Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2021, 08:36:34 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  MANK (David Fincher, 2020)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: MANK (David Fincher, 2020)  ( 3211 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #15 : December 07, 2020, 07:57:39 PM »

New trailer, the story is becoming clearer now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSfX-nrg-lI

Wow, the speaking just doesn't stop for the length of the whole trailer. At least there are some nice visuals backing it up.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #16 : December 08, 2020, 12:18:53 AM »

The speaking doesn?t stop for the length of the whole movie.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17 : September 28, 2021, 11:23:11 AM »

This would have worked better if it used fictional characters since this seems to have little to no basis in reality. While I don't really care that much when movies take dramatic license, Mank takes 'dramatic license' to the extreme. Welles fanatics would have to be infuriated watching this, but at least it was beautifully shot, I guess. But for a Fincher movie being set in the 30's + 1940, you expect more. The first hour is really damn good, but then the 1934 CA gubernatorial election plotline really drags this down. Disappointing. Barton Fink (1991) and Ed Wood (1994) are much better movies dealing with similar subject matter. A very generous B- due to its setting and visuals.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #18 : September 28, 2021, 03:32:39 PM »

Interesting.
I found the part about the election really elevated the film above just being  another film about Hollywood
As far as ' dramatic license goes, the film was practically screaming it was fiction- all those script inserts and excerpts made it clear

« : September 28, 2021, 03:35:43 PM uncknown »

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19 : September 29, 2021, 05:38:26 AM »

This would have worked better if it used fictional characters since this seems to have little to no basis in reality. While I don't really care that much when movies take dramatic license, Mank takes 'dramatic license' to the extreme. Welles fanatics would have to be infuriated watching this, but at least it was beautifully shot, I guess. But for a Fincher movie being set in the 30's + 1940, you expect more. The first hour is really damn good, but then the 1934 CA gubernatorial election plotline really drags this down. Disappointing. Barton Fink (1991) and Ed Wood (1994) are much better movies dealing with similar subject matter. A very generous B- due to its setting and visuals.
Can't argue with anything here except the overly generous score.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines