Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:16:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Decline of the Western
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Decline of the Western  (Read 5532 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 02:29:44 AM »

Westerns were never about authenticity they were amplified reality, basically about legend and myth.

Yes, "supposed" reality was always more a question of atmosphere than of reproduced reality.

I like an "authentic" looking atmosphere in westerns, but don't care if this is really based on facts.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 04:07:05 AM »

Yes, "supposed" reality was always more a question of atmosphere than of reproduced reality.

I like an "authentic" looking atmosphere in westerns, but don't care if this is really based on facts.

Its a very nebulous quality that seems to be almost a lost art form.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
graysev
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »

Check out the leaked pics of Beau Bridges as Rooster Cogburn in the remake of True Grit. The hat he's wearing is for authenticity. The Duke NEVER wore a hat like that in True Grit. Bridges made the role his own,but no one and I mean no one will ever be able to play Rooster like the Duke did.

If it weren't for that dress,I'd think you were a man,you ugly old wart.
elliot_belt
Chicken Thief

learn your horse.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »

Have to say that I sympathize with Stanton's view, if it actually is historically correct the better but if not - print the legend  Smiley

[...] the old man only said that it was pointless to speak of there being no horses in the world for God would not permit such a thing.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »

Check out the leaked pics of Beau Bridges as Rooster Cogburn in the remake of True Grit. The hat he's wearing is for authenticity. The Duke NEVER wore a hat like that in True Grit. Bridges made the role his own,but no one and I mean no one will ever be able to play Rooster like the Duke did.

Can't go by just hats there were a great variety of types and styles worn.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7622.0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
graysev
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 10:14:02 PM »

Bridges is wearing a derby hat unlike the Duke,while playing Rooster. I've talked with some people who like the hat Wayne wore in the film and some like the new version. I prefer the old version. Everyone has their favorites.

If it weren't for that dress,I'd think you were a man,you ugly old wart.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 04:52:22 AM »

Have to say that I sympathize with Stanton's view, if it actually is historically correct the better but if not - print the legend  Smiley

There has got to be a balance between the real and the legend, too historically correct comes off as a boring costume historical drama period piece, with actors using archaic speech, too action oriented has actors running across roof rafters, too politically correct has no obvious ethnic villains, heroes who are "Peace, Love, Dove, "I'll only kill you twice if I have too" Environmentalists, and actors not smoking, too political has various thinly veiled messages woven into the plots.

Westerns were about Myth and Legend. I think there are too many agendas out there to be able to make a real Western these days.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 06:18:57 AM »

Bridges is wearing a derby hat unlike the Duke,while playing Rooster. I've talked with some people who like the hat Wayne wore in the film and some like the new version. I prefer the old version. Everyone has their favorites.
Not sure about the hat, but here's Portis's description of Cogburn:
". . . I was surprised when an old one-eyed jasper that was built along the limes of Grover Cleveland went up and was sworn. I say "old." He was about forty years of age. The floor boards squeeked under his weight. He was wearing a dusty black suit of clothes and when he sat down I saw that his badge was on his vest. It was a little silver circle with a star in it. He had a mustache like Cleveland too."

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »

Is it unfair to compare all the westerns I see to Sergio Leone's westerns? To me, the guy sets the benchmark.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM