Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 07:50:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)  (Read 7664 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »

When the dark man goes away he mentions his wife, what he didn't do at the beginning. As I understood it, it can't be a flashback.

Huh? Huh

I noticed he mentioned her the first time around...

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »

Anyways, it is a good movie, but it hardly swept me away. Perhaps cause I was expecting something ''meaningful'' to happen? (At least in the end.)

I might give it another try one of these days but right now I hardly feel the urge.

7.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »

Anyways, it is a good movie, but it hardly swept me away. Perhaps cause I was expecting something ''meaningful'' to happen? (At least in the end.)

The only meaningless scenes of the film are the John Goodman ones (and they're great enough to let them in). All the other scenes, including the last ones, are very "meaningful"...

Anyway, that's the kind of film that gets you or doesn't get you. I don't really think this one is arguable. It's one of the films that had the deepest impact on me ever.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:20:41 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »

The only meaningless scenes of the film are the John Goodman ones (and they're great enough to let them in). All the other scenes, including the last ones, are very "meaningful"...

Anyway, that's the kind of film that gets you or doesn't get you. I don't really think this one is arguable. It's one of the films that had the deepest impact on me ever.
It's the Coen Bros film that has left me the biggest impression on me. Probably because behind all the snark there's a real sense of transcendence. All the other films poke fun at such a notion, or, as in A Serious Man, problematize it. But the music is real--it can't be mocked.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »

There are some ''two kinds of...'' lines in this, don't believe anyone mentioned.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2014, 02:50:28 PM »

I just saw the movie for the first time (BRD), I give it an 8/10. And, btw, the music didn't interest me at all. But I enjoyed the movie anyway.

RE: the whole flashback vs. dream debate: whether or not they show the whole thing in beginning and end, or it's slightly different, how does that affect whether it's a flashback or a dream?
There are definitely some scenes I saw that were identical shots between the opening scene and closing scene; some looked like different shots of the same scene.

The Dylan bit at the end was very cool. I have never been interested in folk music ... but Dylan is the one singer from that genre that I am indeed familiar with; I used to spend a lot of time listening to Dylan's folk music. (In fact, I've never listened to any of his post-accident music.)

Weird fact: I have a step-cousin (whom I have never met) who, a few years ago, was playing in a band with Dylan's grandson.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »

I just saw the movie for the first time (BRD), I give it an 8/10. And, btw, the music didn't interest me at all.
Absolutely irrelevant. The film is about Music, not about a particular genre. The 60s folk scene is just the (very necessarily specific) background against which the filmmakers can make more general points. In the specific the general can be revealed. But not to Philistines.

P.S. Zimmerman sucks.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »

Absolutely irrelevant. The film is about Music, not about a particular genre. The 60s folk scene is just the (very necessarily specific) background against which the filmmakers can make more general points. In the specific the general can be revealed. But not to Philistines.

P.S. Zimmerman sucks.

that's my point, that I was able to enjoy the movie even though I am not a fan of that sort of music.

I feel awfully bad for you if you can't enjoy Dylan's folk music. That guy is great. Hey Mr. Tambourine Man ...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »

And Jenkins immediately demolishes his credibility as the board's music snob.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »

He only believes in him. In yoko and him.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2015, 11:47:36 PM »

I confirm my initial rating. Afro

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »

I confirm my initial rating. Afro

I confirm you're wrong.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2015, 09:40:51 PM »

https://www.criterion.com/films/28721-inside-llewyn-davis

Criterion has announced Inside Llewyn Davis on Blu-Ray, which is kind of cool, but not that cool... considering it had a really good Blu-Ray come out like, a year ago....and Punch Drunk Love still doesn't have a Blu yet....or Hard Eight.....sooooooo......come on Criterion.........

but still cool, I guess

kind of..

American Friend is being released too, DJ. too bad it's boring as fuck. Bring on Kings of the Road!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:43:49 PM by PowerRR » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2015, 07:02:01 AM »

American Friend is being released too, DJ. too bad it's boring as fuck. Bring on Kings of the Road!
Wenders has said the first video releases of his newly restored films will be American Friend and Goalie's Anxiety. The Road Trilogy will be released after those as a unit. Last I heard, Falsche Bewegung, one of the films in the set, hadn't been restored yet. Keep waiting.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2016, 05:43:13 AM »

The only point this movie makes that I could detect was that folk music as picked up by amateurs in the late '50's early 60's stinks. In this regard the Goodman soliloquies (disguised as dialogues) make the point quite clear for those who have ears and are the only moments when this film is worth watching. And so does oneliner Abraham speaks when he says he can see no money there. Still a brilliant minute and 99' of bore.
But it may also be that the whole stuff was not meant as ironical, as we see and hear Dylan at the end which would prove all of this wrong (fortunately the Beatles came to sweep out all this crap - Baez, Van Ronk, Paxton: you name them - away: with only Dylan left standing but surely not a folk-singer anymore). In that case the movie would even be more useless and you'd have had to sit through 100' of trivial episodes and, most of all, terrible amateurish music. Well, take your pick. 5/10

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM