Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:15:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sherlock Holmes Movies
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes Movies  (Read 5179 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (1991-93) Of a declining value compared to the two previous cycles. But that goes also for the literary basis, so it's no wonder. Actually I remember the reading of the last two collections of Holmes tales more boring than what I experienced watching the filmed versions. And thanx to Brett (in a declining form, though) they are better than most of the common fare in the cinematic mystery field.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1994) Mediocre series (just as the literary source though) redeemed only partially by Brett's performance in the last episode of the series, The Cardboard Box.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »

The Sign of Four (1987)  It has a good Brett performance and that is enough to warrant vision. The boat-chase is good too. But I prefer the Cushing's   version. 7\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1988) Holmes has little part in the story, so Brett has little to do. Hardwicke is not my favourite Watson and the moor as seen here doesn't look as good as the studio recreated one in the Rathbine flicks. 6\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »

A Study in Terror (1965) A good movie though inferior to the second featuring Jack The Ripper, Murder by Decree. I don't like Houston's Watson, but Neville's Holmes might have been an inspiration for Brett's delivery. 7\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »

The Name of the Rose (1986) I saw it in a theatre and then no more until last night. It's a good whodunit with some excellent players (above all Scialiapin and Perlman). Still I prefer reading the book: Annaud didn't take any risk, just did a simple homework. 8\10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 02:17:05 AM »

The Name of the Rose (1986) I saw it in a theatre and then no more until last night. It's a good whodunit with some excellent players (above all Scialiapin and Perlman). Still I prefer reading the book: Annaud didn't take any risk, just did a simple homework. 8\10

Terrible film despite good acting and production design. Good example for making shit out of gold. Extremely entertaining book, lame film

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 04:25:28 PM »

What about Cadfael, btw?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »

What about Cadfael, btw?

Books highly recommended; from the series, definitely the first season, maybe the second, the last one is uh-oh.
Some of that may have something to do with me enjoying Sean Pertwee as Hugh Beringar a lot, unlike the other two actors. But the last episode of the series would be better left out; it changed the book an awful lot, without much justification for the changes.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »

Books highly recommended; from the series, definitely the first season, maybe the second, the last one is uh-oh.
Some of that may have something to do with me enjoying Sean Pertwee as Hugh Beringar a lot, unlike the other two actors. But the last episode of the series would be better left out; it changed the book an awful lot, without much justification for the changes.

Thanks, it's on YT also, I might check it out. Cool

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM