Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:52:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Niagara (1953)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Niagara (1953)  (Read 8296 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2013, 05:57:59 PM »

My blu-ray disc from Amazon finally arrived. Just started watching a few minutes ago. It is a BEAUT  Afro Afro Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 01:35:29 AM »

Watched the rest of the blu-ray disc tonite. It is absolutely gorgeous. If you are a fan of this movie, you MUST MUST MUST see the blu-ray. It is everything a movie like this deserves. I've been saying for a while that this movie needs a good BRD restoration, and lemme tell you, this baby was worth the wait. Absolutely beautiful.

As for what I said earlier about being afraid that the bright colors may take away the film's "noir-ness," no worries about that. There are actually very few night scenes in the movie, and not that many noir visuals anyway - most of the noir visuals are in the shadow of the window blinds. But this is primarily a daytime and outdoor film, and it's simply beautiful. Fox did a spectacular job. My only disappointment is in the lack of bonus features just the trailer for this film, and the trailers for a few other Monroe films (I wonder if they're waiting a few months to release a big package with bonus features, so that serious fans who've bought the BRD will double-dip?) But hey, you can't have everything. Right now, I am a very happy little boy  Smiley

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:04:38 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 09:28:59 AM »

so dj, have you seen the blu ray yet? It's already more than a whole week since it was released!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »

Yeah, well, I'm on my vacation, here in Seattle, so I didn't pick it up right away. But then my buddy--let's call him Calder Benson--decided he just had to have a new 50" plasma screen. So I helped him set that up. Then he needed things to watch on it, so I suggested Niagara--he'd never seen it before. So we watched it Friday night.

As reported, the colors are really good. I had trouble finding an audio setting I was really happy with--I couldn't quite hear the dialog as clearly as I would have liked, but that could just be due to my unfamiliarity with my friend's new system. Calder seemed to enjoy the film--he noticed how Hitchcockian it is. This seemed like a good comment, especially in regard to the bell tower-murder sequence: the way in which shots of the bells are intercut into the scene, the high shot from above of the crime, the sense of suspense created, first for the victim, and then for the perp after he gets locked into the tower. And of course with Hitch you often get the famous-landmark-worked-into-the-climax routine: the Statue of Liberty in Saboteur, Mt. Rushmore in NxNW. Hathaway, of course, uses the Falls in the same way ("Falls" is the operative word, that being a recurring motif in Hitchcock). The way in which the pop theme song is worked and re-worked throughout the soundtrack until you get the payoff with the bell chimes--worthy of Hitch as well, and nicely done.

So, a good film, nicely presented on this new release. I give the film an 8, the BD a 10.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 11:14:58 PM »

I just watched the BRD again, gotta say that the movie is almost good despite itself.

stanton called it "a lame and disappointing thriller without any thrills 5/10" and it's hard to disagree with him. As a thriller, this is a basically a failure, the direction is nothing special, but somehow I love watching it, partially for personal reasons: Having visited Niagara Falls three times, somehow the movie is extra special to me, not just seeing the falls itself but the areas and tourist sites around the Falls, brings back these memories for me. Of course, that doesn't help any of you watching it, so I am pointing this out specifically, the rating I gave the movie (a 9/10 originally, maybe I'd drop a point or half-point now) is partially for personal reasons and therefore may not apply to y'all.
The colors on the BRD are spectacular.
Marilyn is used very well here - the two great forces of nature, Niagara Falls and Marilyn Monroe - it's kinda comical how they use her, I had to laugh. Firstly, when she walks, she is so obviously trying her hardest to shake her ass, it's hilarious. (As one critic said at the time, "She's got her whole future behind her!") And her makeup is always perfect, lipstick always thick, even when she is sleeping, in the shower, or in a medically induced coma!

Also, notice how she changes outfits three times on the final day of her life: when she goes to the bus station to get the bus tickets, she has the blue/gray outfit; then, when she reports her husband missing, she has the red/black outfit on; then, when she has to go identify "her husband" in the morgue, she is wearing all black and white (no, the black isn't for mourning, she's doesn't even know he is dead yet.)

She should have been wearing the same outfit all day - what kinda woman changes outfits every scene on the same day her husband is missing, and has perfect makeup in the shower, while sleeping, and while in a  medically induced coma? Answer: Marilyn Monroe, when the movie is trying to show her looking pretty at all costs, regardless of whether or not it makes sense  Roll Eyes Grin

There really is no tension in the story, as a thriller it is comically silly.

Joseph Cotten adds nothing to this movie (or any other movie he was ever in). His is the one character I really wish had been cast with someone else. Jean Peters is okay. IMO Casey Adams, i.e. Max Showalter, was a terrific choice for this movie, he's this nerdy innocent naive guy with no clue what's going on, way in over his head, with this naive big smile all the time, I thought that was mad funny.

Another thing that makes no sense: after Cotten kills Marilyn's lover, why does the bell tower play their song? How would Cotten know that the lover had said he'd play the song once he kills Cotten? Later, (once Marilyn is in a coma) we actually see Cotten putting in that song request ... but it kinda doesn't make sense that Cotten would know to play that song in the bell tower.

And remember, the  movie takes place on the Canadian side, yet when Adams/Peters go on the Maid of the Mist boat, the announcement says, "Most famous boat ride in America!  Grin

Anyway, so there's really no tension, as a thriller it's a joke, the direction is nothing any amateur couldn't have done, lotsa the shit is silly, yet somehow .... somehow ... the colors are beautiful (probably more so on the blu ray than they were ever intended by the filmmakers) Marilyn and Casey Adams were used very well, something very cute about the motel and the other little locations in Canada (before the whole Canadian side became commercialized high-rise luxury hotels), and it means a lot to me personally, bringing back good memories, so somehow .... I give this like an 8.5/10 .... but I could hardly argue if someone else doesn't rate it half as well  Wink

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:33:17 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2014, 04:39:45 AM »

Firstly, when she walks, she is so obviously trying her hardest to shake her ass, it's hilarious.

I read somewhere recently that supposedly the wardrobe crew would saw off the tip of one of her high heels to accentuate her walk.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »

I read somewhere recently that supposedly the wardrobe crew would saw off the tip of one of her high heels to accentuate her walk.

Grin

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »

Saw it again after ages, on my big screen. Agree with most of what said. I don't usually like Cotten, but here is nothing short of perfect. Some of his scenes are bordering on pure horror, much better than some of Hitchcock.  And the finale, in spite of backprojection, is very well made. 8/10 for the problem pointed by jinxy of the divorce: it should have been made clearer why she wants him dead instead of just leaving him flat.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2017, 09:44:43 PM »

The movie played on TCM tonight, caught the final two minutes, of Peters being rescued by the helicopter. Pretty bad continuity error: She gets into the rescue seat and doesn't fasten her seat belt; the helicopter starts pulling her up immediately. Then we cut to her being raised into the helicopter, and her seat belt is fastened Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM