Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:16:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Magnificent Seven (1960)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Magnificent Seven (1960)  (Read 27122 times)
KERMIT
« on: July 31, 2004, 06:16:28 PM »

my favorite film is magnificent seven. saw it when i was twelve, in 1960.  sturges great action director from the old school.

performances by charles bronson in scene when he scolds little village kids who idolize him, "it is not the gunfighter, but the villiger's themselves that carry the true weight."  yul brynner had a flair like no other at any role he played.....which brings me to a film called "catlow" directed by sam wanamaker from the novel by louis l'amour.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066900/
gleeful yul brynner plays a super-outlaw of the old west in a quest for 2 million in gold.  
could anyone please inform me if i can get this on DVD ?
jeff corey is at his usual best as are some other surprises by character actors, who's work,  we've come to know and love.  lol  Wink

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 05:46:23 AM by Banjo » Logged
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 07:47:11 PM »

my favorite film is magnificent seven. saw it when i was twelve, in 1960.  sturges great action director from the old school.

performances by charles bronson in scene when he scolds little village kids who idolize him, "it is not the gunfighter, but the villiger's themselves that carry the true weight."  yul brynner had a flair like no other at any role he played.....which brings me to a film called "catlow" directed by sam wanamaker from the novel by louis l'mour.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066900/
gleeful yul brynner plays a super-outlaw of the old west in a quest for 2 million in gold.  
could anyone please inform me if i can get this on DVD ?
jeff corey is at his usual best as are some other surprises by character actors, who's work,  we've come to know and love.  lol  Wink

Oh, my friend, are you in for a treat! You love CATLOW and MR. BRYNNER! Check out "veteran actor and his CV" in GENERAL DICUSSION section! HE IS THE MAN!!!!! Wink

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
KERMIT
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 08:31:45 PM »

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/vanhusen/YulBrynner1.jpg  Grin

« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 10:45:29 PM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 04:46:17 AM »

Watched this the other day rented a  Cry unfortunately pan and scan VHS but enjoyed it none the less. It was great to see Coburn, Bronson, and Wallach, do their thing along with McQueen and Brenner. It has a great old time type score and was better than a lot of the typical John Wayne westerns that keep cropping up on the movie channels.

I especially enjoyed Eli's "Calverra" character you could definitely see early Tuco developing, I think he's even wearing the same silver rings, check it out if you can.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The 4th Gunfighter
Road Apple

When I'm paid, I always follow my job through

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 11:39:53 AM »

I too just saw this movie in the last month, and was surprised at how good it was, and has very quickly become one of my favorite westerns. The characters are great, and story while simple, is executed perfectly. The last line of "only the farmers won - they are like the earth itselft" is very fitting and aptly describes the profession of the hired gun.

This is of course helped by the A-List cast - Brynner was a star and excellent (if sometimes a little bland) as the leader, McQeen is great as his second (& his contrast) and a scene-stealer, and of course Wallach shows how great an actor he is, even he is playing his standard Hispanic/Latin bandit (which I read that he played numerous times early in his career to establish his rep, including GBU), he still manages to do something unique in each role. Bronson manages to show his acting chops even though he got very little screen time, as both he & Coburn were under-utlized in the movie despite promising characters.

This IMO is a quintessential western, and definitely a must-see if you are a fan of the genre, Spaghetti or otherwise.

It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. You take away all he's got an' all he's ever gonna have
Yeah. Well, I guess they had it comin'
We all have it coming, Kid.
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 03:37:15 PM »

One of my very favorite non-Leone Westerns.    Great, great flick, and along with the Bud B. films continued to development of what Sergio would take to the moon.

More feeling.
KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 10:38:42 PM »

I too just saw this movie in the last month, and was surprised at how good it was, and has very quickly become one of my favorite westerns. The characters are great, and story while simple, is executed perfectly. The last line of "only the farmers won - they are like the earth itselft" is very fitting and aptly describes the profession of the hired gun.

This is of course helped by the A-List cast - Brynner was a star and excellent (if sometimes a little bland) as the leader, McQeen is great as his second (& his contrast) and a scene-stealer, and of course Wallach shows how great an actor he is, even he is playing his standard Hispanic/Latin bandit (which I read that he played numerous times early in his career to establish his rep, including GBU), he still manages to do something unique in each role. Bronson manages to show his acting chops even though he got very little screen time, as both he & Coburn were under-utlized in the movie despite promising characters.

This IMO is a quintessential western, and definitely a must-see if you are a fan of the genre, Spaghetti or otherwise.
right on target cj, 2 kinds of... & 4th gunfighter. Wink  i like the scene when the seven realize they've been "dissed" by calverra and decide the situation the've been placed in has become a question of honor. when they've been paid they see the job through.  

the discussion banardo/bronson has with the village children is priceless although later one of them gets in the way and causes bronson to get fatally shot   Lips Sealed

calverra's last words to yul having shot him, remind me of frank's last words:

calverra : "why did you come back" ? { big nod} sort of like frank's : "who ARE you" ? { bigger nod } lol
cj bats a thousand. same two silver rings tuco would wear 6 years later. lol

« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 12:16:50 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 03:27:05 PM »

This thread got me psyched and I'm watching it again for the first time in a few years.  This flick was cool before Sergio showed how cool a wester could be.

More feeling.
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 12:11:49 PM »

I Love The Magnificent Seven! It's one of the best westerns ever made and one of the best remakes ever made.

My Favorite Character out of The Magnificent Seven is Bernado O'Reilly(Charles Bronson). He's so supercool. I love the theme song. It's in the weed documentary GRASS and Michael Moore's 2004 film Fahrenheit 9/11.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 12:09:29 PM »

OK, what do others think:would Magnificent Seven have been a better film if Calvera (Wallach) had NOT returned the firearms to the Seven, that they would've snuck back, overpowered some Calvera men to get THEIR weapons, and then do battle?

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 11:23:31 AM »

Yeah you could be right!
if you like the mag.7 check out the original. Kurosawa's 7 samurai by far a better movie. lead actor Mifune is amazing even Clint is a fan.

That could just be cannon fire.
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 11:46:54 AM »

OK, what do others think:would Magnificent Seven have been a better film if Calvera (Wallach) had NOT returned the firearms to the Seven, that they would've snuck back, overpowered some Calvera men to get THEIR weapons, and then do battle?
With you there, Cusser. Always thought it was a major flaw in an almost perfect movie!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
JJ_Snakes
Road Apple

I''m a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 03:13:59 PM »

The major flaw in "Magnificent Seven" is Horst Buchholz and that stupid dance of his what he does somewhere in the film. Everything else I can even tolerate, although it has some other flaws too. Tongue

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 05:02:25 PM »

Also, speaking of Horst Buchholz, I must've seen this film a half-dozen times (starting as a little kid) until I realized that his character was supposed to be a Mexican, or a Mexican-American (OK, his character was called Chico, should've been a big clue)?  Couldn't Sturges have cast a more-hispanic actor, or at least one without the Germanic Horst Buchholz name?

KERMIT
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 07:24:31 PM »

Also, speaking of Horst Buchholz, I must've seen this film a half-dozen times (starting as a little kid) until I realized that his character was supposed to be a Mexican, or a Mexican-American (OK, his character was called Chico, should've been a big clue)?  Couldn't Sturges have cast a more-hispanic actor, or at least one without the Germanic Horst Buchholz name?
buchholz, i read somewhere, wasn't a day at the beach to work with.  

« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 11:01:35 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM