Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 10:20:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  commentary on OUATITW dvd
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: commentary on OUATITW dvd  (Read 5953 times)
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 07:17:37 AM »

I recently watched the commentary on the blu ray and have to say that I looked forward to whenever Frayling would start to speak again. Btw, does John Milius remind anyone of Goodman's character in The Big Lebowski?

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 07:56:44 AM »

I recently watched the commentary on the blu ray and have to say that I looked forward to whenever Frayling would start to speak again.

I agree.

I have heard a few people complain that on the OUATITW commentary, Frayling sometimes simply narrates the plot, but I really don't recall that. If it is true, it's only on OUATITW. He also neglects to mention in the "Harmonica Rising" scene the history of that scene being removed and re-inserted. But the whole commentary of OUATITW is a mess cuz of the "commentary by committee" bullshit. I don't even know if Frayling recorded a full commentary and they only used parts of it, or if he was told which parts of his they would use. This commentary is such a motherfucking mess, it really irritates me. This movie -- as all of Leone's movies -- really deserve a full commentary by Frayling.

On the movies where he has done a full commentary: COR, FOD, FAFDM, DYS, and GBU (blu ray only) his commentaries are always amazing and full of useful information, he virtually never reverts to narration, nor he does he leave much dead air. Not to mention the fact that he has a great voice and great commentary style; all of his statements sound like they are coming from memory, unlike some other commentators who have written prepared statements and sound like they are reading off a paper. Even aside from all his knowledge about Leone, Frayling his my favorite commentator just for his speaking style. eg. he gave the commentary on one of the dvd releases of The Magnificent Seven -- this one only http://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Seven-Two-Disc-Collectors/dp/B000BX0VRI/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1361976742&sr=1-2&keywords=the+magnificent+seven+collector%27s+edition -- and I absolutely love it. he is definitely my favorite dvd commentator ever, just for his speaking style, even if he had never done a Leone movie.

Anyway, what I'd really love to see, but it's a dream, is for someone at Paramount to actually say, "This movie, which many people consider to be the greatest Western ever, deserves an unbutchered commentary" and have Frayling record a new, complete commentary for some future release. But I'm not holding my breath.

What I am hoping for, and what I think there is a realistic chance of, is to have Frayling record the commentary for the new restored version of OUATIA whenever they get around to releasing it in English. Now THAT would be awesome  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 03:52:33 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K30e9O3Nng  Afro

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »

Btw, does John Milius remind anyone of Goodman's character in The Big Lebowski?

Well, the latter's explicitly modeled on Milius, so that would make sense.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »

watching the bonus features on the dvd, look at John Milius in the interview: he is this huge bearded guy with his cigars, and here is the funny thing: he wears a pair of these enormous glasses, and he has another pair on his desk in front of him, and then another pair clipped onto his shirt!!!!! I was laughing so hard I could barely hear what he was saying. It's like the guy is afraid of ever being more than six inches away from a pair of glasses  Grin

p.s. @Senza, thanks for making the boards livelier this week than they have been in a long time. It's been pretty dead here lately. New young blood always livens the boards for the first few days. But don't let up  Wink Afro

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:29:57 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 10:43:03 PM »

No worries, mate! I appreciate it! I'm glad to be a part of this community with people who share similar interests, and I will do my best to make my contribution and continue to liven up these boards with my own discussions and opinions.  Afro

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:44:29 PM by Senza » Logged

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 03:26:25 AM »

Another thing about John Milius, after watching The Big Lebowski, this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbI0cMyyw_M was playing in my head when I was watching his interview on the blu ray of OUATITW

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM