going by the screen caps comparison I'd say the US disc shows details better, the Italian disc has better colors.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM