Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 03:57:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Journey Into Fear (1943)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Journey Into Fear (1943)  (Read 1686 times)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »

I don't think it has ever been really established who directed Journey Into Fear. Officially directed by Norman Foster, Orson Welles always denied meddling in the direction of his friend Foster, but one look at the movie tells every moviegoer that Welles obviously had his finger in the pie directing the film. I'd say the camera angles and visually detailed arrangements of the shots are signature Welles.

I was caught out by the brevity of the film.
Greenbudgie, the film only has a short running time of 68 minutes. Apparently the original version was 90 minutes long, but the powers that be at RKO took their hatchets and butchered the movie down to 68 minutes. Due to cutting, there are subplots that are only implied, but never explicitly explained.

However, the longer European cut has been found. Morrison Dylon, who seems to be MIA here, wrote about it a few months ago on imdb after seeing it. But unfortunately it has not come out on DVD yet. I'd really love to see it too.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »

However, the longer European cut has been found. Morrison Dylon, who seems to be MIA here, wrote about it a few months ago on imdb after seeing it. But unfortunately it has not come out on DVD yet. I'd really love to see it too.
Hmm, any idea how much longer it is?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »

any idea how much longer it is?

No, not exactly but I as far as I remember it's probably around the original 90 minutes. The version is quite different, it has no voice-over I believe. If morrison pops up again, I'll ask him to repost.

Jessica Rabbit
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »

I got the Spanish DVD that he mentioned, it's longer starting off with an intro that doesn't really add anything to the whole, I actually prefer the more cryptic version we have and know.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »

Joe, can you tell us a bit more about the Spanish DVD? Is it remastered, how long is it, and what's so different between the two versions? Also, is the DVD Region 2?

Jessica Rabbit
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 04:07:07 AM »

Hmm, I don't remember that the German version was longer than the US one.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 06:27:20 AM »

Joe, can you tell us a bit more about the Spanish DVD? Is it remastered, how long is it, and what's so different between the two versions? Also, is the DVD Region 2?

It's a "Clasicos del Cine Negro" title, the title is Estambul, No it's not remastered, it's Region 2 and listed as 70 minute run time. And assuming that's a PAL rather than NTSC run time.

Instead of starting outside the hotel room of the assassin Banat and zooming up to the room, it has a regular RKO radio tower logo beginning with complete credits, then shows a map of Istanbul before going to the beginning we all know i.e. the street zoom up to room then to assassin. Next assassin in street watching hotel. Then to arrival of Cotton and his wife at hotel. Their meeting with Sloane at the hotel. Then Sloane suggests they go down to the bar to talk business. Then they go to cabaret around corner and watch lady in catsuit. Assassin then arrives at cabaret. Then magic act. Then the murder of Magician. Then to police station to meet Welles secret police inspector colonel Haki. It may have a few more scenes or just extended scenes. I'd have to watch them back to back to tell you more.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 07:55:49 AM »

Joe, thanks. So I was wrong about it being 90 minutes long. Really just a few minutes longer than the other print. If it's not remastered, I doubt I'll buy it.

Jessica Rabbit
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 05:54:36 AM »

Thanks Jessica for explaining why the film was so short when I saw it. I'm interested in seeing any extended versions there are as the TV channels that I see always show the abbreviated version.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 02:16:02 AM »

This movie showed last week on TCM Noir Alley. I DVR'd it; I'll be saving it on my DVR until a normal DVD/BRD is released  Smiley

Eddie Muller's intro: https://youtu.be/vHFtLa6PHac

Eddie Muller's afterword: https://youtu.be/3Am4ltNECrY

In the intro, at the 2:00 mark, Muller mistakenly refers to the leading lady as "DORIS Del Rio" her name is actually, of course, DOLORES del Rio.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:20:59 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »

Thanks again for uploading, D & D. I'll add an old review of mine later, it needs a bit of reworking.

Jessica Rabbit
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM