Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 03:17:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Boots
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boots  (Read 4403 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »

How popwerful those close-ups of boots before the final duel are: USA vs Mexico, is all there. But still one can't but wonder why nobody had thought about it before. Those close-ups are still fresh today because they are not an end in itself but are subservient to the economicity of the tale. Eastwood is sure of himself as he plants himself in front of the camera, Ramon lateral movement alludes to the baroquism of his way of killing and maybe the forethought that this isn't going to be simple. Am I reading too much onto it? Maybe. But no western practitioner has even come near to Leone for this kind of minimalistic effects, all the more admirable because of their simpllicity.

CISCO
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 02:55:53 AM »

i never noticed this observation before titoli.  joe's stance is ready to TCOB, while ramone's boots are shaking a little,  like the expression on his face when he see's joe is back to settle up w/ all the rojo's.   Lips Sealed    

anybody noticed the way harmonica approaches frank from the rear, after he plugs frank, to put the harmonica in his mouth  frank's point of dyin ' is rapidly approching. harmonica is a man of of his word. delli collie has the an  idinical shot  of tuco walking  down  on the sand dune blondie has rolled down to say goodby to blondie.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 03:12:02 AM by cisco » Logged
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 04:44:47 AM »

The close ups of the boots are definitelly one of the things that make the final scene so impressive.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 08:41:15 AM »

I expect somebody to come up with an example of the same kind of effects from Yojimbo...

Faisalha9159
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 09:03:56 AM »

The whole boots business was extremely cool, and the thought of USA vs Mexico did cross my mind especially when you hear Ramon say "The Americano is dead" and all his "gringo" taunts. However I don`t remember Ramones boots shaking at all, in fact what I remember is the way Ramon just jerks his Winchester with one hand to load up a new bullet with the rest of them taking up positions behind him. In my opinion, I would say that Ramone was over confident rather than scared. All in all Ramone was a very stylish kind of character and the whole scene was amazing.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 09:59:28 AM »

I expect somebody to come up with an example of the same kind of effects from Yojimbo...

I don't remember anything like that... Yojimbo is quite different, actually.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 10:15:44 AM »

Yojimbo is quite different, actually.

Quite, yeah.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 10:24:07 AM »

Quite, yeah.

I felt the story was presented in a different way. It's probably the reason why we still watch FOD, though it's based on Yojimbo.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 02:05:36 PM »

Close-ups of geta sandals? Somehow, I don't think they'd have the same effect...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 04:05:38 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »

Cose-ups of geta sandals? Somehow, I don't think they'd have the same effect...

I think it would have to be another sort of "comparison" shots. However, I really can't remember anything like that being in Yojimbo's final scene... except the sword/revolver thing, of course, but that's more of a similarity to Joe's revolver and Ramon's rifle.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 02:21:53 PM »

Cose-ups of geta sandals? Somehow, I don't think they'd have the same effect...

Leone himself shared your same view. That's why he made a western.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM