Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 06:35:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ten Favorite Acting Performances
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ten Favorite Acting Performances  (Read 9666 times)
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 07:19:41 AM »

I chose my performances according to A.) but I would say maybe Eli Wallach as Tuco and Sylvester Stallone as Rocky belong to both A.) and B.)

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:23 PM »

Eddie Muller on acting performances then and now comparing Criss Cross with Soderbergs remake The Underneath ( from Dark City 1998):

"In the best noir actors play with a bold flourish. They understand that memorable moments are way up there - dangerously close to over-the-top"  "...possessed a innate sense of how to colorfully sketch a character ---- a caricature, really ---- while nailing the priorities: advance the story, and entertain the audience."

"... to accommodate the the supposedly more sophisticated tastes of contemporary audiences, (the) film is relentlessly "realistic". It bricklays motivations for every character to lend the proceedings as much credibility as possible. The actors sell the material with the studied naturalism now required of dramatic film acting. As a result, (the) film is an involving, but forgettable 120 minutes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 05:22:29 PM »

Some of mine are rather obscure... for a Sergio Leone board. Roll Eyes It's not a definitive list, though fairly close to definitive right now.

I do enjoy Eli Wallach as Tuco, of course.

Viktor Preiss as the actor Benda in "Zmizení herce Bendy" ("The Disappearance of the Actor Benda"), a Czech TV film from 2010 based on a short story by Karel Čapek. He does not get much room, as the story concerns his disappearance Wink, but he's perfect in the role. EDIT: Actually, Tomáš Töpfer as his friend who investigates the disappearance is excellent as well.

Another of my favourite actors is Rudolf Hrušínský. Objectively speaking, his best role is probably in Spalovač mrtvol; but it's a repulsive character and I can't list it as favourite because I saw it once and that's enough for a lifetime... and as favourites go, I'll go with the rather obscure children's film Strašidla z vikýře, where he plays the heroine's quirky grandfather who's been trying to fly for years... he's both energetic and driven and completely heartbroken in the film, and a lot of fun to watch.

Jan Kačer in Valley of the Bees. He's so intense, and took the role so seriously.

Boguslaw Linda as Robak in Pan Tadeusz. That has something to do with my love for Pan Tadeusz in general... and he's closely followed by Daniel Olbrychski as Gervazy in the same.

Jessica Tandy in Driving Miss Daisy. The way she goes from the spry, commanding elderly lady she's in the beginning to the brittle truly old lady she's in the end...

Konkona Sen Sharma in Aaja Nachle. Yes, that's Bollywood. Her character undergoes a fairly clichéd transformation from a tomboy into a pretty girl/romantic interest. Kind of a Cinderella transformation. But she does it fantastically, believably.

Magda Vášáryová as Princess Slavěna in Princ Bajaja. OK, so she had some other more "serious" roles... but this fairy tale princess is just what she should be, and believe me, that's not what everyone can do. As testified by many recent Czech fairy tales...

Riiight... Ivana Baquero in Pan's Labyrinth was unbelievable. (I'm going through my five star ratings on ČSFD to refresh my memory.)

And Daniela Kolářová as Alena in Noc na Karlštejně. One of the best comedic roles I know; in a film that's not quite perfect, she definitely lifts it in my eyes. Particularly because I mostly know her in roles of very serious women otherwise.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:19:47 AM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM