Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 01:57:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tension (1950)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tension (1950)  (Read 1040 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:20:43 AM »

Director: John Berry Writers: Allen Rivkin (screenplay), John D. Klorer (story), Stars: Richard Basehart, Audrey Totter, Barry Sullivan, William Conrad, Lloyd Gough and Cyd Charisse. A meek henpecked eyeglass wearing druggist (Basehart) is cuckolded by his femme fatale, round heeled, floozy of a wife (Totter) who runs off with a liquor salesman (Gough) to live on the beach at Malibu. After getting the proverbial "sand kicked in the face" treatment by Totter's new boyfriend. He makes up his mind  to confront the situation and Basehart decides to kill the salesman.

Its part of a double DVD release with "Where Danger Lives"

Basehart & Totter

He goes to the optometrist gets fitted for contacts, rents an apartment under an assumed name and plans out his murder scheme. He becomes a new man. His cute neighbor latches on to his new identity and he feels mutual attraction. When the moment arrives he finds that he can't go through with the murder, and decides to pursue Charisse and leave Totter to Gough.

But its Noirville and Gough turns up dead and the police are looking for Basehart's alter ego. Sullivan and Conrad play the cops investigating the murder.

Totter looks seriously hot in a bathing-suit,  Basehart , Totter, Sullivan & Conrad are great, Charisse is ok. The commentary (which I haven't listened to yet is supposed to have Audrey Totter) 8/10

Alternate discussion here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg37336#msg37336

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:14:12 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »

Cyd Charisse had the 20th Century's greatest body.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:31:46 PM »

Cyd Charisse had the 20th Century's greatest body.

Charisse was wearing pants Totter was more on display in this one  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »

I saw this movie a while ago on TCM. Decent watch; I'd rate it a 7/10

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:29:20 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 04:20:37 AM »

The commentary isn't up to Ursini-Silver or Ursins-Ellroy standards (those combos are very entertaining), and Totter wasn't really a part of it (they had a couple of quotes from her sounding as if they were recorded in a nursing home).  Embarrassed

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 02:26:31 PM »

I finally got around to seeing this - I've had that Warner vol 4 noir set (which seems to almost be personally constructed for my noir taste) for a while - and this was better than I hoped.

Barry Sullivan's character is surprisingly sleazy, which makes it even stranger because this technically is a police procedural. His actions (I know the opener is sort of an explanation but I still found that aspect unique) don't really have any negative consequences.

I was expecting this to play it straight and have it turn into a lovers on the run - with Charisse's character an unknowing accomplice - and I'm glad the script didn't go that route. With that said, Totter's character essentially kills her lover for the convenience of the plot. There should have been some subplot for it to make more sense.

I don't know if Cyd Charisse has ever looked better, though I haven't seen that much of her work compared to many of her then contemporaries. I like more of a cocktail waitress type body - think Monroe or Cardinale - but Charisse was one of the prettiest actresses to ever appear on film imo. She's absolutely stunning in this one.

It's always nice to see William Conrad and there are some nice locations here.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:18:16 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

I like more of a cocktail waitress type body - think Monroe or Cardinale - but Charisse was one of the prettiest actresses to ever appear on film imo.

How can you compare the bodies of Monroe and Cardinale? Monroe was much more petite; Cardinale was much more woman. Not saying Monroe didn't have great assets (one critic in the early 50's famously remarked, "she's got her whole future behind her  Wink ) but she and Cardinale did not have similar bodies

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:35:18 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »

I never said they had the exact same build, but I would definitely consider MM's body curvy, especially at the peak of her career.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM