Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:54:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  D-Day
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: D-Day  (Read 1404 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:17:25 PM »

69th anniversary of D-Day.

God bless those who fought for our freedom

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 01:19:52 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 01:07:50 PM »

Yep, I thought about that on the 6th.  I oftentimes wish I had been born 30 years earlier, so I could've participated; I feel I missed out on something truly important.  I would've liked to be one of Aldo's "basterds" in Inglorious Basterds.

My dad was in the Army Air Corp during WW2, never said anything about what he did, but there were hints he was involved in the meterology division, with the Normandy invasion.  Only after he died did we find out that he had been a sergeant.  So if he did anything real important, he kept that to himself.  He did not keep any uniforms or Air Corp stuff.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:58:46 AM »

Yep, I thought about that on the 6th.  I oftentimes wish I had been born 30 years earlier, so I could've participated; I feel I missed out on something truly important.  I would've liked to be one of Aldo's "basterds" in Inglorious Basterds.

My dad was in the Army Air Corp during WW2, never said anything about what he did, but there were hints he was involved in the meterology division, with the Normandy invasion.  Only after he died did we find out that he had been a sergeant.  So if he did anything real important, he kept that to himself.  He did not keep any uniforms or Air Corp stuff.

Careful what you wish for; it may all sound glamorous now, but those boys faced hell when they hit those beaches. I read a book by a former Lt. in WWII, he said that in addition to their other basic weapons and supplies, each soldier was given in his backpack an extra change of underwear -- because the sheer terror of battle can cause a person to lose complete control of his functions and crap his pants. Nobody who actually fought will tell you there was anything glamorous about it. (Especially like the shit in Inglorious Basterds. I never watched that movie cuz from what I've heard it's basically a comedy about Nazis and I don't find that shit funny, I don't think there is anything funny about Nazis; ask someone who suffered from the Nazis is see if they think there's anything comedic about it. To Quentin Tarantino, everything is funny whether Nazis or slavery. Fuck him).

There's no doubt that those who did fight for freedom in WWII were a special group of people and have a great merit, but just be thankful we have our freedom today, and appreciative that we do not have to go through what they did  Wink

(This Lt. whose book I read, I believe he participated in the invasion of Normandy though I don't remember if he was from the first wave to hit the beaches; but he was definitely involved in some major fighting. He was in the Signal Corps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Corps_%28United_States_Army%29
 If you saw Patton, remember the sequence where Gen. Patton marched his soldiers for days and asked the priest for a prayer to clear the weather so they could free a bunch of soldiers who were besieged in the snow in Bastogne -- well this Lt. was one of those besieged in Bastogne http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bastogne ).

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:06:45 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:20:17 AM »

70th anniversary of D-Day today.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 05:25:37 AM »

Yes it is.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 01:59:07 PM »

Today is the 72nd anniversary of D-Day

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wwii-d-day-invasion-normandy-remembered-72-years-later/

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 10:40:28 AM »

Yes it is.

What happened last year?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »

Glad you remembered. I was the only one at work who brought it up. Even the history guy forgot about it. I wish there was a good movie to watch on the subject but I don't like any of the ones I know . . .

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »

Glad you remembered. I was the only one at work who brought it up. Even the history guy forgot about it. I wish there was a good movie to watch on the subject but I don't like any of the ones I know . . .

Saving Private Ryan - whether or not you like the plot - has great D-Day footage.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 07:08:17 AM »

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a movie about D-Day.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »

I've never seen THE LONGEST DAY. Have you?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »

Of course. It has a few good sequences, but mostly it stinks.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »

Of course. It has a few good sequences, but mostly it stinks.

It's a boring movie. But the huge cast makes it a nice watch every 5 years or so. Mostly around christmas.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 02:35:57 AM »

A boring movie is a nice watch?

Films like The Longest Day or A Bridge too Far are not that bad, they suffer from elephantism and the wish to please everyone. And from too many simple humour and simplified characters. Oh what a Lovely War would have been too often a fitting title for both.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM