Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 12:59:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Magnificent Seven (1960)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Magnificent Seven (1960)  (Read 28121 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2005, 06:48:31 PM »

I still have 20 minutes to go of the movie, but really, what a disappointment. I could make a hundred observations but I limit myself to some.
Where is located the mexican village? In the Swiss Alps? How come that these real mexicans look less peones than the ones operating in SW? Great Wallach, great McQueen (I wonder why he did have to wait some years before becoming a superstar).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2005, 07:14:06 PM »

Where is located the mexican village? In the Swiss Alps? How come that these real mexicans look less peones than the ones operating in SW?

Mexican cinema goers were so upset  from the depiction of dirty peons in the film "Vera Cruze" that they tore out the seats in theaters and thew them at the screen. The Mexican Government required Director Sturgis to have a Mexican censor on the set to make sure that the peons were shown in a good light with clean white peasant smocks etc., etc. They also required some script changes.

I just watched it again today myself.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2005, 08:36:08 AM »

Can't imagine what must have happened in mexican theatres which Fistful of Dollars was released... (it would also be fun to read contemporary mexican reviews).

Bill Carson
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2005, 03:39:56 PM »

man.... I think I'm due a viewing of this all-time classic! it's what 'two weeks off work' is all about!   Cool

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 11:06:57 PM »

The new special edition of The Magnificent Seven is a delight. As DVD Beaver has shown, the new transfer isn't much of an improvement over the old ( see comparisons at http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews20/magnificent_seven_dvd_review.htm), but the extras are all worth having. Two audio commentaries, one by Frayling! A production history doc (from 2001), a recent interview with Frayling, a very well done appreciation of the score (which we are taken through sequencially) and a look at a linen book of production stills from the film (which is commented upon by Eli Wallach). Fear not, Frayling-haters, Sir Christopher approaches the film as a fan (as he points out, the lead character is named "Chris").

The film itself does not compare favorably with Kurosawa's original, but readers of this board who have never seen it will want to view a pre-Tuco Wallach, a pre-Harmonica Bronson, and a pre-Mallory Coburn, all in the same picture. But can it be that there really are people who have never seen the film? According to the documentary, the film is the second-most shown film on American television (it doesn't mention the one most shown: would that be It's A Wonderful Life?)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:52:07 AM by Banjo » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tim
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 09:38:56 PM »

I was tempted to pick this dvd up, but I'm pretty happy with the old special edition I bought a couple of years ago.  Maybe I'll wait till the new SE is in the bargain bin and then pick it up.

As for the movie, I don't think its fair to compare it to Kurosawa's original.  The basic storyline is the same, but the execution is very different.  And as John Carpenter says in an interview on the dvd," The Magnificent Seven may not be the best western ever made, but it is definitely the most fun."  I tend to agree with the comment.

And who is brave enough to mention on this board that they haven't seen The Magnificent Seven?  I know this is the Sergio Leone board, but this is a must-see western.  Anyone?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2006, 07:31:54 AM »

Same here Tim, the original SE does me fine and I'm not really tempted to pick up this new collectors edition.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2006, 07:34:04 AM »

Same here with me also the DVD I picked up was lass that a year old then the SE came out, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2006, 03:01:39 PM »

The Magnificent Seven  (1960)                       

Directed by
John Sturges

Yul Brynner
Steve McQueen
Charles Bronson
Horst Buchholz
James Coburn 
Eli Wallach
Vladimir Sokoloff
Brad Dexter
Robert Vaughn

Recipe for a classic?

First, secure the rights to a classic, critically acclaimed Samurai film...made 6 yrs earlier.....set it in the old west.........cast your lead w/ a bald, Russian/Mongolian emigre...pass him off as a gunfighter of "Cajun" heritage......

.....throw in a "TV Cowboy"...whose few screen credits included a starring role in "The Blob", as your second lead...
........a relatively unknown Lithuanian-American actor as a Mexican/Irish half breed....
......a German actor named Horst as a young Latino known as "Chico"......
.......a well known character actor born in Moscow as a wise old Mexican peasant........
.....and a Jewish method actor from the Broadway stage and TV as a ruthless Mexican bandit........& waddya get? Not the best western ever made (although certainly a case can be made for it's being one of 'em).......but possibly the most fun.

It worked...maybe because it was so rousing..& so much fun..w/ that superb score..that you just want it to work..need it to work...& let it take you wherever it leads. Numerous wonderful scenes .. One that sticks out for me is..after Chris & Vin have driven the hearse back down from the cemetery..a guy comes up & offers Chris a drink...and asks "Where ya from"?........answered w/ a thumb pointing back over the shoulder............."Where ya headed"?....... a wordless point ahead. A simple scene...yet resonant & memorable...& defining.

Very much a "Hollywood" western......but when was it ever done better? .....Consistently colorful and exciting....wonderful characters....often eloquent... The total package is a great adventure.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2006, 03:05:32 PM »

First time seeing this Boardwalk? It's a great movie. Our old friend Tuco played Calvera perfectly.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2006, 03:16:14 PM »

First time seeing this Boardwalk?

oh..no...
I've seen it many times...including on the BIG screen....although I had to pass up an opportunity to see it again in a theater last summer.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »

this great movie will never leave my top ten westerns the cast is perfect.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2006, 04:14:14 PM »

I've said before, I'm not terribly fond of this film.  It's got some great scenes but isn't the sum of its parts IMO.  And like I've said, the only characters I really like are Britt, Bernardo, and Lee (and Calvera, but he's not one of the seven).

Saturday nights with Groggy
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2006, 04:25:02 PM »

the only characters I really like are Britt, Bernardo, and Lee (and Calvera, but he's not one of the seven).

Good for you, Robert Vaughn-wise...I'd say. Not many people would pick Lee as one of their favorites...seeing past the other glamour roles to a very good performance.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2006, 04:32:55 PM »

Well I think he's an interesting character because he's the only one of the Seven who comes across as vulnerable.  Now I know the movie was meant to "humanize" gunfighters, but really, all of the characters pretty much came across as supermen (except Chico, but he was so annoying I couldn't even pretend to like him), particularly Brynner and McQueen (McQueen alone must shoot about thirty guys in the two big shootouts).  Lee was a very flawed character who was driven out of his mind by his life experiences and tries to hide his overwhelming fear behind a veil of aloofness.  Plus Vaughn's performance is excellent, there's that too.  Wink

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM