Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 08:10:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Breaking Point (The) (1950)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breaking Point (The) (1950)  (Read 1072 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »

An otherwise moral captain of a charter boat becomes financially strapped and is drawn into illegal activities in order to keep up payments on his boat.

Director: Michael Curtiz
Writers: Ranald MacDougall, Ernest Hemingway (novel)
Stars: John Garfield, Patricia Neal and Phyllis Thaxter

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:03 PM »

I remember liking this very much. I mean, it's potential Top 50 Films Ever material but it's been so long since I saw it that I can't say anything for sure.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:45:35 AM »

A more faithful adaptation of Hemingway's "To Have And Have Not" not very stylistically "Noir" but interesting and believable performances by all. 7/10  will expand.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:20:48 PM »

I just finished watching my dvr of Eddie Muller's most recent "Night in Noir City" visit to TCM; this was the final title.

Robert Osbourne said, and I agree with him, that this doesn't seem much like a noir, but Muller said that (for classification purposes) he doesn't care all that much about the look of the noir, the black and white and high-contrast cinematography, etc., but he focuses more about the story: you have a protagonist put in a situation where he has to do something he knows is wrong, it's just an average person who realized he has the capabilities of being a criminal. So, he considers it a noir from the plot angle.

I'd give this one a 7.5/10

Very good performances all around. Particularly great were Patricia Neal and Wallace Ford, who played the crooked lawyer, IMO he delivered an Oscar-worthy performance.

SPOILER ALERT

(I never read the Hemingway story, but I'm just focusing on the screenplay): I think that normally, Garfield's character would have died, but he was probably saved for the sake of his wife and kids. He definitely deserved to die; by the end of the movie, I had zero sympathy for him whatsoever; to the extent that I cared for his well-being, it was only for the sake of his wife and kids.

The final shot was incredibly haunting, with the black kid standing there all alone, waiting for his dad. The fact that the movie didn't feel a  need to tie everything up; it left the poor kid standing there, waiting for his dad, IMO it has to be considered an all-time great final shot. If not what you'd call a "great ending," cuz it's not like there is any big plot twist, but a great final shot

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:07:24 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:32 PM »

Criterion Blu-ray for August:
SPECIAL FEATURES

New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New interview with biographer and film historian Alan K. Rode (Michael Curtiz: A Life in Film)
New piece featuring actor and acting instructor Julie Garfield speaking about her father, actor John Garfield
New video essay by filmmakers Tony Zhou and Taylor Ramos, analyzing Curtiz's directorial techniques
Excerpts from a 1962 episode of the Today show showing contents of the Ernest Hemingway House in Key West, Florida, including items related to To Have and Have Not, the novel on which The Breaking Point is based
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Stephanie Zacharek

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:40:19 AM »

While it's a solid movie, it takes all the fun and most of the entertainment out of Hawks' To Have and Have Not and focuses on the story, which was never all that great to begin with. Hemingway may have called To Have and Have Not his worst novel.

Meanwhile, Le Samourai still hasn't made the upgrade to bluray.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »

While it's a solid movie, it takes all the fun and most of the entertainment out of Hawks' To Have and Have Not and focuses on the story, which was never all that great to begin with. Hemingway may have called To Have and Have Not his worst novel.

Well, it's not much of a novel.
2 earlier written short stories, written in an odd Dashiell Hammett style, and then 100 pages (in the now usual Hemingway style) added, which somehow should give the title a meaning. I like it though, and it is not his worst novel.

Hawk's film, which despite having "Ernest Hemingway's THaHN" written in the titles, has, apart from a few names, absolutely nothing to do with novel. Even the time and the setting are not taken from the novel. And of course the title makes zero sense for the film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 07:27:07 AM »

Bosley Crowther has seen the picture . . . and he loves it! http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9A05E0D7143DEF3BBC4F53DFB667838B649EDE

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM