Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:22:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Morricone vs Tarantino
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morricone vs Tarantino  (Read 2043 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2013, 10:20:16 PM »

http://it.cinema.yahoo.com/blog/multisala/ennio-morricone-boccia-quentin-tarantino-non-ci-lavorerei-143603436.html

During a lesson at Luiss University. "I wouldn't like to work with QT. His choice of music is incoherent and I'm helpless with someone like that". "I didn't like DU: too much blood"; "I wrote that tune (featured in DU) for Elisa and not for T. He took the  awfully arranged  demo, with just piano, directly from Sugar (the record company)  with no responsability and respect."

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 12:25:23 AM »

For me, when Tarantino uses Morricone's scores, not only do they not have much of an impact on his movies but in a way cheapen his scores.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:26:44 AM »

I think this type of music belongs in a Tarantino film, not Morricone's epic scores - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3oSWHfVU8

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »

Frayling says that Morricone hates the word "Spaghetti Western." When QT sent EM his script for Inglorious Basterds, which he wanted EM to score, the script said, in one tense moment, "this is a Spaghetti Western" moment. EM threw the script away right then and there. He says it somewhere in this lecture http://www.watershed.co.uk/dshed/filmic-christopher-frayling-few-guitars-more

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:47:35 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »

I guess Tarantino shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:34:48 AM »

Frayling says that Morricone hates the word "Spaghetti Western." When QT sent EM his script for Inglorious Basterds, which he wanted EM to score, the script said, in one tense moment, "this is a Spaghetti Western" moment. EM threw the script away right then and there. He says it somewhere in this lecture http://www.watershed.co.uk/dshed/filmic-christopher-frayling-few-guitars-more
For what it's worth, in Italy they are very seldom called "spaghetti westerns" but rather "western all'italiana" or "italian style westerns" and there is certainly a definite distinction between Sergio's movies and the rest, with just 3-4 directors who are rated a bit higher than the rest (e.g. Sollima, Corbucci, Damiani). In any case, I personally think that by now nobody should refer to Sergio's westerns as "spaghetti westerns" any longer (I hate the term myself like Ennio, at least when we talk about SL).
It's like calling Ben Hur or Spartacus an american "cheeseburger sword and sandal movie" or an "apple pie sword and sandal movie".
These are all just simply beautiful movies, in short masterpieces, with no age and no name tag.

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:48:07 AM »

haha "cheeseburger sword and sandal movie" nice!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »

For what it's worth, in Italy they are very seldom called "spaghetti westerns" but rather "western all'italiana" or "italian style westerns" and there is certainly a definite distinction between Sergio's movies and the rest, with just 3-4 directors who are rated a bit higher than the rest (e.g. Sollima, Corbucci, Damiani). In any case, I personally think that by now nobody should refer to Sergio's westerns as "spaghetti westerns" any longer (I hate the term myself like Ennio, at least when we talk about SL).
It's like calling Ben Hur or Spartacus an american "cheeseburger sword and sandal movie" or an "apple pie sword and sandal movie".
These are all just simply beautiful movies, in short masterpieces, with no age and no name tag.

But you know that "western all'italiana" was devised as a derogatory locution, just as "commedia all'italiana". Your translating "western all'italiana" as "italian style western" leaves aside the fact that Italians like to criticize themselves and that doing things "all'italiana" is intended as something done as best as it can be done with few means, little time and little care for particulars.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »

while the term "spaghetti westerns" had negative connotations during the movies' heyday, the fact is that by now it is simply used as a descriptive term (or perhaps a term of endearment  Wink ) nobody means it negatively now. But I can see how someone like Morricone that was offended by it in the 60's wouldn't start warming up to it now. Especially since maybe he felt sensitive about people looking down on him for being a spaghetti western composer, etc. Just a guess, but as we're discussing, Frayling says even now he prefers not to be known for his Westerns. Would that be the case if he had scored the big John Ford or Howard Hawks films, rather than the spags? I'd guess not

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »

German term is Italo Western. Prefer it any day to Spaghetti Western

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »

I hated the use of music in IB apart from a couple good ideas and really liked it in Django. We all understand where Ennio is coming from, but he's obviously the narrow minded one here. It's another way to use music. You may like it or not, but try saying "you cannot do anything with someone like that" is plain wrong.

I read a great comment about this yesterday. It was an answer to another comment.

First comment: It must be harsh for QT to lose the respect of his idol.
Answer: Don't worry, QT didn't lose the respect of his biggest idol: himself.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 07:02:28 AM »

So, Ennio clarified everything. THe article is in French but I guess you can find this in English anywhere:

http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/Non-Ennio-Morricone-ne-deteste-pas-Quentin-Tarantino-3702612

In this article, Morricone states that what has been quoted is wrong and out of context. He's worried about that. He says he respects QT a lot, he's glad that QT chose his music and he liked his meeting with QT. He doesn't like mixing different style of musics in a same movie. And he takes back the bit about "we'll never work together" (replaces it by: "When I write music, I'm always afraid not to be compatible with the director's work".

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM