Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 05:43:39 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  D-Day
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: D-Day  ( 4301 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #15 : June 08, 2017, 02:46:48 AM »

A boring movie is a nice watch...
... every 5 years or so around Christmas. Yep. That's what I said.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #16 : June 06, 2018, 10:03:12 AM »

74th anniversary today

https://apnews.com/ffd4c36bd8544dde913cf7237416a736/Veterans,-families-mark-74-years-since-Allied-D-Day-landings

http://citizensvoice.com/news/some-things-you-will-never-forget-veteran-recalls-d-day-1.2346168

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jun/06/paul-turner-on-your-calendar-or-not-d-day-worth-re/

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/06/sons_salute_their_fathers_role.html

https://foto.gettyimages.com/archive/historic/rare-color-photos-of-d-day/?utm_campaign=gi-home&utm_medium=web&utm_source=hero3

« : June 06, 2018, 02:02:55 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #17 : June 06, 2019, 06:09:56 AM »

Today is the 75th anniversary. Being a nice even number, this years memorial is far bigger than usual.

RE: THE LONGEST DAY, I have a friend who is a war buff (really a buff in all things history), he is particularly obsessed with D-Day, he told me that as a youngster he saw TLD around 30 times!

I saw it not long ago for the first time. It tries to cover a little bit of everything. So you never really get to follow one group for too long. Its like if 10 different documentaries were made about 10 different elements of D-Day, and they used a 15-minute section of each one. Which means that no matter how long the movie may be, it is really not long enough.

TCM is showing WWII movies all day. Ill DVR some (including TLD again) and watch eventually.

p.s. My buddy visited Normandy about 20 years ago and he is (still) furious; he says these historic beaches are not properly maintained.

We saved the French asses and they cant even keep it up properly, he says. What about that, n_l?

p.p.s. Miss France tells me that Normandy is where the French rednecks live.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #18 : June 06, 2019, 06:23:32 AM »

Watch Saving Private Ryan for 2nd time to better understand D-Day.  Ordinary folks had to either die where they disembarked from the transports or move forward towards the Germans.  The Atlantic Wall that the Germans spent several years, millions of Reichmarks, and lives of many enslaved people building was breached in a few hours.

Had that landing failed, many think that the USA would've pulled out of the European war.  That's the scenario of several "alternate history" books and films too.

Great film too.  Especially liked the pan shot a couple of days after showing the large amount of Allied ships now docked there.  And the morph shot of Matt Damon into the older character at the end was done extremely well.  Coordinating the scenes with action in both foreground and background was very Leone-esque.

« : June 08, 2019, 05:12:32 AM Cusser »
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19 : June 06, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »

We saved the French asses and they cant even keep it up properly, he says. What about that, n_l?

Haha I don't think you imagine how many historical landmarks per square meter we have in Europe. You guys only focus on the things you were involved in, but we have more important places to take care of :)
That being said, we now have a terrific, high budget D-Day museum in Caen, so that's where the money went I guess.

p.p.s. Miss France tells me that Normandy is where the French rednecks live.

Well, it's more complicated. First of all, we have A LOT of different places  for our French rednecks (and if you ask a true parisian, he'll tell you everybody outside of Paris is a redneck. Paris was new yorkish even before New York existed). But in Normandy, we have rednecks and also rich parisians who buy houses there to spend their weekends and retirement. So it's sort of a mixed bag. Kind of like your Vermont, maybe?

« : June 07, 2019, 12:31:52 AM noodles_leone »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20 : June 06, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »

Well, it's more complicated. First of all, we have A LOT of different places  for our French rednecks (and if you ask a true parisian, he'll tell you everybody outside of Paris is a redneck. Paris was new yorkish even before New York existed). But in Normandy, we have rednecks and also rich parisians who buy houses there to spend their weekends and retirement. So it's sort of a mix bag. Kind of like your Vermont, maybe?

Lol like upstate NY

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #21 : June 06, 2019, 11:29:55 PM »

Lol like upstate NY

I was just thinking of that.

I spent every summer for years in Upstate NY.  Rednecks live in this quiet place all year long, then for two months of summer New Yorkers come up there and the rednecks dont know what hit em  ;D

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #22 : June 25, 2019, 08:47:44 PM »

RE: THE LONGEST DAY,

I saw it not long ago for the first time. It tries to cover a little bit of everything. So you never really get to follow one group for too long. Its like if 10 different documentaries were made about 10 different elements of D-Day, and they used a 15-minute section of each one. Which means that no matter how long the movie may be, it is really not long enough.

TCM is showing WWII movies all day. Ill DVR some (including TLD again) and watch eventually.

I watched The Longest Day again; my feelings are the same as before. You never get to follow or care too much about any group; none of the Allied actors are particularly great; it's more fun to watch the Germans, who are always screaming and angry.

Also, those rear projections in the shots of the generals against the water, are some of the worst rear projections I have ever seen.

Not a bad movie overall; I give it a 7/10. I can see myself watching it again on D-Day in 5 years from now.

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines