Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 05:16:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Leone vs Corbucci
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leone vs Corbucci  (Read 2256 times)
Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:00:59 PM »

OK,
I'm sure this has been discussed here already and some may find comparing the two wrong but on a few other forums I come across people who think Corbucci is a better filmmaker.

While Corbucci is great I don't think he's in league with Leone.
Leone's Westerns are like opera where there seems to be no false notes.
I don't get that from Corbucci.

I've brought up the fact that FISTFUL was the first SW as we know them today and while Corbucci made a Western before him it took FOD to inspire DJANGO...in other words Corbucci films before were more of an American style...no?

Has Corbucci ever talked about Leone?
I would love to hear anyones take on these two fimmakers

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 02:44:06 AM »

I guess it depends on what you call "best".

I'd say Leone was 10 times better, since he more or less defined cinema for 50 years. But most of the time, my father will take a movie where there is snow over anything else, so I guess he roots for the director of The Great Silence.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 03:06:21 AM »

A matter of taste, yes.
Most will say that Leone was the king of the spaghetti west, but there was always also a Corbucci fraction. Somehow Corbucci was the anti-Leone, and for that the perfect complement to the Leone style. Corbucci had the talent to rival Leone for the SW throne, and he did some daring things which went beyond what Leone did.

Fod, FAFDM and Django are the groundbreaking SWs, and GBU, OUTW, The Great Silence and The Mercenary are the culmination of form and/or content of the sub-genre. Well, and My Name Is Nobody is some kind of fitting end, a fitting afterthought. So the SW is basically Leone and Corbucci. But Corbucci had probably never made most of his westerns without Leone.
Every other SW pales compared to these, or is clearly influenced by these. With the maybe exceptions of Giulio Questi's near surreal anti western Django Kill and Robert Hossein's poetic and tragic and near abstract Cemetery without Crosses. The Trinity films are a special case, but these are at fist comedies and only then westerns.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:29:52 AM »

Also, it's easy to look down on Corbucci, who is often considered as nothing more than a genre moviemaker.
And for this reason, it's also elitist to chose the "quite obscure" Corbucci since Leone did reach mainstream and critic recognition. For instance, QT didn't even mention Leone during the Django Unchained promotion, while we know that Leone has been one of his major influences since Reservoir Dogs.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:47:27 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:34:26 AM »

I'd give some kudos to Sollima - The Big Gundown, Run Man Run, Damiani - A Bullet For The General , Petroni - Death Rides A Horse,  Tepepa also.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:35:39 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »

Also, it's easy to look down on Corbucci, who is often considered as nothing more than a genre moviemaker.
And for this reason, it's also elitist to chose the "quite obscure" Corbucci since Leone did reach mainstream and critic recognition. For instance, QT didn't even mention Leone during the Django Unchained promotion, while we know that Leone has been one of his major influences since Reservoir Dogs.

The "elitist" point is something I always consider in someones taste.
I was talking about Fabio Testi in Dead Men Ride and while I think he's brilliant  someone said his performance AND the film is much better than any Clint & Leone film... OK, the performance might be debatable but the film???
I thought this might be elitism rearing it's ugly head.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE films like Django, Great Silence, And God Said To Cain, Cemetery Without Crosses, Dead Men Ride,A Stranger In Town, Blindman, Sartana (I could go on and on) but as good as they are I don't think they're on the level of Leone's films.
Perhaps I'm biased since I've loved the Dollars Trilogy most my life whereas I didn't discover Corbucci until about 20 years ago.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »

The "elitist" point is something I always consider in someones taste.
I was talking about Fabio Testi in Dead Men Ride and while I think he's brilliant  someone said his performance AND the film is much better than any Clint & Leone film... OK, the performance might be debatable but the film???
I thought this might be elitism rearing it's ugly head.

No, it's just as I said mostly a matter of taste. Some SW fans don't like Leone that much, some think that his films are too arty, or highly overrated, or simply boring, or whatever. 

Preferring Corbucci over Leone is not that seldom.

As much as I love some of Corbucci's films, but for me GBU and OUTW are on a level of their own. But I prefer without a doubt The Great Silence and the Mercenary over all the other Leone films. Corbucci could have become a great filmmaker, but it seems he didn't care and preferred the money over the quality. It is incredible how badly directed some of his later films are. Just like talent is something you can completely lose.
But if Leone was at his best on a different level than Corbucci, than Corbucci was at his best on a different level than all the other SW directors.

Here's a top 20 list of SWs made by over 100 of top 20 lists. http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Essential_Top_20_Films

Just look at the points, and you see how popular Leone generally is. Far ahead of Corbucci and Sollima.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM