Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 11:36:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Journey Into Fear (1943)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Journey Into Fear (1943)  (Read 1955 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:05:45 AM »

Director: Norman Foster, Writers: Orson Welles (screenplay), Joseph Cotten (screenplay), Richard Collins uncredited & Ben Hecht uncredited. Staring Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Dolores del Rio, Agnes Moorehead, Jack Durant, and Everett Sloane.

Pleasantly surprised, what really makes this great is that you never know what's happening next, a caveat to that is you also don't know if this is intentional or if the studio cuts made it more convoluted. Either way the chiaroscuro cinematography, the sound design, studio sets, and the bizarre characters that Joseph Cotten encounters in The Levant aboard a cattle boat are priceless (68 minute cut) 8/10

a short atmospheric vid I put together, enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ifp3puJHVY

From IMDb:

Of such strokes is suspense made…, 24 April 2005

Author: ironside (robertfrangie@hotmail.com) from Mexico

The operatic approach of adding a musical dimension to menace with a killer-theme on the soundtrack has been greatly used in Orson Welles' glorious suspense film, "Journey Into Fear," where the little killer obsessively played a scratchy old 78 rpm disc of someone singing "Chagrin d'Amour."

The assassin was short and fat; his belly large, his chin and neck flabby... I do not recall him having a line of dialog to speak… But the whole film was spread with heightened menace when he sat, his little round eyes blank behind his little round pebble lenses, listening compulsively to the atrociously scratchy record, confusing the words of the song at the wrong speed, the needle jumping from groove to groove; his nerve-ends, unlike ours, immune to the discordance…

This was a spy thriller set in the wartime Near East, about an innocent American engineer (Joseph Cotten), pursued by Nazi agents and blundering from danger to danger without seeming to know too much of what it was all about…It was essentially a hunter-and-hunted story, with settings that were often seedy but always exotic…

The opening was in Istanbul, the climax in Batum, and all the terrors between were forced claustrophobically between the low ceilings and narrow partitions of a neglected little steamer plowing the Black Sea…

"Journey Into Fear" lives for its portrait gallery, its atmosphere, and for Welles' touches and excesses…

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:03:23 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »

Although Norman Foster is credited as the director, it's generally held to have been made by Welles.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:08:27 PM »

Good film from what I remember (which all I can remember is something to do with a boat at the end ...or was it the whole movie?). Watched it during a Welles-spree I had a few years back when I heard that he was basically the director.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:17:42 AM »

Yea the cattle boat was 3/4 of the film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »

I give this a 7/10

One big problem is with the production design; they make no attempt to give you any illusion that they are actually on a ship. A couple of long establishing shots of rear projections of a boat on water, and all the rest is just a bunch of soundstages, they don't even try to pretend that there is any water in sight. This movie could just as well have taken place on a train. The Narrow Margin, for spies instead of gangsters  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:51:10 PM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Into-Fear-Orson-Welles/dp/B001AZ4QQI/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1468195940&sr=1-3&keywords=journey+into+fear

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »

What's the deal with this one - did Welles direct it fully? co-direct? still controversy?

is there a big different between European cut and others?

I watched it on TCM a few years back. I liked it generally but it was definitely forgettable...I think I remember a boat?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 08:20:28 PM »

What's the deal with this one - did Welles direct it fully? co-direct? still controversy?

is there a big different between European cut and others?

I watched it on TCM a few years back. I liked it generally but it was definitely forgettable...I think I remember a boat?

I don't know what the differences are, yet.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »

I vaguely remember this movie; I saw it once a few years ago, probably on TCM. I think Welles plays a Turkish general or something, a pretty enjoyable character to watch.

As I was watching the movie - without knowing any background at all - I figured that Welles must have been involved with the direction. There are some unconventional shots - I particularly remember one in a car chase - that definitely seem unique.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »

It's a Welles film directed by someone else, but most likely also directed in parts by Welles himself. Fine thriller. 7 or 8/10

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »

There is a French release too (assuming the European cut?)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews10/journey_into_fear.htm

Out of curiosity why are you linking to amazon.co.uk for a Spanish release? Wouldn't amazon.es make more sense?

https://www.amazon.es/Journey_Into_Fear-DVD-Orson-Welles/dp/B001AZ4QQI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468432182&sr=8-4&keywords=journey+into+fear

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 12:35:19 PM »

There is a French release too (assuming the European cut?)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews10/journey_into_fear.htm

Out of curiosity why are you linking to amazon.co.uk for a Spanish release? Wouldn't amazon.es make more sense?

https://www.amazon.es/Journey_Into_Fear-DVD-Orson-Welles/dp/B001AZ4QQI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468432182&sr=8-4&keywords=journey+into+fear

I assume it's because everyone here speaks English but not everyone speaks Spanish  Wink

Just comparing the two prices, for Americans: at the moment, the Spanish price is cheaper: 8.99 euros = 9.99 dollars, whereas 10.51 pounds = 13.83 dollars. I am not sure about shipping costs.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 12:44:01 PM »

I don't know what the differences are, yet.

do you even know for sure that there are any differences?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:05:28 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 04:12:20 AM »

do you even know for sure that there are any differences?

I'll know when I get it. Stand by.

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 06:48:38 AM »

I was caught out by the brevity of the film. I was really getting into it with the rain-swept window ledge scene. Then wham bang it's all over.

I like Joseph Cotten in this, getting embroiled in a situation he doesn't understand like he did later in 'The Third Man.' It's very mysterious and menacing which are the qualities that I really like in a film.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM