Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 04:59:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Deception (1946)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deception (1946)  (Read 852 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »

Deception (1946) Noir-ish classical music world women's melodrama, good performances by Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, and Claude Rains with lavish sets and nice score. The DVD from Netflix is a beautiful pressing, Extra features include an interesting commentary track  by film historian Foster Hirsch.

From IMDb

Superb Trio in Classic of Classical Music Score, 21 February 2008

Author: phd12166 from United States

One of the few actors of Bette Davis' time who could match her screen intensity was Claude Rains. Paul Henreid is paired with Davis as her true love for another convincing romance. But, the script-stealing scene is between Davis and Rains. Matched penultimately perfect for the picture, Davis and Rains match each other's most intense acting skills during a major bedroom blow-out between them. I live to watch that scene over and again for its acting mastery.

Since Deception is about three classical music artists, the classical music score makes Deception's choice script musically enhanced to a classy degree. I love how Rains takes "the 4th Warner Brother's" acting intensity and levels it with his own. Even Bogie couldn't do that when staged with Davis! Don't miss this tightly wound triangulation with Henreid underplaying himself as his role calls for.

A way underrated treasure, 14 April 2009

Author: meyermihm from United States

How did I never come across Deception (1946) before? It's got to be Claude Rains' most delicious role. He absolutely has a blast playing the grand, tyrannical, jealous composer who hates giving Bette up to Paul Henreid, her former lover who has just returned from Europe at the end of the war. Both men are wickedly jealous of each other. The scene where the great composer unexpectedly arrives at Bette's and Paul's festive wedding party at her great loft apartment overlooking the river in New York (modeled on Leonard Bernstein's apartment) and trades poisonous banter with Bette and Paul makes the movie worth it by itself. But every scene is a gem, such as the scene where Claude takes them to a haute cuisine French restaurant and spends 10 minutes going back and forth over whether to order pheasant, trout, or saddle of lamb and whether to go with a Hermitage or a Vosne Romanee wine. This is some of the sharpest, wittiest dialogue I've seen in a movie, rivaling Ernst Lubitsch and every bit as good as in All About Eve. Oh, and I forgot to mention the amazingly good symphony performance scenes, with an original cello concerto by Korngold, ("played" by Henreid with the arms of two real cellists reaching in from either side to play the instrument). And Bette, a trained pianist, playing Beethoven at her wedding party (she really wanted to play it herself but Jack Warner decided against it but you can see she knows what she's doing in fingering the keys). If you haven't seen it, do check it out.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
rexlic
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »

Deception (1946) Noir-ish classical music world women's melodrama, good performances by Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, and Claude Rains with lavish sets and nice score. The DVD from Netflix is a beautiful pressing, Extra features include an interesting commentary track  by film historian Foster Hirsch.

From IMDb

Superb Trio in Classic of Classical Music Score, 21 February 2008

Author: phd12166 from United States

One of the few actors of Bette Davis' time who could match her screen intensity was Claude Rains. Paul Henreid is paired with Davis as her true love for another convincing romance. But, the script-stealing scene is between Davis and Rains. Matched penultimately perfect for the picture, Davis and Rains match each other's most intense acting skills during a major bedroom blow-out between them. I live to watch that scene over and again for its acting mastery.

Since Deception is about three classical music artists, the classical music score makes Deception's choice script musically enhanced to a classy degree. I love how Rains takes "the 4th Warner Brother's" acting intensity and levels it with his own. Even Bogie couldn't do that when staged with Davis! Don't miss this tightly wound triangulation with Henreid underplaying himself as his role calls for.

A way underrated treasure, 14 April 2009

Author: meyermihm from United States

How did I never come across Deception (1946) before? It's got to be Claude Rains' most delicious role. He absolutely has a blast playing the grand, tyrannical, jealous composer who hates giving Bette up to Paul Henreid, her former lover who has just returned from Europe at the end of the war. Both men are wickedly jealous of each other. The scene where the great composer unexpectedly arrives at Bette's and Paul's festive wedding party at her great loft apartment overlooking the river in New York (modeled on Leonard Bernstein's apartment) and trades poisonous banter with Bette and Paul makes the movie worth it by itself. But every scene is a gem, such as the scene where Claude takes them to a haute cuisine French restaurant and spends 10 minutes going back and forth over whether to order pheasant, trout, or saddle of lamb and whether to go with a Hermitage or a Vosne Romanee wine. This is some of the sharpest, wittiest dialogue I've seen in a movie, rivaling Ernst Lubitsch and every bit as good as in All About Eve. Oh, and I forgot to mention the amazingly good symphony performance scenes, with an original cello concerto by Korngold, ("played" by Henreid with the arms of two real cellists reaching in from either side to play the instrument). And Bette, a trained pianist, playing Beethoven at her wedding party (she really wanted to play it herself but Jack Warner decided against it but you can see she knows what she's doing in fingering the keys). If you haven't seen it, do check it out.

Funny, just saw this photo posted this week, of the NYC theater which became the 8th Street Playhouse, between 5th and 6th, a revival joint that shuttered in the '90s:

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »

cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »

Deception (1946) Noir-ish classical music world women's melodrama, good performances by Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, and Claude Rains with lavish sets and nice score.
Watched this on your recommendation, but didn't like it much. Although I generally enjoy Rains' Charming Swine routine (Casablanca, Notorious, The Unsuspected, et al) I found his character here unsufferable. Henreid was bland, Davis annoying (I always find her so). The music Korngold wrote for the film--the cello concerto--was terrific, but didn't adequately compensate me for all the other failings. The plot really had nowhere to go and took too long to get there. I guess the photography and set designs were nice.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »

Watched this on your recommendation, but didn't like it much. Although I generally enjoy Rains' Charming Swine routine (Casablanca, Notorious, The Unsuspected, et al) I found his character here unsufferable. Henreid was bland, Davis annoying (I always find her so). The music Korngold wrote for the film--the cello concerto--was terrific, but didn't adequately compensate me for all the other failings. The plot really had nowhere to go and took too long to get there. I guess the photography and set designs were nice.

At best its about a 6.5/10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM