Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 02:27:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Screenings of the new extended version
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Screenings of the new extended version  (Read 10720 times)
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 03:04:29 AM »

Thanks for the link rexlic. I'm not sure that Warner Bros are the sole copyright holders but it confirms what several have suggested:

"...Warner Bros. has since taken this extra-extended cut out of circulation for unspecified legal reasons..."

There are mixed reports on whether the 229 min newly restored version is better than the Warner Bros. version and we should find out a lot more next month.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »

I'll be at Film Forum at 7 PM tonite for the final showing. I know they're not showing the new footage, but hey, anytime I get a chance to see a Leone movie on the medium screen, I'll take it  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 09:02:19 PM »

I'll be at Film Forum at 7 PM tonite for the final showing. I know they're not showing the new footage, but hey, anytime I get a chance to see a Leone movie on the medium screen, I'll take it  Afro

That's a great idea.  Out here in Arizona such chances are very rare.  Mrs. Cusser and I saw GBU as part of the 90th Anniversary of United Artists tour, first time it had shown on big screen in Phoenix area in 29 years.  We saw Once/West and Once/America in 1985/1986, at a center for the arts film festival.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 12:06:14 AM »

got back from Film Forum a little while ago.

This was the final of 14 showings of OUATIA (twice a day for the past week), and I was very pleased to see the theater virtually sold out! Other than a few scattered single seats here and there, the place was jammed. There were well over 100 people in attendance on this Thursday evening. (I used to run a student group at law school that was a Chapter of a large national organization, and I was required to report the number of attendees at each event to the national organization; ever since, I find myself instinctively counting the crowd whenever I am at an event  Wink) I asked one of Film Forum's employees, just to get an idea of what attendance has been like: he said that while tonight's crowd may be somewhat bigger since it's the last showing, they have had very large crowds throughout the week for OUATIA, and he said that it's possible that they may have sold out one or two of the screenings. I was very happy to see that there is such enthusiasm for Leone movies
The crowd was  a mix of older and middle-aged people, and younger people that basically all look like stereotypical Village people. I'm not sure if that's because only artsy-types are nerdy enough to attend screenings of classic movies, or if it's just because the Film Forum is located in the Village, but I've been to three Film Forum showings now (GBU, OUATIA, and Vertigo), and in all instances -- just about everyone under 35 was an "artist."

The crowd was into it, laughed at all the appropriate (or more accurately, the "inappropriate" moments), at all the crudeness (including virtually every scene involving Peggy!) Sometimes, you can see a movie 50 or 100 times alone on dvd at home, but only fully appreciate all it's hilarious and crude moments when you are watching it in a theater with everyone laughs at these moments that previously you never thought much about.

You know the one dude in every theater who laughs REALLY loud and long at everything as if he is watching alone, completely oblivious to the fact that there are other people there who hear him? Cackling over a line long after everyone else has quieted down, muttering random "OMG's" etc. Well that guy was sitting just a couple of seats away from me -- only his wife was between us -- some big ugly fat snorting bastard with a pretty wife. It was mostly hilarious, actually.

I was waiting to see what would happen during the rape scene -- it was deadly silent (there's no music over that scene, of course) -- well, there was not a single audible reaction, (other than an audible "OMG" from the fat bastard).

Alright, I think that's enough of that shit for now  Wink

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:14:07 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »

You know the one dude in every theater who laughs REALLY loud and long at everything as if he is watching alone, completely oblivious to the fact that there are other people there who hear him?
Yeah, that guy's a real ass. But the dude that really chafes my nuts is the ADD guy who is jumping up every 5 minutes to go buy popcorn. Was that jerk there?

How does the DCP compare to the blu-ray? Blu-ray is, I believe, sub-2K, so whether what you saw was 2K or 4K, you should have seen an image with greater color density. Anything to report?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »

Yeah, that guy's a real ass. But the dude that really chafes my nuts is the ADD guy who is jumping up every 5 minutes to go buy popcorn. Was that jerk there?

How does the DCP compare to the blu-ray? Blu-ray is, I believe, sub-2K, so whether what you saw was 2K or 4K, you should have seen an image with greater color density. Anything to report?

Well if the guy going to get popcorn is sitting at the end and doesn't walk past you, why should that bother you?

The image definitely did not look any better than the blu ray.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »

1920 and 2K (2000) isn't far enough for human eye to notice if you ask me.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »

The crowd was into it, laughed at all the appropriate (or more accurately, the "inappropriate" moments), at all the crudeness (including virtually every scene involving Peggy!) Sometimes, you can see a movie 50 or 100 times alone on dvd at home, but only fully appreciate all it's hilarious and crude moments when you are watching it in a theater with everyone laughs at these moments that previously you never thought much about.

I noticed that at Lawrence too.

Anyway, thanks for the report Drink. Glad to hear that Leone interest remains alive and well, at least in NYC. Too bad about the fatass, but then jerks are an essential part of the moviegoing experience. Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »

Too bad about the fatass, but then jerks are an essential part of the moviegoing experience. Cheesy

haha don't be sorry, it was funny! and I kept wondering how he landed himself that babe. I mean, his wife was a BABE. She must have been a very good cook and fattened up the bastard. I felt bad for her; she's kept herself well and now she's getting nothing. Just some really loud snoring, I bet.

Which reminds me, when I was at Lincoln, some old lady fell asleep and started snoring. She was too far away from me to shake her, so I just started throwing popcorn at her face, one piece at a time; she stirred on the third piece, and woke up on the 4th. The theater was full of old people -- some community theater on the Upper Est Side -- and they were all laughing and giving me the thumbs up   Evil

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:53:23 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »

I'll have to try that popcorn trick sometime. It seems like every historical movie I attend comes with a commentary from some middle-aged loud mouth. For commentary read
"explaining what is right there onscreen loud enough for everyone to hear."

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM