Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2019, 07:56:14 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Quicksand (1950)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Quicksand (1950)  ( 3243 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« #15 : August 26, 2018, 08:23:47 AM »

Mickey Rooney plays Dan, a garage mechanic.  Dan wants to impress a woman he is trying to see named Vera ( Jeanne Cagney) and needs $20 to go on a date.  He decides to take the money from the garage's cash register with the intent to put it back before the books are done.  He takes the money and then comes up with a scheme to buy a $100 watch on terms. He gets the watch and pawns it.  He takes the pawn money and replaces the money in the cash register. The problem is the pawn company and the finance company caught on to what he did and intended to press charges unless he paid the watch off within 24 hours.  This sets off a chain of events that get worse for Dan.

I enjoyed the film even though the plot either was too contrived or a running gag from the director.  In EVERY instance where Dan did something wrong a third party shows up and knows exactly what he did and tells him. It became predictable to me.  Peter Lorre plays Nick, the owner of a penny arcade in the film. He even gets caught up with Dan's shenanigans. 

I learned that both Lorre and Rooney co-financed this film but were never paid by a third party.  Jeanne Cagney commented on the professionalism of Lorre and even though this was not a "A" film she stated that Lorre approached it as if it was the top "A" film of "A" films.  Many critics cite this as the best performance of Rooney's career.  He did a fantastic job going against type in this one.

I loved the musical score ( Louis Gruenberg) and the cinematography ( Lionel Lindon).  It was shot on location in Santa Monica and at the Santa Monica Pier.  Its a fabulous looking film.  I rate this one slightly above the IMDB rating of 6.6 at a solid 7 out of 10.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #16 : August 27, 2018, 04:34:04 PM »

Many critics cite this as the best performance of Rooney's career.  He did a fantastic job going against type in this one.

He's also very good in Drive A Crooked Road

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #17 : August 28, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »

He's also very good in Drive A Crooked Road

Got that on my to watch list...

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #18 : August 31, 2018, 03:14:19 AM »

I've just re-watched 'Quicksand.' It's one of those films I'm not sure what rating to give it as yet. While I was watching Mickey Rooney in this noir, I was thinking that he wasn't the only actor to give up light-hearted films to go into the genre. Dick Powell and George Raft were song and dance men in the 1930s. No doubt there are others who took the same path in the 1940s and 1950s.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #19 : September 03, 2018, 10:51:59 PM »

I like Mickey Rooney in this more than in any other of his films. I would liked to have seen him more in this type of movie.

I actually got this on DVD mainly because Peter Lorre is in it. He is always a good watch as a slimy villain.

Another one this is a good film to watch for is Minerva Urecal as the landlady. She has such a noticeable screen presence in a lot of the low budget movies in which she appeared for many years. She was good as the sinister sister in an earlier Bela Lugosi film.

I agree with you about Peter Lorre. One thing I really like about him is that he could give a low-key performance as a villain. Some other actors have to be "extravagent" about it (for lack of a better word), but Lorre could play a sleazy character with that quiet voice of his, and those eyes....

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines