Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 10:59:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Titles For "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Titles For "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly"  (Read 1126 times)
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:49:54 PM »

I've just made an account on this board which I've been lurking on for several months, reading some interesting discussions on Sergio Leone's movies, but I haven't come across one that mentions the introducing titles for "the ugly", "the bad", and "the good". Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but notice how each of the titles are initially red when we first get introduced to these characters but at the end of the movie when the titles are re-introduced, the colours have changed for each of the characters, "the ugly" is in green, "the bad" in red, and "the good" in yellow - almost as if at the beginning of the movie all these characters are the same, but at the end of the movie, they have changed and almost grown into their character names (I hope this makes sense). I just wondering if anyone else thought about this, or maybe if it means nothing at all.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:05:12 AM »

I've just made an account on this board which I've been lurking on for several months, reading some interesting discussions on Sergio Leone's movies, but I haven't come across one that mentions the introducing titles for "the ugly", "the bad", and "the good". Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but notice how each of the titles are initially red when we first get introduced to these characters but at the end of the movie when the titles are re-introduced, the colours have changed for each of the characters, "the ugly" is in green, "the bad" in red, and "the good" in yellow - almost as if at the beginning of the movie all these characters are the same, but at the end of the movie, they have changed and almost grown into their character names (I hope this makes sense). I just wondering if anyone else thought about this, or maybe if it means nothing at all.

Good point to ponder.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tex
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »

Good eye! I suppose it's not hard to come up with some possible meanings of the end colors. Green: envy, Red: violence, rage, bloodlust, Yellow: Blondie the "golden haired angel".

But more interesting is that they are all the same in the beginning. When I was younger, it took some getting used to the Good being a bit of a con man. Still, Blondie and Tuco's little ruse is not on the level of string of murders we see with Angel Eyes. They are ALL, though, acting for cash, a fact that remains true throughout the film.

I think it's safe to say that Blondie rises in our estimation of him, at least in terms of his being "The Good". The two moments that leap to mind are his compassion for the captain and, of course, the dying soldier.

Angel Eyes is pretty much the same sort of bad if not more so (the deleted scene visit to the confederate camp being the exception).

Does Tuco change that much?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 04:16:22 PM »

This is an interesting area to explore. Can anyone confirm that the same trick is done with the Italian titles?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:14:48 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVe_heQDaKI - according to this, it does.

0:26 - 0:38, I also noticed how Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef get credited here, when in the US version, you just here the gunshots.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM